Easytouch 8 with 3 pumps?

Doug,

The EasyTouch systems can only support two IntelliFlo pumps using the RS-485 inputs. That said, I suspect that you can just use the control panel on the pump for one of them.

Tell us what the three pumps are for? I would think that for at least one of them, you could adjust the speed manually and get it where you want, and then just turn the pump on/off with an Aux relay.

You could also add the IntelliComm, which allows you to control the IntelliFlo pump using relay inputs instead of the normal RS-485 serial buss... Not quite the same, but you can make the pump into a three or four speed pump by using one relay for each speed.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim.

Pump #1 runs the filter, in-floor system, spa overflow, or 4 spa jets.
Pump #2 only runs 8 jets in the spa.
Pump #3 runs bubblers, sheer descents, and deck jets.

I could possibly run pump #2 separately and just keep the speed the same. What are your thoughts and recommendations on how to get it set up properly. How can I set up that pump on an Aux relay?

Doug,

As you may already know, the IntelliFlo is made to be connected to constant AC power and the on/off and speeds are controlled by a serial cable. To control the 3rd pump, you would have to run the AC power from a circuit breaker to an Aux relay and then to the pump. You would set the pump's control panel to run 24/7 at X RPM. When the power was removed by the relay, the pump would stop, when you turned on the Aux relay the pump would get power and return to running at X RPM.

The two problems that I see with this approach is that if you leave the pump off for several days, I suspect the program memory will be lost, or that turning the pump off by just cutting the power may cause intermittent errors and hang the pump up until you push a reset button.

A much better way to do this would be to use the IntelliComm. Basically, the IntelliChem receives low voltage signals from your Aux relays and translates them into control signals for your pump. Using 1 Aux relay would give you one speed, 2 Aux relays would give you 2 speeds, etc. This would allow you to power the IntelliFlo from continual AC power, but still control the pump using Aux relays.

Here is a link to the IntelliChem manual. https://pentairpool.com/~/media/websites/pool/downloads/automation/manuals/intellicomm_ii_interface_adapter_english.pdf

If this is a new system, I would get the installers to get it set up for you...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Noted. Thank you. I believe I have 2 open Aux buttons. I'm doing this owner builder and the electrical company I used is spendy to have come out. Will look into the IntelliComm further to see if I can install that.

I suppose it probably would have been better to use the Intellitouch panel, but maybe more expensive.

Doug,

As you may already know, the IntelliFlo is made to be connected to constant AC power and the on/off and speeds are controlled by a serial cable. To control the 3rd pump, you would have to run the AC power from a circuit breaker to an Aux relay and then to the pump. You would set the pump's control panel to run 24/7 at X RPM. When the power was removed by the relay, the pump would stop, when you turned on the Aux relay the pump would get power and return to running at X RPM.

The two problems that I see with this approach is that if you leave the pump off for several days, I suspect the program memory will be lost, or that turning the pump off by just cutting the power may cause intermittent errors and hang the pump up until you push a reset button.

A much better way to do this would be to use the IntelliComm. Basically, the IntelliChem receives low voltage signals from your Aux relays and translates them into control signals for your pump. Using 1 Aux relay would give you one speed, 2 Aux relays would give you 2 speeds, etc. This would allow you to power the IntelliFlo from continual AC power, but still control the pump using Aux relays.

Here is a link to the IntelliChem manual. https://pentairpool.com/~/media/web.../intellicomm_ii_interface_adapter_english.pdf

If this is a new system, I would get the installers to get it set up for you...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim. I ordered the Intellicom II as well as the actuator and com expansion boards so I'm hoping I can get things rocking and rolling together.

I currently have 2 aux buttons open, plus the solar, which I might install someday. I could probably get rid of my cleaner aux button and just use the feature to turn the rpm higher. That would give me 3 aux buttons. Going to put an actuator to change between the in-floor and spa overflow. Once intellicom is set up to allow the 3rd pump I will do 1 or 2 actuators to change between the sheer descents, bubblers, and deck jets. I wonder if I should maybe do pump #2 thru the intellicom and pump #3 thru easytouch since pump #2 will basically only have one speed for running spa jets. What are your thoughts?

