Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do you cover your pool equipment?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do you cover your pool equipment?

This will be my first winter with an in-ground pool. Do any of you cover your equipment (filter, pump, etc.)?
    27' round/4 feet deep above ground pool
    ProClean by Waterway cartridge pool filter (125 square foot)
    Flowrate- 125 gpm

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do you cover your pool equipment?

Hi newpull,

It would be very helpful to know where you are located......city & state?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly
    It would be very helpful to know where you are located......city & state?
    Sorry - southeastern PA.
    27' round/4 feet deep above ground pool
    ProClean by Waterway cartridge pool filter (125 square foot)
    Flowrate- 125 gpm

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by newpull
    This will be my first winter with an in-ground pool. Do any of you cover your equipment (filter, pump, etc.)?
    Hi Newpull,

From the posts I've read, it seems that a good number of members from the Mid-Atlantic (and elsewhere) cover their pool equipment for the winter using everything from plastic sheets to custom enclosures made of wood, metal and abs plastic. Many here favor removing the filter, the pump or both into a protected area... garage, shed, etc.

There are a few folks on the forum from temperate winter regions that use a minimalist approach to winter closing; they may have their own secrets as to how they protect pool equipment.

Though I don't need to close my pool (No. Calif) and nothing is covered for the winter, I've become aware that there is an environmental cost to equipment that is left open to the sun, rain, wind and snow all year long. After only two years, I see evidence of the weather at my pad: equipment labels fading, paint peeling, bolts rusting etc.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

5. Back To Top    #5

We live near Allentown, PA.

We don't cover the pool itself but we do cover the filter and pump with a tarpaulin to keep snow, ice and debris off it. We disconnect all of the plumbing and stuff the openings with bubble wrap to keep the mice out. We drain the filter and store its top, the drain plug, and any O-rings from any of the equipment inside the house.
    We keep the wedding cake steps on the deck, tied to the railing, but don't cover it.
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

6. Back To Top    #6

If you decide to cover it, make sure to keep it well ventilated. A tight enclosure can allow condensation to build up inside which can cause more harm to the equipment (specifically the motor) than the cover prevents.