LifeTime Supporter
Sep 15, 2013
Fayetteville, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hoping someone can direct me to an easy answer - considering a generator to run our pool pump with the hurricane headed our way.

What’s the minimum HP or wattage or “whatever” is need to look for?
Any chance such a thing exists that’s ran on solar power?

If pump info is in my sig, that’s reliable. If not, I’m thinking it’s a 3 HP? (does that sound right?)

Admit I have not searched the forum myself - a bit tied up with other preparations.

i’m sure something in the 8k range would do it. BUT ! you must have a transfer switch to make sure it doest backfeed back up the line. you could be responsible for electrocuting a lineman.
the other thing, mine (10k) will only run for a few hours under load before the gas tank is empty

If your primary concern is keeping the water circulating you might want to just get a small submersible pump and run a hose from it on one end of the pool to the other. This will keep water moving and chlorine dispersed. It can also be used to assist removing excess water if needed. In a situation like a hurricane keeping the pool clear is very much a secondary concern and really I wouldn't put a bunch of time in to keeping the pump running and especially wouldn't burn much gas doing it. Even just brushing once or twice a day will move water plenty to keep it clear for days as long as you keep up on the chemistry. Not accounting for runoff or other debris clouding it up, of course.

If you don't already have a generator purchased though you might be a bit unhappy with the selection you are going to find in your area right now...

A 3hp motor at 240 volts will draw about 17 amps, per the NEC. Watt's law states voltage times current equals power consumed. So 17A x 240V = 4080W. A 4000 watt rated generator should suffice. You can get more accurate if you use the actual numbers from the motor nameplate though. But this is a ballpark figure.

i’m sure something in the 8k range would do it. BUT ! you must have a transfer switch to make sure it doest backfeed back up the line. you could be responsible for electrocuting a lineman.
the other thing, mine (10k) will only run for a few hours under load before the gas tank is empty
What I recommend is if you use the generator to backfeed a circuit, turn the main breaker in your house off. Keeps the system closed to only your house and keeps everyone else safe.

What I recommend is if you use the generator to backfeed a circuit, turn the main breaker in your house off. Keeps the system closed to only your house and keeps everyone else safe.

Given that this is illegal in many areas, perhaps you should reconsider your recommendation. The lack of a lockout safety means one wrong switch accidentally flipped can kill someone working on the lines. That is not considered safe by any definition.

If you SLAM the pool, then shut it down for a week or so, the probability of it going so green that you can not clear up is very slim. I would rather use the gas in my generator for the house, etc. No one should be back feeding into their panel. I personally installed an Interlock Kit and the electrician installed a wire that back feeds to a junction box outside. I would have to shut off the main breaker to use the # 2 and # 4 circuit (up to code and perfectly legal).

i’m sure something in the 8k range would do it. BUT ! you must have a transfer switch to make sure it doest backfeed back up the line. you could be responsible for electrocuting a lineman. the other thing, mine (10k) will only run for a few hours under load before the gas tank is empty

My generator is around 6,500 and I have been itching for the power to go out at least 2 full days (48 hours) so I can track how much gas the generator will use. The manual states under 50% load, it will last quite a long time, not just a few hours. I could run the whole house in the winter with about 4,000 watts, including heat. The summer, well a different story. During super storm Sandy (almost 10 full days), I had nothing but a few wires and a lamp, which basically accomplished nothing. Now, I am always prepared with plenty of gas. I start my generator monthly for 5-10 minutes to maintain it.

Question: Do you know exactly how many hours, how many gallons and what exactly you were using the generator for?

- - - Updated - - -

You're right, I retract that recommendation. Unless you're an electrical engineer, best not to even chance it

Even if you are an electrical engineer, illegal is illegal. Either a transfer switch or Interlock kit is needed.

Given that this is illegal in many areas, perhaps you should reconsider your recommendation. The lack of a lockout safety means one wrong switch accidentally flipped can kill someone working on the lines. That is not considered safe by any definition.
In defense of myself and my job, see NEC 702.5 exception:

Temporary connection of a portable generator without transfer equipment shall be permitted where conditions of maintenance and supervision ensure that only qualified persons service the installation and where the normal supply is physically isolated by a lockable disconnecting means or by the disconnection of the normal supply conductors.

Again, I retract that recommendation, as the conditions can't be met by the average homeowner. But I knew there was something that allowed it in the Code. Sorry for the confusion.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In defense of myself and my job, see NEC 702.5 exception:

Temporary connection of a portable generator without transfer equipment shall be permitted where conditions of maintenance and supervision ensure that only qualified persons service the installation and where the normal supply is physically isolated by a lockable disconnecting means or by the disconnection of the normal supply conductors.

