Natural/eco pool pics!

Given that it's been a day with zero replies you probably realize that you are looking on the wrong forum for such photos. As everything on TFP revolves around proper sanitation and a natural pool does not provide that, there really is no overlap. The few who arrive to offer their "expertise" on pool care alternatives tend to not stick around long when their pseudoscience gets called out and corrected every time they post.

I went back and forth about adding a comment to your other thread about your newly found excitement about an eco pool. I didn't want to rain on your parade, and I didn't want to fire up a debate about it in a forum that is not into supporting such a thing (for good reason). But if you're looking for another 2¢, I'll give it a go.

Like ozone and uv systems, and pretty much every other non-chlorine solution, including eco, (except maybe bromine?) the claims about their ability to provide healthy swimming water with little or no chlorine are absolutely true, if you run and maintain them perfectly, and you can manage to keep all unwanted things out of the water, like, oh, say, humans!!

These systems can, and I'm sure do, provide safe water, but only for an unknown amount of time. Could be weeks, days, hours or minutes! That's what you're risking. All it takes is a person with, uh, lets just say less than ideal hygiene, or one with some sort of infection, or a bird flying overhead, or a raccoon pooping on your step, or any of hundreds of other ways your pool water can be exposed to harmful agents, and your beautiful, healthy water will be compromised for hours or days while these non-chlorine systems work to rid the water of potentially dangerous pathogens.

Without the residual protection that chlorine provides, working to kill such nasties within minutes, 24/7, you're risking the health of anyone that gets in your pool. It's not a good idea, at all, in terms of a swimming pool. If you just want to look at it, and enjoy it, and put some lily pads in it and frogs and fish, then eco away! Not fit for people, though, IMO...

I actually doubt a "natural" pool would work in such a hot climate?? I say that with absolutely no real knowledge admittedly.

The idea of getting into a pool with fish, plants and all sorts of slimy things just sounds dreadful to me.

Maddie :flower:

I've been assuming, based on very limited research about them, that an eco pool is built like an aquarium, divided into two discrete sections with water constantly flowing between the two. (Which means pumping 24/365.) One for critters, the other for elements that encourage and house bacteria that feeds on the waste generated in the critter half (I think its bacteria in the filter?). But the filtering and sanitization mostly occur in the non-critter half, which means anything nasty that happens upon the water in the critter half has to find its way to the filter pool (which could take days). So then it comes down to odds, is that pathogen going to find it's way into the filter first or your mouth first. I'd be happy if it meant only swimming with fish and plants, that part actually sounds kinda cool (which I suspect is primarily why these pools even exist). It's the "slimy things" I couldn't get in with!!

Oh, and I think you can forget about auto cleaners and maybe even skimmers. All that has to be done manually. So you chop down all the trees around your "eco" pool! (OK, I made up that last part!!)

Vegas... right... The bio filter half would likely need to be maintained within some optimum temperature range. Just one of the many things you'd have to manage (and pay for) that a chlorine pool doesn't require.

I appreciate all of your zest!

I think the idea is cool. You don’t have to. Just want to see photos. One might get ideas. One might not. Doesn’t mean I am installing one...

As for the smart alec Vegas remark, I am looking to install a pool for my house in North Carolina. Yes it is still a warm climate. Actually we ski more in NV than in NC.

How about if you have seen a nice eco-pool, post a photo? If not, move along. Or read the title?

But, then the thread would be empty ... :poke:

I think you will have better luck Googling for pictures.

- - - Updated - - -

This is like going to a diesel truck forum and asking for pictures of people's Prius :mrgreen:

If you want to see pictures of natural pools here you go natural pools - Google Search

Our focus at TFP is teaching pool owners a simple method of chlorine based pool care. We do not advocate alternative methods of pool care so you will not find much information on our site other than what you have already seen. You would not join a Philadelphia Eagles fan site and ask them to post about their favorite Patriots plays. There are other pool forums that are not focused on teaching that would probably be happy to accommodate your request.

Like I said, natural pool people don't stick around long. They expect to be treated with respect, and we absolutely do that. It's one of the key rules of the forum! Problem is that they feel this also means their ideas should be treated with respect as well. The "only give me positive feedback" type of mindset.

Sorry, we don't offer that here. We don't support unsanitary pools. If it doesn't have an EPA approved sanitizer in it (chlorine, bromine, biguanide, and specific mineral systems for spas only) then we won't deal with it and we will discourage anybody from trying it. If you feel that only people who support and agree with your "this is cool!" opinion should comment in this thread then you are not in the right place.

If you want a simple, safe, effective, and easy to use pool care system then TFP is where you should be.
If you want a complicated plant and fish based system that is not going to provide even a fraction of the sanitation that chlorine will and a group of people encouraging you to do so, I'm sure there are plenty of places on the internet to find that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OP - here is a link to my friends website.

I’m not into the bio pool thing & don’t let my young children swim in them.

I see a lot of regulatory & code contentions in the near future.. but that’s another story.

Enjoy the eye candy

poolguy.

those look pretty sweet. so natural looking and cool.

i never knew somethign like this existed. i just figured we were talkign about ponds. lol

my uncle has a pond that is actually the water source for the farm that he stocks with fish and also has made a deep end for the fish for the winter and lined the bottom of the whole 1 plus acre pond with bluestone in the shallow end for swimming in. so i thought we were talking about somethign like that. we have swam in it. he always does goes he goes in to clean the weeds and such cause he doens't want to put any chemicals in it since it is a natural spring fed and water source. my kids and myself are the only ones who fish it. i thought that's the kida pool we were talkign about. lol

but pretty cool!

but also ya deff not the site for this kinda pool. this is one of those things google is ur firned and there is prob thousands of pics out there.

I have enjoyed watching a television show on Animal Planet called "Pool Masters" where they specialize in "natural pools." I am not sure it is still on the air or if you can stream episodes, but he made some truly amazing ones. I remember one that he made for a restaurant owner so that they could swim in one part and then grow edible plants in another! I can't find anywhere to watch all of the episodes free, but maybe set your dvr to record some reruns

The Pool Master | Watch Full Episodes More! - Animal Planet

**The "Ultimate Pools" episodes are not all natural pools if you end up looking at the website.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.