Algae ring above water line

Gig103

Jun 2, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Hey all,

I've been following the advice here for years now, but for two summers now I've been fighting an issue where I get an algae ring above the water line. The pool chemistry checks out otherwise (clear, passes OLCT, no CC. High CYA though, 55 at last measure but that was at the start of the summer).

About a month ago I intentionally overfilled the pool and SLAMed it, and the ring disappeared. After that the water evaporated down and returned to its regular level, and now the ring has come back and in a few spots it was pretty heavy and dark. I went out and soaked & scrubbed with a microfiber + 12% bleach, but the ring isn't 100% gone. The water itself is still passing the three criteria, although I admit that sometimes I miss the target FC for per the chart.

I know a SLAM will get rid of it again, but any thoughts on preventative maintenance since it isn't in contact with the treated water?

When you exposed it to your pool water with FC at SLAM level, I wonder if you left it there long enough? Just "disappeared" might not have been all of it dead...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.