45 degree PVC joint leaking under concrete pool deck

aquaman

May 28, 2008
Pleasanton, CA
Hi,

The water supply to my pool travels under concrete and there was a 45 degree PVC joint that started leaking under the concrete.

The 45 apparently allowed the run to go under a wall two feet away (wall is part of a raised bed where the water supply comes up and shoots into the pool). It was fixed by joining new pipe to the run with a straight connector and then bowing the pipe under the wall to connect in the bed.
Now can't find Pami pebbles to match the previous pour and we'll have to accept a bit of mismatch on this walkway (one section of slab) for 2K total cost of repair.

I know PVC pipes have to have joints for long runs. But doesn't it become problematic to create extra joints under concrete?

Should the contractor have taken the run under the wall by digging the run deeper to bend under the wall?

Or is what I describe typical and usual, and 12 yrs after install, "Hey things leak, that's the breaks"

Bob

You might be able to do something decorative with the patch to make it less obvious. I've seen new concrete poured a little shy of the old surface and then quarry tile was laid on top to make a design. You could also have concred stained or stamped to make a design as well.

You might be able to do something decorative with the patch to make it less obvious. I've seen new concrete poured a little shy of the old surface and then quarry tile was laid on top to make a design. You could also have concred stained or stamped to make a design as well.

John,

I think that is a great idea.. I'm going to file it away just in case I ever need to cut through my deck...

Thanks,

Jim R.

I was surprised by an added joint that takes two welds instead of using the one weld of a flanged PVC pipe end. Then put the angled connector in dirt you can access.

The walkway is bordered by dirt. Is it not common to run PVC in dirt whenever possible? Too vulnerable to damage? Certainly more serviceable.

Thanks for the replies.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.