Currently pump #2 is set to kick on at 3000 rpm when I hit the spa button and pump #3 is controlled only at the pump but would need several speeds to work with the features properly.

Pump #1 runs the filter, in-floor system, spa overflow, or 4 spa jets.
Pump #2 only runs 8 jets in the spa.
Pump #3 runs bubblers, sheer descents, and deck jets.

E,

The standard ET supports 4 valves... Two of them must be the Intake and Return valves which are used to switch between the Pool and Spa modes. The leaves you with two user configurable valves, A and B... If you plan to use Solar, then you only have one valve left.

I never use an Aux circuit when I can use a Feature circuit. For the most part, unless you are turning something on/off by controlling the AC power going though a relay, using a Feature circuit is a better option. You can control pump speeds and the A and B valves using Features circuits.

I would think that 2 speeds would be plenty for your 8 Spa jets.. Keeping in mind that you can have those speeds be whatever you want.

Sorry, I'm sure it is just me, but I don't fully understand your plumbing and how you plan to use it..

Spa overflow is normally controlled by just putting the automation into the spillover mode. Normally you suck water from the pool and return water to the pool.. this is done with the Intake and Return valves. When you turn on the spillover mode, the Return valve rotates so that you return the pool water to the Spa... obviously water coming in with no place to go will spill over and back into the pool. No special valve is needed. :confused:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Was trying to get everything going today but ran into trouble. Installed the Intellicomm 2 (521109) and the Com Port Expansion Module (520818). [FONT=&quot]Have a few questions someone might be able to help with.[/FONT]

1- Currently when I hit the spa button it moves both actuators to send water to the spa and pull water from the spa. When I hit the spa button again it goes back to pool mode. How do I set up the spa spillover (pull from pool and return to spa)?

2- I installed the intellicomm 2 as per the installation manual but can't seem to get it to run my 3rd pump. The intellicomm lights up (power and program 3) but doesn't turn the pump on. Is there something I need to do to the intelliflo vs 011018 pump? The pump comm wires are installed in the intellicomm comm port as directed and the jumper cable is going from Program 3 on the intellicomm to aux6 on the easytouch 8 panel. I also tried the jumper to the extra "spa" place on the panel (since i just want it to turn the 3rd pump on when I hit the spa button).

3- I bought the Pentair Module VLV To Add 3 Actuators | 520285 since i wanted to add more than 4 total actuators. Seems this won't work with the easytouch 8 as there is no way to connect it. Need to figure out how to get the extra couple actuators working with intellicomm 2.

4- Any idea if i could just use Intellivalves (521485) wired to the Com Expansion Board instead of the standard Pentair Compool actuators? The com expansion board has several spots for them and says "Intellivalve Only" and "Future Use".

thank you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Doug,

1... To suck water from the pool and then push water to your spa, you need to be in the "SpillOver" mode. (See post #9)

2... Did you set up the speeds you want in the External control menu on the pump? Also "For the pump to accept commands from the IntelliComm, the pump must be in the Running Schedules mode, (LED above the Start/Stop button lit) This note is from my IntelliFlo VS, yours might be a little different, so check the manual..

3.. The ET can only control two valves beside the Intake and Return valves. You can use an Aux circuit and make your own valve driver.. Takes a 24 VAC step down transformer and a single pole, double through relay. (See post #9)

4. IntelliValves are no different than regular actuators.. The both require the same voltage and the same three wires control to work.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim,

1 - Spillover mode won't start. When I push the button once it goes to spa mode and the next time i hit the button it goes back to pool mode. Is there some programming I need to do for spillover mode to work?

2 - Yes, I set the speed in the "Ext Control" on the pump to 2500 RPM for program 3. The pump is in "Running Schedules" mode as well and the program 3 light illuminates on the Intellicomm 2 but nothing happens at the pump. The green and yellow wire for that pump are running to the Intellicomm 2 as per the directions.

