Pool light safety transformer necessary?

Apr 26, 2018
Orlando
I have a pool built in 1954 and the electric box looks to be from the 80s. How can I tell if there is a transformer going to my single pool light? If there is no transformer, is this a concern?

Also, when it comes to replacing pool lights or installing a transformer, would you recommend an electrician, or is this something a pool company would more experience with?

Thanks

Kevin,

Your pool would only have a transformer if it is using a low voltage bulb.. I doubt these bulbs were even made in the 80's..

As long as the pool light is connected to a GFCI source, then you are perfectly safe.

Thanks,

Jim R.

- - - Updated - - -

If you are just replacing the bulb, that is something you can do yourself, or any pool maintenance company can also do it.

Jim R.

If you have a low-voltage (12V) light, then there would be a transformer somewhere. If it's a 120V light, then there would be no transformer, and not a problem. Pool lights should be connected electrically to a bonding grid, that is connected to all your other pool components. But I'm not sure that was being done back in 1954! It's possible some of your newer stuff is bonded. Do you see a thick, bare copper wire anywhere around your equipment pad?

Either way, replacing a pool light can be anywhere from DIY easy to really tough. I'd want an electrician that is experienced with pools to do the work, one that could verify if the light is properly wired. Some pool maintenance companies have a guy that they use that is qualified for that type of work, and some just have a guy that kinda knows what to do, but is not a licensed electrician. It's tough for a consumer to qualify these guys, so ask: licensed electrician? qualified to work on pools? capable of testing and reviewing current electrical system? know about bonding and how to test it, etc. You're still at the mercy of their answers, to some extent, but sometimes how they answer is the clue to their competence. If they look at you funny or are put off by you asking about their qualifications, then that's because they might not have them! A guy that knows what he's doing should be fine about proving it. And you can check on their license status with your states licensing agency/board.

As with all contractors: check on the license, their bond (if your state requires that), their liability insurance and their references. Many of us skip some or all of those steps, and many of us regret it. Hopefully I'll use my own advice next time! ;)

The reason I would respectfully disagree with Jim about DIY or "any pool maintenance company can also do it" is because of another thread just started here. He had is light swapped out and the guy that did it either broke his bond wire or didn't notice it wasn't connected properly. Actually, we don't even know yet what the loose wire is, so it could be anything, safe or otherwise! If your original light and/or pool were only a few years old, even a few decades old, and it was installed correctly, then a quick swap could be no problem. But with such an old pool, and evidence that other work was done "back in the 80s" I'd be cautious about how the new light was installed, and whether the current wiring is up to the job. We're talkin' 40 to 60 year old underground/outdoor wiring. A check up on how it's doing, by someone that knows how to check, would be a good idea... especially when it comes to water and electricity.

Here's that other thread:

Rust from pool light ground wire

Kevin,

Your pool would only have a transformer if it is using a low voltage bulb.. I doubt these bulbs were even made in the 80's..

As long as the pool light is connected to a GFCI source, then you are perfectly safe.

Thanks,

Jim R.

- - - Updated - - -

If you are just replacing the bulb, that is something you can do yourself, or any pool maintenance company can also do it.

Jim R.

That’s 30 something years old & definitely long overdo for a Safety Inspection by a qualified individual.

Over the next week or so, I’m planning a 120 to 12v conversation with an led lamp & a junction box mounted transformer..

Thanks for the responses, guys. It sounds like I should definitely have a licensed electrician come and check this out. Just a bit worried because my trusted electrician charges $1400 to install a new light!!! Might have to go without the light for now :(

Thanks for the responses, guys. It sounds like I should definitely have a licensed electrician come and check this out. Just a bit worried because my trusted electrician charges $1400 to install a new light!!! Might have to go without the light for now :(

With some set ups - he is more than earning the 1400.
Lights are either easy or plain brutal!

*your key word is “trusted”

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.