Polaris 280 issue

wmt5

Aug 3, 2018
Athens, GA
So my Polaris 280 threw a shoe. It's happened before when I pushed too hard to dislodge it from behind the ladder and broke the axle. I ordered a new one, replaced it, and was good to go.
When I looked out the window the other day I couldn't see it making it's rounds. When I went down I found it stalled on the bottom of the pool. I pulled it up and noticed that the same wheel was
missing. I saw the wheel on the bottom and assumed the same thing had happened again. When I dove down to get it I found the wheel as well as the axle plate and the 2 SS screws. I figured I
hadn't tightened them down enough when I replaced the axle and they had worked loose. When I attempted to re-attach the axle the screws turned but wouldn't tighten down. When I looked closer
it became apparent that the threads in the collars inset in the plastic frame had rusted away. They look like they are brass and given the nature of the product I would think that shouldn't happen
from being under water. Has anyone else had this issue? Can the collars be replaced or re-threaded to take a larger diameter screw, or am I stuck buying a new frame and having to move all the
parts from old to new? I have a marginal relationship with technology and/or inanimate objects:eek:. Any alternatives to breaking down and rebuilding would be appreciated.

Dissimilar metal corrosion. One of the downsides of that amount of salt in the pool. It takes its toll on cleaners in the pool.

Replace the frame and move on.

This is a noted issue, the inserts pull out under high stress over time in some conditions.

How old is your cleaner? Contact Polaris Customer Service and give them the serial number, Polaris Frame/Chassis come with a 5 year warranty they will send you a new chassis and also suggest you install the Polaris Ladder Guard G21 to avoid the ladder issue down the road.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.