Need help deciding pool size

Dapdo

Bronze Supporter
Jul 15, 2018
Vineland, NJ
So many decisions... have yet to sign the contract. Planning to do a Hamptons style rectangular pool without spa. Originally was going to do it on one side of the yard but due to a variety of reasons decided to flip sides. Original estimate was for a 14x38. Now thinking I should bite the bullet and just go 20x40. Water depth to be 4' to 8' going to be gunite with a sun deck

If your budget and yard space support the larger pool I’d go for it. You aren’t going to wish for a smaller pool but you might wish for a larger if you go small.

14' seems a tad narrow for 38' length unless you are restricted by your yard. If you can swing 20'x40', maybe go for it. That being said, you are up north, and smaller pools are easier to heat, although the 8' depth is a lot of water.

Go for the 20x40...nice even numbers that divide into each other :) Focus on the total look not just the pool...when it’s all done you will have your very own oasis!

If u plan on heating the pool ur gonna want to do solar for during the season and a big heater for that size. Most northern pools don't break 80ish without some type of heat. Keep #s kinda even like 18x36 etc unless u want lap style pool then 14x38 is fine. I have a 14x30 not finished but swimming and it's plenty for my 2 boys 2 and 5

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
HUGE! Lol, Build it for your family and not the unpredictable future owner and build it with the size and features you want. The nice thing about a Hamptons style is if you decide you need more decking you can always add pavers. Much easier than ripping out concrete.

To see if you will be happy with the size you have chosen, use some flour to mark the outline of the pool in the location you want. Then you can explore the space and see if you want to change anything.

Dapdo, we did something similar when we were trying to determine the size of our new AGP. We used some orange spray paint and painted an area on the grass that would be covered by an 18 foot round pool and decided that it would definitely NOT be large enough. We decided to go with a 24 ft round instead.

If u plan on heating the pool ur gonna want to do solar for during the season and a big heater for that size. Most northern pools don't break 80ish without some type of heat. Keep #s kinda even like 18x36 etc unless u want lap style pool then 14x38 is fine. I have a 14x30 not finished but swimming and it's plenty for my 2 boys 2 and 5

Not doing a heater. Our development used to be a farm ergo no mature trees. Our backyard COOKS in July and August. My parents have a similar set up and their pool is often 85 degrees without heater.

U might be surprised if u don't hit those temps and up north we have a short season too. I stay in low 80s w solar cover 85 tops lots of sun here. We like it 90 and water is cold in may June and September. Solar is cheap investment it work a well but heater up north is a must to make pool worth it. My opinion. Wasn't a believer til I built this one I learn the hard way

If you don’t do 20 x 40, I suggest at least 18x36. We have 18x36 and it meets the needs and it’s great, but we wish we’d gone for 20X40.

We opted for 16'x36', and our goal is that same Hampton style posted above. Started as 16'x32' but I really wanted full width steps and a full width bench in the deep end, so I pushed it out a bit. I've got right at 30' of "swim" area, and about 6' of steps and bench area.

Ours is 18x38. I’d either do that or 20x 40. 16 is kinda narrow if you have benches on one or both sides in the middle.

I also highly recommend an autocover since you are not getting a spa and have a rectangle. It will help greatly with heat retention (without the pain of a solar cover) and will keep it clean when you mow and trim and all other times.

If putting in a diving board I’d recommend 29x40 and 4-9’ deep. Otherwise 8 is good.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.