IC40 and ET8 salt readings

I don't believe that this is a flow switch issue... The thermistor in the flow switch can make the salt level read low or high compared to the actual salt readings, but it will not make it read zero.

I believe there is a timing issue between the cell and the main board in the EasyTouch. It works in most cases because the two unit's components are close enough, but when one of the units is manufactured with slightly different parts, the problem can pop up. In my case, I have seen the problem a couple of times, and it has gone away when the power was recycled. I suspect that my two units are just close enough to make it work again. This is not the case for most people.

I too see the fix being a software update.. We will see, but until then, my "guess" is a good as any... :p

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim for posting that. I didn’t want to go there unless u hopped in.

And to add to jim’s “Hypothesis” lol. I just replaced my board and 24 hrs have this issue. With my old board I did not. Coincidence? I think not. Lol

You don't mean close enough in proximity, right? Are you referring to manufacture date?

Remember, I have an extra troubleshooting component, the IntellipH, which is also not getting either salt or temp from the IC. So it's not just an ET/IC issue.

If I was asked to guess, it is not a flow switch issue, because the IC is not affected. It's just a fault of the IC internal circuitry. It stops reporting salt and temp back through the comm port, but updates the LEDs properly. Could be a software glitch, but then why would it work at all? Points more to an electronic component issue, that works for a while, then burns out. Can be resuscitated by a reset, which fits, then goes out again.

It's academic why. It's a defect in manufacturing, probably widespread, that Pentair doesn't want to pay for. I'm guessing (wildly) that their support staff has been informed to minimize replacements if possible. They all certainly know about it. I've run into this myself with other warranty calls. I've had several failures where I've later learned that Pentair was well aware of the issues, but did nothing to recall or inform. They hope to ride out the warranty, then leave us holding the bag. It seems to be their MO (a bean-counter mentality, instead of one of integrity and quality). Just my semi-founded opinion.

[END OF RANT]

The the pool company Pentair sent out said they swapped out the flow switch and also the cell. Neither fixed my issue so they have to order the SWG board or module that goes in the ET8 and should be installed next week.

The the pool company Pentair sent out said they swapped out the flow switch and also the cell. Neither fixed my issue so they have to order the SWG board or module that goes in the ET8 and should be installed next week.

there is something new in the mix. . .

my cell will be here by the end of the week.

so r u talking about the large logic board in the ET8 that everything plugs into or the board in the back on the right. the smaller one?

- - - Updated - - -

what exactly is that board in the back? justifying to learn.

- - - Updated - - -

and i assume the internal transformer that powers the IC inside the ET panel is just a transformer right. . . power supply only.

My SWG connects to an external transformer box. Inside that box is the transformer itself, and a circuit board. When you buy the ET with SWG guts, it must be the same: transformer and little circuit board bolted inside. It kind'a makes sense it could be that board, as for me and jimim the SWG is working, LEDs and all. So maybe the little circuit board has the components on it that translate the SWG signals coming through its cable onto the comm port line, which is what ScreenLogic uses for its interface. The four colored comm port wires from the motherboard do wire to that little SWG board...

It will be interesting to see if the SWCG power supply board will fix the issue. My gut says no, as it appears that there are no active components on the RS-485 side.. It appears to just be a place that wires from the cell get connected to the com buss on the main board... Note that I did not go out and run a continuity check on the card, but I am not sure why any RS-485 components or circuits would be needed... :confused:

I would sure like to be a fly on the wall of Pentair's Engineering Department.. "Hey guys... anyone have a clue what is causing this problem???" "...Silence... " :p

Jim R.

there is something new in the mix. . .

my cell will be here by the end of the week.

so r u talking about the large logic board in the ET8 that everything plugs into or the board in the back on the right. the smaller one?

- - - Updated - - -

what exactly is that board in the back? justifying to learn.

- - - Updated - - -

and i assume the internal transformer that powers the IC inside the ET panel is just a transformer right. . . power supply only.

