16x40 Viking Caribbean Build by Sea Breeze OKC.

Hey Shingar,

Looking forward to your build as we have thought about a FG pool as well. Still a few years out, but we are researching them. They make Viking pools here actually. Anyway, welcome, and looking forward to the updates.

Brushpup. Thanks for the welcome! My wife has been wanting a pool for about 10 years now.....and like you....I spent a bunch of time researching. It's amazing how much is involved. It came down to fiberglass and gunite for us....and we just like the ease of care for the fiberglass (plus they had the shape and size we were looking for). I'll be documenting this pretty closely once the dig starts...but in the meantime we're getting everything prepared.....new lawn furniture....pool toys....pool cleaner (still not sure which we'll go with...I like the robots....but wife does not like the prices. haha).

Heya Chief. Welcome to my thread. Nice to hear good things about the Salt Water Generator we've chosen. I see how the cost is somewhat of a wash between the SWG and a auto chlorinator...but I like the ease of use and all the things we are hearing about how much nicer the water feels on the skin. I love pools....but I hate that chemical induced dry skin feeling I get after spending some time in the pool. I think we made the right choice on a SWG...and it's one of the regrets most pool owners have that decided against one during their install....that and they tell me you can never have too much decking. ;)

Anyway.....things should start picking up here in a month or two. Already planning a Polar Bear Plunge and BBQ for February!

dremin2flyhi said:
With the past 3 years on the SWCG... I have only been thru one gallon of acid --to control the Ph... But I do keep a good check on the TA--Baking Soda is cheap.. I normally only spend bout 35.00 a year on chemicals here and 75% of that is CYA--rest is the 5.00 bags of salt from home depot.

I'm completely sold now! Thanks for the input!

jhav said:
After reading a bunch of information on this and other sites; and asking tons of questions of the competing contractors I want with the cartridge filter primarily based on my understanding of the performance benefit along with the anticipated minimal maintenance. From what I have gathered, I shouldn't need to mess with the cartridges aside from pool opening and closing. Additionally, while they may not clean as perfectly as a DE filter, I always have the option of adding a little DE to the cartridge if I am not satisfied with the 'clarity' of my pool.

Also, the few customer references that I contacted in my area are all utilizing the Sta-Rite cartridge filter that we have chosen and they all have provided positive references for it... that was enough for me to validate my decision.

Our pool builder suggested the sand filter. I'm still researching our equipment options....and will look into cartridge filters. I believe in getting what you want the first time.....that way you'll have no regrets down the road. Thanks for the input....so much to consider!

Welp.....just a few weeks away from our install. My small town requires a pool permit now (a new requirement) so I have applied for that on behalf of the builder....It's free and I wanted no chance of a work stoppage once we get started. I should have permit in hand by middle of next week.

I'm also still looking for a unique water feature. I really like the scupper bowl setup....but can find none locally....and the cost to ship from AZ is crazy. I may have to make a trip to Phoenix some weekend soon. Anyway....anyone have any suggestions for a water feature other than waterfalls?

triplewok.jpg

Would love something like this!!!!

We're about 2 weeks from the beginning of our dig. Our pool builder seems to be on track with the promised "mid-November" time-frame. The weather has cooled down drastically here....and my neighbors have closed their pools for the season. Still, we couldn't be more excited! I'm liking the fact that we chose a winter install. By the time swimming weather returns...most of our mess should be gone and the grass should be back.

We have a few details to consider over the next few weeks. We still need to get an electrician to do the hookups (this was not included in the deal with our PB). Besides the standard timer and pad hookups.....I'm going to have him run a line to the pad that the pavillion will be built on next year (we'll also have gas and water run before they pour the cement).

I'm also installing a surveillance system. We have a teenager and I'd like to verify our rule of "no pool unless we are home" is being followed. For that reason...I have picked out a system that can be monitored from anywhere in the world via my smartphone. I'll be installing the system this weekend. 2 cameras will be dedicated to the pool and pool area......and the other 2 will monitor the driveway and front of the house. You can't put a price on piece of mind.

More soon...with pics!

You should be excited - it is a really amazing process... and it goes so fast that it is hard to believe. I have a bunch more pics of our build to upload... our electrical was completed yesterday and the tracks for the auto-cover were installed. I'll try to get them up tonight... give you a sense for what else is coming your way. Enjoy the anticipation --- and get ready to write lots, and lots, and lots of checks with many zeros on them.

Curious - what surveillance system did you purchase? I am very interested in installing something with similar functionality to what you described.

jhav: I'm ready to write those checks....

I bought the SVAT CV502-4CH-002 Web Ready 4 Channel H.264 500GB HDD DVR Security System with Smart Phone Access and 4 Indoor/Outdoor Hi-Res Night Vision CCD Surveillance Cameras system. It took me a few hours to set it it all up....but now I can watch in real time what is happening at my home.....and my pool on my cell phone. The rule is...no parent at home....no kid in the pool. Because I have this system...I can enforce that rule.

We are looking at the weekend after Thanksgiving now for the pool install. Our builder was delayed by rain and horrible weather.....but at least now I can watch the install from work. Love my security system!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow! It's been an exciting past few days. I have figured out how to stop the drought that has been gripping us here in Oklahoma this past year. All you have to do is install a pool and voila! All the rain you can stand. Work continues on our pool....but it's been in between periods of rain.....so it's been slower going than anyone would have thought. My poor backyard is going to require a bit of TLC this summer, what with all the heavy equipment operating on the newly rain-saturated turf. Fun!

The good news is although progress has been slowed by Mother-Nature....it hasn't been stopped! Pool is in the ground and plumbing has started.

I selected the placement of the 3 LED lights today. I decided to have them installed on the side of the pool closest to the house....facing away from the house. I spoke with a guy that had put them facing the house....and it's his one regret. I guess the glare is a bit much.....and he really wishes he would have it to do over again. I have learned as much from the successes of others as I have from their failures. It's the little things that you don't think of that become the biggest regrets.

Anyway...here are a few photos taken between 14 Dec 2011 and 16 Dec 2011.

Lowering into the pit!

pool21.jpg

They must have lowered it in...pulled it out...and lowered it in about 3 dozen times as they got the bottom perfectly flush. After about 2 hours.....they got it flush and laser level all around.

pool30.jpg

They started the plumbing today.....most of my equipment has arrived. The plan is to have it all plumbed by Saturday and if the weather holds.....to start work on the concrete on Monday.

pool35.jpg

Now I'm filling it up to the tile with my well water. That Dang well is finally starting to pay for it self. Suck on that City Water Company! It looks like the river I used to go swimming in when I was younger. Looking forward to getting that water looking good with the tips from the Pool School forum.

pool31-1.jpg

It's not ready for entertaining quit yet.....but I think we'll have some friends over and have a few drinks around it tonight anyway!

pool32.jpg

Mark gave me the concrete color sheet today.......so my wife needs to select the coping color soon.

More soon!

Shingar said:
jhav: I'm ready to write those checks....

I bought the SVAT CV502-4CH-002 Web Ready 4 Channel H.264 500GB HDD DVR Security System with Smart Phone Access and 4 Indoor/Outdoor Hi-Res Night Vision CCD Surveillance Cameras system. It took me a few hours to set it it all up....but now I can watch in real time what is happening at my home.....and my pool on my cell phone. The rule is...no parent at home....no kid in the pool. Because I have this system...I can enforce that rule.

We are looking at the weekend after Thanksgiving now for the pool install. Our builder was delayed by rain and horrible weather.....but at least now I can watch the install from work. Love my security system!

How much was this surveillance system? Do you have a link?
Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.