Leave vacuum in pool?

I just bought a new dolphin premier vacuum. I am in an above-ground pool until we make decisions on the permanent one. There is no deck and I don't want to build one because this is a temporary pool. My Dolphin can't climb up the side and go to its home because there's no deck. Do any of you leave your vacuum in the pool all the time?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Yup.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, just realized you are talking about a robot, not a suction side cleaner (vacuum).

I defer to others ... but I thought generally they were not supposed to be left in the water all the time.

Donna,

I have a couple of older Dolphins at rent houses that both stay in the pool for a week or so at a time. Both of them are about 15 years old.

I am sure doing that has made the plastic fade in color, but not sure that it has caused any mechanical problems. I have had to change bearings and tracks, but I would have had to do that whether they were kept in the water or not.

The one at my house only goes in the pool when the pool needs it. About once ever two or three days.. One of the benefits of having a robot cleaner is that you don't have to look at it in your pool... :p

I believe that any damage from leaving it in the pool would happen over a long period of time, so if I were in your shoes, I'd just leave it in the pool for now. I'd also think about building a small 4' by 4' deck and use that as a place to park the Robot when not in use and where you could take the filters out for cleaning.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Man I wish my old Dolphins would have lasted that long. They both seem to work just long enough to get out of warranty. And thus I now have a suction cleaner :)

Jason,

Well, to be honest, I bought them about 6 or 7 years ago off of Craig's list, so I have no idea how they were treated before I got them. Both of them are the old Diagnostic bag style units. When I got them, one had a bad cord connection at the motor and both needed new tracks and bearings.. Sometime in the past couple of years, one of the power supplies had to be replaced.

But all and all they have been working great. When they do die, I'll be replacing them with new ones.

Jim R.

I think the 2 I had were a Diagnostic and a Dynamic ... both bags. Had a power supply issue that was replaced under warranty. But now they both just do not do anything. Perhaps I should see if it might be something easy to fix, been to lazy to play engineer :D

I was leaving mine in all the time on a schedule but started taking it out when I converted to SWG. Not sure if long term exposure to the salt would affect it or not. Assuming someone knows if it affects it or not let me know and I will start leaving it in again if it doesn't.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.