I am not sure what exact board he is ordering. I will confirm with them when they come back out. I just looked at my Screen Logic and it says my salt level is 2050 ppm. Not sure if I trust that at this time. It has shown me 0 most of the time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Brent,

Did they leave you with the new cell or your old one???

If ScreenLogic says anything other than zero, them it sounds like it is working to me.. :confused:

Jim R.

I would "assume" he put my old on back. I am at the ET8 and I see it says 2050 ppm but below it it says [comm link error]. I have one bag of salt but I am worried it isn't reading the levels correctly and will be to high. The SWG is flashing green and red now.

- - - Updated - - -

Now the ET8 says [low flow] but the flow light is green so idk.

I would never add salt based on what an SWG reports. I use my Taylor K-1766. I got my first replacement SWG because my SWG was reporting salt so far off from the K-1766...

I would "assume" he put my old on back. I am at the ET8 and I see it says 2050 ppm but below it it says [comm link error]. I have one bag of salt but I am worried it isn't reading the levels correctly and will be to high. The SWG is flashing green and red now.

- - - Updated - - -

Now the ET8 says [low flow] but the flow light is green so idk.

Brent,

As long as the salt lights are flashing red and green, back and forth, the unit is calibrating itself and nothing else works correctly until it is done... It can't run calibration unless there is good flow.

I too never add salt unless I know the actual salt level. My personal process is to add salt to make the cell happy as long as the actual salt does not go over 4000. If the actual salt needs to be more than 4000 and the cell is not happy, that means the cell is off by more than 1200 ppm. Every time this has happened to me in the past, the flow switch thermistor was bad. Replacing the flow switch fixed the problem.

Because my system is no longer in warranty, I have disconnected the thermistor in the flow switch, and am using a standard water temperature thermistor in PVC the plumbing.

Thanks,

Jim R.

It will be interesting to see if the SWCG power supply board will fix the issue. My gut says no, as it appears that there are no active components on the RS-485 side.. It appears to just be a place that wires from the cell get connected to the com buss on the main board... Note that I did not go out and run a continuity check on the card, but I am not sure why any RS-485 components or circuits would be needed... :confused:

I would sure like to be a fly on the wall of Pentair's Engineering Department.. "Hey guys... anyone have a clue what is causing this problem???" "...Silence... " :p

Jim R.

jim so the card on the back wall is just a switch pretty much connecting the pump to the SWG and the transformer?

jim so the card on the back wall is just a switch pretty much connecting the pump to the SWG and the transformer?

Jim,

The little card on the back wall is the power supply for the SWCG. It just takes the AC voltage coming in from the transformer and converts it into DC voltage to run the cell. It also is where the cell is connected to the com port on the main board. The card itself has nothing to do with the pump... although it has three com ports.. The pump can be connected to any of the com port connectors, including the one on the main board, as they are all identical..

Here is a pic...

dbtgallery.php

You can see the AC coming in and the plug on J7 is where the DC and com port wires (+D and -D) go out to the cell...

Thanks,

Jim R.

The board inside my transformer box must have a similar function, but isn't the same board. It has one comm port, which wires to the ET, and it accepts those same two big red wires from the transformer. But it has a fuse, and the four wires from the SWG connector are soldered in. They also have three transistors or diodes that are soldered in but screwed to a heat sync (something to do with the ac-dc conversion, I'm sure). Maybe those are on the backside of the internal card.

No matter, as Jim pointed out, there isn't a lot going on on that card, but it definitely moves the comm signal from the SWG to the ET, so who knows. (Nice that it adds three comm ports!)

From a troubleshooting standpoint, the common component is the SWG, not the card.

i just didn't know if it had anything to do with the signal path.

my new cell will be here thursday. hopefuly i can grab my builder on his way home and we can throw it in. he lives right near me so i assume he will. he usually stops by to see where i'm at or not at with everything i got going on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.