Hi Y’all!

Aug 14, 2018
Montgomery/Tx
New pool from Montgomery, Tx.
Just completed build. Turned over to us.
Confused as to why builders don’t get the water corrected before turnover? Ours threw in a bunch of chlorine and shock and said, “Here!” days before even pool school. It’s been trial by fire, it feels like.
Thanks for a great place with lots of advice!

Confused as to why builders don’t get the water corrected before turnover? Ours threw in a bunch of chlorine and shock and said, “Here!” days before even pool school. It’s been trial by fire, it feels like.
More common that you think. Welcome to the forum! :wave:

For now, make sure you have either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit in-hand. You must watch those numbers closely. New plaster means pH will try to rise quickly for months as it cures. If you don't know exactly what the installer dumped in the pool, you have no idea of the CYA (stabilizer) level and need to test that soon. Free Chlorine (FC) will go quickly as well and needs to be balanced as seen on our [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].

Take some time to review our ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and those Vital Links below in my signature. They'll help. Don't forget the proper test kit. That's a must. Post a full set of numbers and we'll help you through it. :)

Welcome! :wave:

Yours is not actually a bad situation. I've read of pool builders doing a lot worse before they disappear. Your water may not be well-treated,. but at least there's no damage that has to be undone.

If the empty packaging is there, see if you can see what kind of shock was thrown in. You may already have some CYA in the water from it.

Beyond that, here's what I know about starting new plaster: _ . So check out Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

More common that you think. Welcome to the forum! :wave:

For now, make sure you have either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit in-hand. You must watch those numbers closely. New plaster means pH will try to rise quickly for months as it cures. If you don't know exactly what the installer dumped in the pool, you have no idea of the CYA (stabilizer) level and need to test that soon. Free Chlorine (FC) will go quickly as well and needs to be balanced as seen on our [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].

Take some time to review our ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and those Vital Links below in my signature. They'll help. Don't forget the proper test kit. That's a must. Post a full set of numbers and we'll help you through it. :)

Thanks for info!
We picked up a JED 4 way test kit because it was most comprehensive we could find locally. And I’ve taken water to local pool supply twice. The pH is so far off (> 8.2) and free chlorine barely measurable. CH also low. So I’ve been dumping acid (4 gallons over past 4 days, and pH hasn’t budged). Put in stabilizer today based on pool supply’s tests and added 2 lbs of shock. My chlorine level keeps being very low in spite of the feeder set on 5. Original test few days ago said stabilizer was adequate. Water looks clear. i had my husband pick up some test strips this pm just so I could reassess these values, as the drop test kit is not showing same values as the pool supply store. The quick test strips were closer to my drop test than the pool store.

At any rate, just added more acid and figure will be a lot more. I will get the recommended test kit soon as possible. At least the CH appears to be improving after 22 lb calcium. Thanks very much for the tutoring. I’ll get some better numbers soon as I can.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you very much! I’ll take a look.

While you are waiting on the test kit, I'll re-cap a few things you noted so you can keep a watchful eye:
- You really want to get that pH down to the mid 7s. The higher it goes over 7.8 the more you subject the plaster to scale. The pH test is typically a drop-based test (5 red drops) so it's one of the more common ones performed. Definitely keep muriatic acid handy, preferably the 31.5% strength for better value a potency. Also, are you running those bubblers all the time? If so, bubblers, spillovers, fountains, etc all increase pH due to aeration. So if they are on, turn them off unless you are actually using them.
- Until your new test kit arrives, be very careful about adding anymore stabilizer (CYA). If you don't know how much (if any) the installer added, you'll be guessing a bit. The CYA is extremely important so that you know what your FC level should be when looking at the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. That's how you keep algae away by balancing those two items. The pool store often gets that test wrong either through rushing the test or improper (incandescent) lighting. One of the recommended test kits helps with this one specifically.
- Also remember that the inline chlorinator (with tabs) is fine for short term use, but each tablet increase your CYA because they are packed with stabilizer. At some point, you'll have to stop using tabs/pucks and use regular liquid chlorine (or regular bleach - same thing) which do not have those side effects. Not sure if you have an HEB nearby, but if so, grab some of their regular Bravo bleach. Cheap and easy to use to maintain your FC level.
- Test strips are nicknamed "guess strips". They really don't help. The TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C will serve your new investment well. I recommend the TF-100. It's packed with Taylor reagents and other items to make testing, easy, accurate, and dare I say almost fun if you also get the magnetic speedstir. You'll see why.
- Practice using the PoolMath tool. It does the work for you once you input info. Practice now so your eyes get used to its looks and how each row is used.

So re-cap ... test kit should be high on the priority list. TFTestkits.net (TF-100 link below) ships very fast. The TF-100 and speedstir are what you need. Get that pH down to the mid 7s. Once your kit arrives, run all your tests and let us know if you have questions. Be particular careful with the CYA test as it determines how high your FC level should be. I like to say it like this:

Sanitation = FC & CYA
Scale/acidity control = PH, TA, & CH

Let us know if you have questions.

Thank you so much for all this. I was up nearly all night reading all the pool chemical info on this site. And I constructed a new post with my levels from yesterday. Would you mind taking a look?

Based on my understanding, I’ve got a plan for today to add bleach x 4 gallons (from pool math), and we will work on the acid. I’m going to turn off that chlorinator and focus only on the liquid chlorine for now. You’re sure right about the pool stores not looking at that ratio. The gal doing the water was intermittently texting and looked as if she’s my daughter’s age. I thought, im sorry, but there’s no way she understands this...

so thanks! I finally have confidence I can handle this. Hopefully no algae before it gets done.