Again, I retract that recommendation, as the conditions can't be met by the average homeowner. But I knew there was something that allowed it in the Code. Sorry for the confusion.

That’s is an interesting read thank you.
I think most backfeed through the laundry dryer.

Generally “qualified” person is code speak for licensed by jurisdiction.

We came through Florence without problem. Only issue was our smoke detector suddenly started chirping - battery going dead.
Never even lost power!

Having said that, the Cape Fear River is expected to crest today. Issues anticipated within one mile. We are 2 miles and also on high ground.

I was not able to find a generator, but did manage a 5k watt inverter ($375 plus cables at Harbor Freight) we hooked up to a vehicle. Plan was to run the fridge all day, A/C window unit in bedroom at night, and pool pump every morning for two hours.

For the record, pictured are my pre-and post- hurricane water results. We don’t have a lot of trees, so the leaf collection in the bottom was (under the circumstances) minimal.
92F742A4-96B7-434A-9319-50C273556F5E.jpg

One thing I wasn’t expecting is how incredibly cold the water got!!
Water was almost too warm pre- hurricane. Post-hurricane was downright frigid!

What is “transfer equipment”?

I realize some have a whole-house backup generator, but I can’t see us going to such an expense. Most in our area would power on a generator and run a couple extension cords from it into the house, dependent upon what it could handle. Are you stating doing such could harm a lineman when they go to turn power back on?

What is “transfer equipment”?

I realize some have a whole-house backup generator, but I can’t see us going to such an expense. Most in our area would power on a generator and run a couple extension cords from it into the house, dependent upon what it could handle. Are you stating doing such could harm a lineman when they go to turn power back on?
It all depends on what the folks do with the cords when they get in the house. If you unplug the refrigerator and plug it into a cord, that is fine.

But, if once inside the house you rig something up to plug that cord into a receptacle to "back feed" the whole house system, then yes, you can kill a lineman working down the street.

The best way I have found is to mount a Generator Power Inlet Box on the side of the house where you will use the generator (stay away from windows that will be open during use due to carbon monoxide poisoning). That inlet box would be wired into the house to either a Generator Interlock Kit or a full blown Transfer Switch

If I were you I would find a local electrician to consult with and possibly do the installation. Please don't take this the wrong way, but from your questions you currently don't have the knowledge to do the work safely. Plus, in many jurisdictions this work should be completed by a licensed electrician.

Living in the mountains, power loss can happen on a clear blue day with no storms. I have a Generac 15000E Generator with a whole house transfer switch. Expensive, but less expensive than an automatic whole house system (which generally requires a natural gas feed which I don't have). I have an LP gas tank, but it would only provide about 1.5 days generator use due to it's small size. I figured it would be better for me to go get gas than to count on the LP Gas company making a delivery every couple of days in a bad storm.

Living in the mountains, power loss can happen on a clear blue day with no storms. I have a Generac 15000E Generator with a whole house transfer switch

Tim:

Nice generator. How much gas do you store? Does your transfer switch cover all the circuits/breakers?

Doesn't that require a cord with male plugs at each end? I think that's an NEC code issue. More importantly, what happens if someone unplugs the dryer end while the generator is running? That male plug is live and it would be mighty easy to accidentally touch those live prongs...

My generator and inlet box are in the back yard. if power goes out, I would lock all the gates and keep all small children away from the outdoors. You will have to take safety precautions.

I think the Interlock Kit is probably the easiest and least expensive and safest way to go for most homeowners. I chose this instead of the transfer switch, and I believe between kit, inlet box ($100), 50 foot cord ($75), and electrician, everything ran under $425. Depends all on how much the electrician wants to charge.

Thats exactly what i do..use a sump pmp
If your primary concern is keeping the water circulating you might want to just get a small submersible pump and run a hose from it on one end of the pool to the other. This will keep water moving and chlorine dispersed. It can also be used to assist removing excess water if needed. In a situation like a hurricane keeping the pool clear is very much a secondary concern and really I wouldn't put a bunch of time in to keeping the pump running and especially wouldn't burn much gas doing it. Even just brushing once or twice a day will move water plenty to keep it clear for days as long as you keep up on the chemistry. Not accounting for runoff or other debris clouding it up, of course.

If you don't already have a generator purchased though you might be a bit unhappy with the selection you are going to find in your area right now...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.