Should I seal top of liner with caulk? Dirt falling in the pool.

sorenk

Aug 11, 2018
amherst,ma
Hello-

There is a lot of dirt on the bottom of my pool every week. Its definitely coming from under the coping. There is a mole/gopher highway system that I can't stop.

Im sure there's a better way to have the bluestone coping installed then what I have (stone on plywood attached with glue). Perhaps I will have the time this fall to improve this.

Barring that, should I run a bead of sealant under the coping around the pool? I was thinking of using polyurethane caulk (clear). Does anyone have any recommendations?

(the bottom photo shows dirt on the pool bottom near the wall)

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5017.jpg
    IMG_5017.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_5026.jpg
    IMG_5026.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_5012.jpg
    IMG_5012.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 64
I'd use a foam backer rod and non-sagging polyurethane sealant to caulk the joint with.

You really need to figure out some way to stop the varmints from tunneling under there. I'm not sure what's available to you, but you could check with your local county extension agency and see what they recommend.

oh man I feel your pain.

Usually late june and all of july there is a section near the deep end where ants burrow and dirt drops in.

Highly annoying to say the least to take the cover off and have a perfectly clean floor except that area.

It's only in that section that it happens, all the other areas above the track look good.

I'm going to stuff some backer rod in there.

Hey all-

I went and got some foam backing rod. Stuff is great. I dont anticipate any more dirt. I also purchased some clear silicone caulk that im thinking ill put over the backing rod. I just want to make sure I can peel it off easily in one piece. I guess there's no better time to test my caulking skills.

Boris....the stuff is great. I used 1/2".

Thank you TFP community for all your help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.