I don't want to winterize

The only thing I'm really worried about not being below the freeze line is the deck jets. Now, does this sound doable????
Turn off the valves to all my deck jets.
Remove the jet thingys at the concrete surface which will expose the pipe coming to my jets. Stick a hose of some kind down in there and syphon out the water and pour antifreeze down in the pipes.
I'm not really worried about the return and skimmer lines cause they are below the freeze line. If it got really,really cold I could just run my pump.
I'm going to put insulation in my pool house. Barring an electrical outage, I should be o.k. with the pipes coming out of the ground in it. As I said, I could always use a 20G propane tank to heat it if need be.

orthofish said:
The only thing I'm really worried about not being below the freeze line is the deck jets. Now, does this sound doable???? Turn off the valves to all my deck jets. Remove the jet thingys at the concrete surface which will expose the pipe coming to my jets. Stick a hose of some kind down in there and syphon out the water and pour antifreeze down in the pipes.
I would think that syphoning water from this narrow pipe would be more difficult than blowing the water out from the pad (dedicated deck jet valves open, of course) to the jets, or vice-versa. On my system the pvc runs that feed the deck jets are only buried a few inches under the deck, so would likely be subject to freeze. If you're concerned about water leaking into them, mixing a strong solution of antifreeze/water and filling the pipes seems like a sound notion. You'd finish by installing water-proof plugs at the business end of each jet, and securely closing the valves controlling flow to the jets.

[Caveat: I'm not a winter-closer, so my advice here is subject to potentially better info from other members living to your North!]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.