vacuum sand out of filter tank

rajung

Mar 17, 2015
Cedar Falls, Iowa
Every year when I remove sand filter tank to store, I have to use a very small cup to scoop the sand out due to the stand pipe in the middle, very time consuming.
I have read where people have used shop vacs. I have a 6 1/2 HP Rigid brand shop vac and was wondering if this would work without damage to the vac and if so, do you leave the paper filter in place or remove as in when vacuuming water out?
Just thinking vacuuming the wet sand , after the tank has drained for a few days would be brutal for the vacuum.
Thanks

I have done it with our shop vac. Yes take anything paper out as the sand will still be wet no matter how long you let it drain. I have my wheel barrow for my vac to sit in. Once the vac gets full I empty into the barrow and start over again. I do have to put some of the sand onto a tarp.

Where do you put the sand once you take it out? I only take mine out to do a super deep clean then put it right back in.

Kim:kim:

Well using the shop vac was a real skin and back saver, thanks for the request replies to all.
Ever get the feeling once you get the hang of something, its outdated, old and boring or needs replacing? job comes to mind also.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.