What unexpected costs put you over budget?

kwhite

Mar 22, 2018
Youngsville, NC
Well, I thought we were one of lucky ones that actually managed to complete our pool build within budget. That was until a week of heavy rain last week dumped an incredible amount of water into our neighbors yard. [emoji15] Just quoted $5,800 today for French drains and river rock to remedy the situation. [emoji33]

That sucks! but your post could be useful to someone else in the future. When we had our pool built it was fall so I did not bother doing landscaping till spring but I did put in the drains right away. I had no less than 3 people ask me why I put so many around the pool, I guess they were thinking it does not rain in CA any more, then this happened.IMG_1160.JPG the black circles are the 2 pipes I cut to the water level because the weep holes were not draining the water fast enough at the time.

Wow!! That’s a lot of water! That’s pretty much what my neighbors driveway looked like from all the water running off our deck away from our pool into his yard. I guess $5,800 is a small price to pay to keep your neighbors from hating you.

I think this is a really good post! Surprises like this are what everyone wants to avoid when building a pool. Hopefully others will chime in and help those that are looking to build.

Oh where to start! Actually our pool build itself didn’t really go over. We were about 2.5K over for the dig. This was to be expected and honestly we were really impressed that it only went over that much. We had tight access of just over 1m so tiny machines. The hammer attachment was used for the entire 5 days of the dig. We had a 3.5K credit though for a nib wall that wasn’t needed. We did add a slide but obviously that was our choice. So all in all we came out under budget as per the contract.

BUT our additional costs have been all the extras. They add up quickly. We hired a little digger twice to remove trees and to rebuild our water tank slab that was destroyed in the build. Replacing damaged downpipes. Plumbing and drainage for overflow. New outdoor tap. Heat pump, cover, reel and boost pump. Turf. Resurfacing the concrete around the house that was destroyed. Painting the back and side of the house that had rubble piled against it during the dig and plumbing. I would estimate all the extras to be around the 15K mark.

If you can get a contract that says the pb is liable for damage then a lot of those costs can be avoided. Ours didn’t and it’s unheard of here as are fixed price digs.

Let’s see my over budget stuff.

My hole wss was all sand so they couldn’t get the walls to hold so we had to flash.

3000 grand. Mind u 700 in material. Other cost was getting them to come out. Lol

other than that nothing.

Drainage cost us 2k

Moving the septic tank cost 5k

And making my shed legal was 650.
That was the most annoying 1. We bought the house 3 years ago and they missed the shed was bigger then the survey said it was at closing.

I agreed to pay extra for some concrete expenses that were vague in the contract but we had a great relationship (PB and I) so we could talk things through. I could see where I benefited more than expected from the contract, so the payment made sense. I'm quite sure others would have fought tooth and nail.

Actually, the way they did our turned down concrete deck was fantastic. Essentially a poured concrete retaining wall surrounds the entire deck.

I also spent twice what I budgeted for deck furniture. An extra $1,500 - but well spent.

Does this count? I wish I had gone over budget!! I did the bulk of my spending before finding TFP. So I trusted my contractor way more than I should have. My biggest regret was not upgrading to a better automation controller. The one the PB recommended does not meet my needs, so now I'm stuck with it. Point being: do your own research about, well, everything, before you buy. Otherwise you could end up with more or less than you actually need, which, one way or another, is going to cost you more...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Does this count? I wish I had gone over budget!! I did the bulk of my spending before finding TFP. So I trusted my contractor way more than I should have. My biggest regret was not upgrading to a better automation controller. The one the PB recommended does not meet my needs, so now I'm stuck with it. Point being: do your own research about, well, everything, before you buy. Otherwise you could end up with more or less than you actually need, which, one way or another, is going to cost you more...

Me too! I so wish I had done a SWCG and a robot. When we were in the midst of our build a few thousand here or there was just par for the course, now it seems like a lot of money to spend!

My CYA mostly disappeared over the winter and I had to add 16 lbs at the beginning of the season. That cost $100 and put me way over budget this year -- I've spent nearly $200 on my pool so far. [emoji12]

Marrying a woman with very expensive taste....She always seems to like the "finer" things.... Just kidding, I think I have more expensive tase.

