Sunscreen in pools?

Jun 8, 2018
Clarksville/TN
Dont know if this is right place, and didn't find anything with sunscreen search.
Anyway, read a little bit about sunscreens in pool causing problems, it was older unfo.
Any up to date stuff regarding the best sunscreens to use in pools? Or how to minimize problems?

The lotions people use can leave scum lines, gum up cartridge filters, etc. Some folks use a product called Scum Balls placed in the skimmer.

I have 2 scum balls in my pool and they do very little to help with sunscreen. I personally do not use sunscreen as I do not like the scum line it leaves in the pool. When we have company over to swim they must shower the sunscreen off before getting in.

if you don't want a sun tan or burn wear a rash guard in the pool, that is what we put on our grandson and it works, along with a hat.

I wouldnt tell my kids or guests they arent allow to wear sunscreen on a hot sunny day. I will however try to make sure that they wait and let the lotion sink in for a while after applying, as opposed to jumping in immediately. It doesnt totally solve the issue, but it does cut it down.....and it's also way better for them.

Your pool, your rules... But I won't spend extended time outside without sunscreen - swim shirt or no. Many people feel the same way.

Absolutely! Here in Australia very few people would venture into the sun without sunscreen on along with a hat and wearing a rashie in the pool. In fact every school here in Queensland has a no hat no play policy and sunscreen is expected to be in your child’s bag. I will deal with the pool scum.

I wouldnt tell my kids or guests they arent allow to wear sunscreen on a hot sunny day. I will however try to make sure that they wait and let the lotion sink in for a while after applying, as opposed to jumping in immediately. It doesnt totally solve the issue, but it does cut it down.....and it's also way better for them.

So many people ignore the part in the sunscreen directions where it says to apply then wait 15 minutes before going into sun and/or water and then wonder why they got sunburned when the jump in the pool 4 seconds after rubbing sunscreen on themselves.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.