Help with Hayward Heater IO code not ignitor!

Sep 21, 2018
waccabuc NY
I have a propane fired Hayward H400FD heater that has been working flawlessly for years. Tried to heat the pool a few days ago and got IO code, so I went to my trusty manual/online and found that it is an ignitor issue.

Opened the panel and checked all wires, all connections and wiring in tact. Pulled the ignitor plug from the board, and verified when the heater is calling for heat, there is 120V going to the ignitor. Pulled the ignitor, and checked with multimeter for continuity, and it was only 15ohms (ive read it should be between 50 and 400. So great, I thought, I need a new ignitor.

New ignitor arrived yesterday, easily installed it and BANG ........same exact IO code, with heater failing to start. There is a call for heat, the blower starts, and within a second or two it shuts down with the IO code.

I have tried everything I can think of- removed and re-seated all plugs and wires , propane on, propane off, but my hayward manual offers nothing more than "replace ignitor"

any ideas? I hate to throw money at a new circuit board....

Thanks

The resistance on an ignitor for Hayward should be between 10.9 - 19.7 Ohms.

I would have to say that you have an issue with the ICB. When you measure the 120V, does it drop put at any point in time?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.