Worried about spots on liner

Aug 16, 2018
Madrid, NY
Hi all, I'm new to this site and have had a heck of a time managing my pool over the last few years so I'm hoping someone can help as a last resort before I give up on it. I've had umpteen water quality issues and have added so much stuff to my pool (shock, muriatic acid, baking soda, algaecide, flocculant, etc.) - all to still have a green pool... Regardless, I have noticed white spots on the edge of my vinyl liner. At the top where the water line is. All around the pool - white dots and some small white lines almost like stretch marks. Could this be from all the chemicals I have been adding? Or has the liner stretched somehow and is loosing strength? The texture does feel a little rougher in those areas too. I just hate to commit to cleaning up the pool just to have my liner rip and have to start over anyways.

Hi Jenna,

Welcome to TFP! I'm on my third season as a pool owner and this site has been a cornucopia of info. The first thing you'll need to do to get some help is post a set of test results including: free chlorine (FC), combined chlorine (CC), PH, total alkalinity (TA), cyanuric acid (CYA), and calcium hardness (CH). The recommended test kit around here is the TF 100 (more on test kits here). I'm not familiar with the HTH 6-Way, but post whatever results you have.

I would also look over Pool School (Pool School - Pool School). One of the keys to clear, algae-free water is the relationship between your free chlorine (FC) and your cyanuric acid (CYA). Too much CYA can prevent your FC from working.

Also, include photos of the white spots, if possible, or at least include a description of what they feel like. Are they raised bumps that feel stuck to the liner or do they feel like areas where the liner has thinned?

~Teany

I wouldn't be surprised if small splashes of all those chemicals could have caused those spots, assuming it isn't rough scale build up from high calcium?

We don't recommend ANY pool store chemical. We love pool owners to use plain household bleach (the plainest of them, no thickeners, no scents, no cloramax, nothing) and we get our muriatic acid at the hardware store.

Until you have a respected reliable test kit and can give us accurate test results (no pool store results please!) we can't tell you what to do next.
Go to TFtestkits.net and get yourself a kit. I like the TF-100.

Get us a pic, some test results and let us help you-

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.