We went UNDER budget. We were going to go with another builder, at 30,000 more than we are spending now, and we are getting way more pool, better finished, and a pavilion. Our builder is VERY fair on pricing.Im sure we will be over budget on fixing the mess in the yard, and adding more trees for privacy

Me too! I so wish I had done a SWCG and a robot. When we were in the midst of our build a few thousand here or there was just par for the course, now it seems like a lot of money to spend!

A robot is absolutely worth the expense. We spent $1,000 on ours three years ago and I don't regret it in any way. Will gladly buy another when this one fails (no signs of slowing down -- knock wood) and a replacement is even cheaper now.

My build was on budget, but like lots of others, there were unforseen costs after it was over.
In my case, the entrance to my backyard was trough my front yard. The digging machine, dirt hauling trucks and concrete trucks Tore. It. Up. way worse then I could have even imagined. GIANT ruts all over the place and severe depressions due to the weight of the trucks full of dirt and concrete.

sprinkler system destroyed, ruts and depressions in excess of 2 feet deep etc. By the time it was said and done, it was another 9K that I had not budgeted for.

We went $2k over budget upgrading to Shellock pavers and our pool light. Landscaping was our bigger budget buster.

There is a gray area here in pool estimates where I think pool builders fall down. Many homes have the foundation slab put on fill dirt to raise the homes above base flood elevation, so the yards slope away from the home. We were told by all PB’s that we got estimates from, that we likely didn’t need stem walls. They really don’t want to tell you you’ll need to pay $5k for something that isn’t sexy like other pool options. Extra deep footers were their answer and compacting the soil.

After our pool was in and the final grading done, the slope was steep. The ground is sand here and erodes easily. Our neighbors have an older pool and the deck is falling away from the pool on the backside. We knew going in we would likely put in a retaining wall. The county inspector who did the final inspection told us we would be glad we put it in.

In the end, we put a wall behind the pool and on one side, with the corner being several courses of rock for interest. We decided to extend the side retaining wall and level our side yard where the pool equipment is, which added onto the cost.

So whether a retaining wall is a PB job or a landscaping one, it doesn’t really matter, as long as it gets done and you know you are paying for it upfront with the PB or on the backside with the landscaper. Landscaping came in at $12k, with 5k for the basic retaining wall that we saw not as an option, but as a need. We have fined tuned the landscaping with trips to the big box stores and we haven’t added that onto the total cost. We also replaced an old fence, which needed replaced several years ago but we kept on life support knowing a pool was going in. We didn’t add that in to the cost either since a fence is not required with a pool cage.

6FD6B668-BCB4-4804-A20F-65434F27F954.jpg

Ours went over budget because of an over zealous inspector. He kept failing our inspections on new items ever time he showed up. First, he wanted extra rebar in north facing wall of the pool, because we have road behind our backyard wall. That was $750.00. Next was the short 3 ft retaining wall below the yard where oir pool was being built. Inspector again felt it wasnt built strong enough to keep our pool stable. Throw another $3500.00 for 52 ft of wall. Last was our gates. He failed them twice, so another few hundred to get the iron guys to retrofit the new gates they made.

All in all I was okay with it, since the pb did eat most of the cost for the 12" raised bond beam, because he waited till after the hole was dug to get a transit in to measure the slope of my yard.

For the most part, we stayed on budget for the build. I attribute that to research on my part and a really great PB. French drains all around, final grading, robot cleaner, ample decking, winter safety cover, etc were all included in the price of the build. Early on, when the pool was outlined in the yard, we choose to widen and lengthen the deep end, which raised the total several $K, but that was on us. (Money very well spent it turns out).

Where we spent more than we were planning was after the pool was finished. The separate spa we decided on was more 'deluxe' than what I originally planned, and with the new pool and surroundings, the wife decided the old outdoor furniture just didn't cut it any longer. I found that even DIY landscaping adds up quickly, and geeze, surrounded by the new stuff, the old gas grill sure was looking tired. Just the other day the wife proclaimed "you know, if we hang a TV right here, you could watch football from the patio or the hot tub."

So it goes...

Our last minute add-on was a heat pump -- that was a big one, an extra $4500. But we are SO glad we did, otherwise our pool would have already been done for the season. As it stands, we will be swimming into October. Spending so much money on building a pool, it's well worth the extra to have a ~6 months season instead of a 3 month season.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.