Fairly new pool owner, New member, and CYA Questions!

Aug 17, 2018
Dallas, TX
Hello Everyone,

Moved in to our hose 1.5 years ago and have had a company take care of our pool. I am now being told our CYA levels are in the 200s and we have to drain our pool. Is that something that is preventable? Wondering if I should consider a new company OR do this myself. I came across the page through an amazon review for a CYA eliminator product (1 STAR review - product not recommended). Is there any way you can level out the chemicals without draining the pool? Or is that the only way to (cost effectively) fix this CYA issue.

Side note - pool company told me about high CYA levels before and they came out and retested it and they were significantly lower cause the kit they were using was not working.

I have attached the last 3 test readings the pool tech sent over.

TIA

Attachments

• offline-3-16238-1534437934275.jpg
    offline-3-16238-1534437934275.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 56
Hiya JJ- welcome to TFP :handshake:

You're in CYA trouble because every time your pool service tech services your pool he's adding more CYA to the mix. Those chlorine pucks and granular products he's using contain CYA.

See, chlorine is actually a *gas* and the only way to make it user friendly is to combine it with something. In this case its CYA. Or in jugs with water which we call "household bleach"... or sometimes with calcium which is called CalHypo.

The only way to lower CYA is to drain and refill with fresh water. Sad but true. The hoped for miracle cure panned out and isn't worth a nickle. Since your Calcium (CH) appears high also (perhaps from CalHypo use?) draining some water isn't a bad idea at all. Then just don't let those products be used on the pool again.

You can use liquid chlorine or plain old fashioned unscented, unthickened, non-cloramax household bleach. Or the service tech may have access to use Chlorine Gas. Ask if you're going to keep using them.

You need to get your own trusted test kit or you'll be chasing your tail. Or the serviceman's tail?? This way you'll know exactly what is in your water and what isn't.
This is a comparison of the two kits we trust- Pool School - Test Kits Compared I prefer the TF-100.

Have you started reading Pool School up at the top of the page? Start here-->ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Maddie :flower:

Thank you so much Maddie.

So, we live in Texas and if the water evaporates out of our pool all the time (like 3 inches a week) would that fresh water we add in all the time be enough to counter these CYA levels if we change the tabs they use now? Or is that not enough to change the CYA levels at this time? Just thinking that if we are adding water in all the time if it is enough, and this way we do not have to add all that water in at once (bills bills bills) :)

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

The CYA does not evaporate, just the water. Just like salt, calcium, etc. They are solids, and thus do not evaporate.

It is not possible to follow TFPC and rely on a 'pool guy' to manage your chemistry. You can use them to clean the pool. Add acid if they have the proper test kit, but beyond that, TFPC is a pool owner led pool care method.

Read Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool

You need a proper test kit to follow TFPC. Consider ordering a TF-100 Test Kit â„¢ or Taylor K2006C.

Take care.

- - - Updated - - -

You can safely swim in a pool as long as the FC is above the minimum and at or below SLAM level based on your CYA. You must also be able to see the bottom in the deep end of the pool.

I'm with Marty, you need your own test kit even if you're going to continue to use a pool service. How else can you monitor your pool's health otherwise? You shouldn't just take their word for it.

It is safe to swim in as long as your pool is clear, and your contaminates (CCs) are not over 0.5ppm, and your FC level is appropriate based on this chart--> [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Can you show us a picture of your pool equipment? So we can see what your set up is for draining? Or just use a rented sump pump to pump out the pool ...where will you put the water though? Is there a place planned out for that?

Your DE is in the filter, not the water. Draining the pool shouldn't affect that.