3 - Noted. Will look into doing that but couldn't I use the "Intellivalve" plugs on the Com Expansion Module 520818?
https://sunplay.com/products/pentair-com-port-expansion-module-520818?variant=6881214824483&gclid=Cj0KCQjwof3cBRD9ARIsAP8x70NX2T109O32hCRwegK_-jsc8JhWgWYSsbN-cP_bEJVL9JmWhy5rit4aAh9OEALw_wcB

This module also has several spots for the pump comm cable (green and yellow) wires to connect. My other 2 pumps are in those now and working good with easytouch.

4 - The Intellivalve ports on the Com Expansion module only have 2 prongs and are different sized than the regular valve actuators. Also in need of ability to turn valve 50% between 2 different water features and wasn't sure the regular pentair compool actuator could do so.

Doug,

You have to set up a "Circuit" and use the Spillover "Function" first.

For example, you can use the Aux 8 Circuit, and name it "Spillover" or whatever you want, and then make the Circuit Function "Spillover".. Pushing the Aux 8 button, or scheduling Aux 8, should turn the valves to the spillover condition..

I looked at the IntelliValve, and they use a three wire connector.. I have no idea what you are looking at, but will look at the manual for the Com expansion module.. The IntelliValve will not allow you to have three positions.. The valve will always turn all the way from stop to stop. You can set the stops where you want, but you can't have three positions, such as full left, middle, and full right.

You can have a 100 IntelliFlo pumps connected to you com buss... that is not the problem.. the problem is that the firmware in the main board will not recognize more then two pumps. It is not a connection problem, it is a Firmware problem. You have the same problem with valves. It is not a connection issue but rather a control/programming issue.

I talked with one of our experts, and he said your best bet would be to removed the EasyTouch board and replace it with IntelliTouch boards. They would allow you to control three pumps and more valves..

I am not sure why the Intelicomm is not working, but I'll go over your set up and see if I can spot anything.

I'll see what else I can come up with...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Doug,

I don't see any reason why your IntelliComm is not running the pump..

I did see this note... "Unlike the VF, the IntelliFlo VS does not have to be in the “Running” mode to
accept commands from an IntelliComm II. The power must be on (Green LED lit)
on the IntelliComm II to accept commands."

Also ensure the pump is set to address #1 (internal to the pump) and make double sure the Yellow and Green wires are going to the correct pins on the module.

Other than that, I suggest you call Pentair and see what they say.. Might be tough right now as they are in NC...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim. I believe the pump address is set to 3 since the easytouch was having trouble with multiple pumps being named #1. I will change it over to #1 since the comm cable is now running to the intellicomm 2. hopefully that is the issue. i have a contact form out to pentair currently about this as well.

Doug,

I don't see any reason why your IntelliComm is not running the pump..

I did see this note... "Unlike the VF, the IntelliFlo VS does not have to be in the “Running” mode to
accept commands from an IntelliComm II. The power must be on (Green LED lit)
on the IntelliComm II to accept commands."

Also ensure the pump is set to address #1 (internal to the pump) and make double sure the Yellow and Green wires are going to the correct pins on the module.

Other than that, I suggest you call Pentair and see what they say.. Might be tough right now as they are in NC...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the help Jim. That all makes sense.

Instead of using an Aux could I set up the spillover using the Valve button that currently switches between pool and spa mode? That button has Pool / Spa / Fill(Spillway) / Drain listed but currently only switches between Pool and Spa mode.

Noted on the valve. Seems I may not have an automation option for my water features actuators. Would need to go between bubblers and waterfalls and 50% each so will have to continue doing by hand.

Unfortunately at this point I have to stick with the easytouch as I'm 1200+ invested into it. Just may not be able to do some of the automation stuff I thought I would be able to.

I did have one other question you may help with. When I turn on my spa and set my temp on the easytouch panel, it doesn't go by that temp. it goes by the temp I set on the heater itself. is that how it should function?

Doug,

You have to set up a "Circuit" and use the Spillover "Function" first.

