Could something be neutralizing my chlorine?

Nov 3, 2015
Frederick md
Hey all,

Feel I have a unique situation.

First off I opened my pool early june. Started green I felt it took more shocking then normal. Nothing crazy about a triple shock.

Any way had a big opening party, and between splash out, and a crack developing in the steps I lost about 2 ft of water. (8k~)

Unable to replenish the water in a timely fashion, I let it go for about 3 weeks. Became green again of course.

Now mother nature stepped in and I'm filled back up with rain water.

PH was 8 and I took it down to 6.4, added 8 lbs calhypo (30k~ pool).

Next morning has 0fc.

Added 8lbs more and this morning read 0fc.

With the water level at the brim from rain I did a full vacuumed to waste (blindly in the deep end)

Today I added 15gal. 5.25 bleach and it reads 5ppm fc?

Tia for any advice!

25-30k pool (last 3 days got 16 lbs 52%calhypo, and 15gal 5.25 bleach)
Fc 5
PH 6.4
Th 250
Ta 60
Cya 60

Yeah just using strips. I dumped in a bunch acid to get it low to help the chlorine. When it's not green anymore I'll bump it back up. By "triple shock" I meaneed - 'shock = 3 bags I put in 9'.

I get it all the algae is using up the chlorine but from my last 3 years with the pool I have never had to add that much to a light green pool.

Is the chlorine consumption I've quoted not abnormal?

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

I'll also add it's been raining so the sun has not been much of a factor

We find the guesstrips you are using unreliable and often not repeatable. They especially don't work at higher CL levels you need to do a SLAM Process process. We are reluctant to give advice based on unreliable tests.

We don't use "shock" products to clear algae problems. We use sufficient liquid chlorine following the SLAM Process process. That method is based on good science and does not push pool store products.

Is the chlorine consumption I've quoted not abnormal?

That CL consumption is not surprising for a big algae bloom.

I suggest you stop what you are doing, get one of the recommended test kits, review Pool School - Pool School , post the test results from your test kit when you get it, and we can help you move forward.

Test Strips simply do not provide the accuracy and consistency you need. Because of this we do not make chemical recommendations based on them.

Order a test kit as suggested earlier.

Thanks.

I do need to get a proper test kit. I do also have the oto, and pH drops, if that's any better to guess with for now.

In my first year with the pool I did read through your school and if I'm honest probably forget most of it and I'll read back through again. But, contrary, I did retain what I interpreted to be the most important, regarding cause effect and side effect of what you got and what you put in.

Im sure this is the last thing you want to hear - 'I have a professional pool friend, and occasionally hear out the pool store'. I'm well aware this form has a set way of doing things, suggested products, and you arrived here with success and science so I take the advice given here strongly, however not as gospel, and I would hope that represents any rationally thinking humans train of thought.

Anyway I'm glad to hear the chlorine consumption is not unheard of, and I'll throw some more at it tomorrow. hopefully by then it will be clear enough to do a vacuum with eyes, and should be taking a dip in no time.

Thanks!

Im sure this is the last thing you want to hear - 'I have a professional pool friend, and occasionally hear out the pool store'. I'm well aware this form has a set way of doing things, suggested products, and you arrived here with success and science so I take the advice given here strongly, however not as gospel, and I would hope that represents any rationally thinking humans train of thought.

If you look through the threads in The Deep End... and do some searching you will find posts and discussion on the TFP methods. Much of it has been summarized in the Pool School - Pool School . But if you want to delve into the science behind Pool School the threads are here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.