First time closer

May 14, 2018
Salem MA
Hi all,

Thank you for everything. This was my first trouble free year and it was a huge success!!

I have a few questions and I apologize if they have been covered. Just so much to comb through. I am closing myself for the first time.... tired of the 450+ closing cost!!

1) I have read in a lot of places to not put the drain plugs back on the filter and pump... my fear of doing this is we have a lot of mice and I don’t want them living in there this winter. Can I put them on lose?

2) if I blow the lines... should I still add antifreeze to them?

3) add anti freeze to the skimmers once my gizmos are in right?

4) bring to slam level before closing her up right?

5) I have an elephant cover, the pool company always bright water to just below returns, is this ok? Should I keep an eye on water level through the winter?

TIA

No mice will get into filter or pump, the filter has a grid on it and the pump drains are 1/4”. Once you are sure they are empty you can replace, just leave on loose. I’ve never added antifreeze to lines, but I use a cyclone. If you’re using just a shop vac, make sure they are clear. Antifreeze in skimmer after gizmo, cut up an old noodle n stuff it in there too, it helps by crushing first when ice forms. Slam 2-3 days before closing. Safety covers use the resulting ice that forms as support, the water level should rise to 12” below the cover with rain, if not add water. Damage to the springs and D rings results when water level is too low, or snow load arrives before freeze up.

One more question...

I got through the skimmers and main drain today. (My pump out is taking forever and just got below returns tonight). I used my shop vac for the skimmers, put some anti freeze in and the gizmos. For the main drain I used 25lbs of air from compressor and created my air lock pretty easily.

My question is the returns. I have 3 returns each valved separately. How should I go about blowing those out effectively? From the return it self back into the filter housing? I also have a heater in line. I am guessing if I put my shop vac from the motor side it would be enough to travel thought my filter, heater, and then out the return? Or am I wrong it and should be a-ok?

Hook up shop vac so it can be left alone, or get a helper. Put two plugs in and alternate plugging successive ones until they are clear.

blow after the filter, just remove its drain to remove the water from it.

if you think it out, it’s a very simple process.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.