For example, you can use the Aux 8 Circuit, and name it "Spillover" or whatever you want, and then make the Circuit Function "Spillover".. Pushing the Aux 8 button, or scheduling Aux 8, should turn the valves to the spillover condition..

I looked at the IntelliValve, and they use a three wire connector.. I have no idea what you are looking at, but will look at the manual for the Com expansion module.. The IntelliValve will not allow you to have three positions.. The valve will always turn all the way from stop to stop. You can set the stops where you want, but you can't have three positions, such as full left, middle, and full right.

You can have a 100 IntelliFlo pumps connected to you com buss... that is not the problem.. the problem is that the firmware in the main board will not recognize more then two pumps. It is not a connection problem, it is a Firmware problem. You have the same problem with valves. It is not a connection issue but rather a control/programming issue.

I talked with one of our experts, and he said your best bet would be to removed the EasyTouch board and replace it with IntelliTouch boards. They would allow you to control three pumps and more valves..

I am not sure why the Intelicomm is not working, but I'll go over your set up and see if I can spot anything.

I'll see what else I can come up with...

Thanks,

Jim R.

I did have one other question you may help with. When I turn on my spa and set my temp on the easytouch panel, it doesn't go by that temp. it goes by the temp I set on the heater itself. is that how it should function?

Doug,

The heater should be controlled by the temperature set on the ET.. Basically, the heater is supposed to be on and set to full hot... The ET measures the water temperature and shuts off the two wire link between the heater an the ET, when the water temperature gets to the set point you entered into the ET.

I "assume" you have the heater wired into the ET and depending on heater, set for external control.. ???

I am not sure how the valve button works, to select Spillover, but I suspect it only works in "Service mode".. Something I need to look up... You don't need to use an Aux circuit, you could also use a Feature circuit. I have no idea why you would want to run the spillover by pushing a button.?? Since I have gotten ScreenLogic, I rarely even open my panel any more...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ok, got some things figured out after your suggestions as well as talking to Pentair support.

The intellicom started working as soon as I changed the pump address to #1. It was set to #3 because it was my third pump on easytouch previously. The pentair guy didn't think that would do anything but it surely did.

The "Fill/Spillway" valve button does indeed only work in service mode. I set up a feature to do a spillover on the spa and it is working.

Got the heater set to max and run temp thru the easytouch.

Also set up the screenlogic to work with alexa. Little glitchy but can handle doing some things well, like turning on the pool lights.

Pentair support confirmed that there is no modulating 3 way valve that can stop at say 50%. Surprised there isn't one on the market. Have to think of how I want to handle my water features since I wanted to be able to do 100% bubblers or 100% waterfalls or 50% to each. May just set the actuator to start at 100% waterfalls then move to final stop at 50% to each. Wouldn't be able to do 100% bubblers but it would be automated. I will likely run it thru the easytouch but could use the intellicom with an aux button if I end up adding any more actuators.

Thanks for your help Jim.

Doug,

The IntelliComm manual says the pump address must be #1. Just proves that not all Pentair support people are created equal.. :p

One thing to think about for controlling your bubblers and waterfall... You can have the ET adjust the pump's RPM, which helps you have the water feature look the way you want. So you can assign different pump speeds for bubblers (low) or bubblers (high)..

Just keep in mind that the faster you run the pump the more it will cost.

I am glad to see you got it all running,

Jim R.

Thanks again for your help Jim.

Looks like the reason I missed having the pump set as #1 was because it was only mentioned under the VF pump and not under the VS pump instructions. Glad I tried your suggestion and got it working.

Yes, I have my water features set up at different speeds using Features and will figure out how to adjust the cams in the actuator to make it stop where I want it to.

Doug,

The IntelliComm manual says the pump address must be #1. Just proves that not all Pentair support people are created equal.. :p

One thing to think about for controlling your bubblers and waterfall... You can have the ET adjust the pump's RPM, which helps you have the water feature look the way you want. So you can assign different pump speeds for bubblers (low) or bubblers (high)..

Just keep in mind that the faster you run the pump the more it will cost.

I am glad to see you got it all running,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.