Installing in West by god.

IMG_6793.jpgIMG_6792.jpgThings done from now don't seem noteworthy but must be done. I think I have the sand filter figured out. Have it in place along with it the newly arrived two speed pump. Have the cable around the pool and connected to it in four places. Bought the connection plate to ground to the skimmer, and plan on grounding the nearby fence. I have a question about the grounding or bonding procedure, I hope you guys can answer for me, I googled it, you tubed it, but nothing seemed to be definitive. I connected the wire to the pump ran it around the pool connected it in four places. Next plan to run it up to the skimmer, then on to ground the fence. Now where does the wire end? Does it make its way back to the grounding point on the pump to complete the circuit, or does it just end, at the last item wanting to be grounded?

I connected the wire to the pump ran it around the pool connected it in four places. Next plan to run it up to the skimmer, then on to ground the fence. Now where does the wire end? Does it make its way back to the grounding point on the pump to complete the circuit, or does it just end, at the last item wanting to be grounded?

I'm not sure if you are asking about the grounding wires or the bonding wires. I am told they are completely unrelated to each other.I

f you are asking about the copper bonding wire, I can tell you how mine was run by my hired electrician. It ran from the skimmer PVC line to one of the connection points on the pool wall. It then ran in a huge circle all the way around my pool. At four different points along that big circle, it had a small T connection that attached to points on the pool wall verticals, bolted through the steel support near the bottom. Does that make any sense?

So there are a total of four connection points to the pool wall, but the copper wire goes all the way around the pool and connects to itself before running away from the pool out to the skimmer PVC line (about 1-2 feet before it reaches the pump).

Oh I see what could be done with that info..........as it goes around the back of the pool he could run it out to the fence then back into the pool in a couple of places. That will allow it to go all the way around so it is one big wonky circle.

Thanks Mr B! :hug:

Kim:kim:

Thanks again. I was not sure that it connected back onto itself or not. Whenever I would look at a video it would always show a bunch of wire, where it met from being placed around the pool, but would never show they were hooked together or even say they were hooked together and some point. Thanks to you I now can complete the connection and bury the rest of the cable. No work today, taking brother to Martinsburg, VA

Oh I see what could be done with that info..........as it goes around the back of the pool he could run it out to the fence then back into the pool in a couple of places. That will allow it to go all the way around so it is one big wonky circle.

Thanks Mr B! :hug:

Kim:kim:

I try to help with the little bit of knowledge that I've accumulated thus far. :scratch: :scratch:

That looks like you made great progress and have done some very nice work even if mother nature tried to flood you out. If only the rains were a few days later it would have been nice help to fill the pool.

MrB explained it pretty well that the loop around the pool connects back to itself to form a circle of wire around the pool. From that circle you a bond wire to the things that need bonding. From the photos you have it looks like you did things correctly .

Have you been on vacation Chuck? Pool still needs 6 more inches after I install skimmer. Rain predicted here next week everyday at 60% . Might fill the rest of the way. Great city I live in charges for water one rate and the disposal of that water at the same rate. So instead of giving me a break, knowing the water put in pool would not be exiting through the system have decided to charge me for the disposal of the 9000 gal. Still in the pool. So if I ever have to bleed off some water it will not go to the ground I will send it down the sewer system.

I have been very busy with all that life can throw at me lately. Between some major projects I'm in charge of at my day job and trying to finish building a house for my in-laws I haven't even had time to go in my pool for a month now.

You build one tiny little house for yourself and now everyone wants one too. It's worse than owning a pickup that people want to borrow. :rolleyes:

My town has the same billing for water/ sewer. I know people who had a water line ruptured and they still got billed for sewer charges. I'm very happy to be on my well and septic system.

Your pool looks great tho you've done some nice work.

I was surely gritting my teeth with every ounce of water that went in. Was expecting it to give way. Just put around 4 inches in at a time. I found the paper work for the filter. I had put in 250 lbs sand, had to take 30 lbs back out. Skimmer going in tomorrow electric will be done too. Then the deck. I might make it just in time to close the pool if I hurry. I do a lot of work for my father-in-law, he's 93, and still going. Chuck, I could use a new pool house after you finish up the other build.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It was great to have all that dirt leave. But now I have to find the best way to deal with what is left. The dirt skimmed over the old grass is now a hard packed clay. My tiller is acting up and not running or I would just till it under and throw some seed at it. I am not going to do anything though til I get the deck up. May not be as big a job as I think in the end, could just put a forty foot deck all the way around. No mess and no,grass to grow and cut. Alas! Treated wood is to expensive for all that. Unboxed the cover and entry steps today, was able to get the cover on and trimmed to fit. It took several trips around the pool, in and out of the mucky ditches by myself to unfold and trim, but I'm retired, and this is what I live for, Not! I've been testing the water, started a thread in chemicals section to seek help in understanding chart. Did not start it here, figured a moderator would just kick it to another forum section if I did. Going to put the steps in tomorrow. Then if the sun ever comes out again, I will figure away to get into the pool, just to say I did so.

We kind of like everything to stay in one thread. We see it as your pool "story" and most of the time it works better to keep everything together as some times thing work together or against each other. When I have a couple of extra mins. I will take a look see to see if it would make sense to merge everything or some of it.

I say you climb that wall and jump in CANNON BALL! LOL Might be hard to get out though......

IMG_6836.jpgGetting out would be tough, I have the pool steps to get out, once I put them together. My first proper numbers from test after adding the CYA and then the chlorine, are as follows FC: 2.4. CC: O.4. pH units: 0.8. TA: 110. CYA 40. Added 21 oz 10% chlorine as directed by pool calculator. The cover as you see, is not of the wrinkle free variety. I guess these wrinkles will eventually relax and level out, but I am not sure if they will though, given that the cover is now cut to fit, it may not have the room to spread out even. We are just now getting pounded by another down pour. Having a pool is not as fun as I thought it would be. Yesterday I had to run water out of water the pool, at this rate I will be putting in more CYA, soon. Will have to run more water out after today, too.

Lets look at the pH number................0.8? Did it match the color at the top of the tube?

Once you get everything done and balance it will be a LOT easier! After a while it be on cruse control really. The set up and start up do take quite a bit of time that should be worth in at the end of the road.

It's been raining and dismal for a week now, next week and the rest of this week calling for the same. Talk about a damper. Had a reading of 30 CYA, I guess because of the rains, had to add 14 oz. conditioner. pH has been holding steady at 0.8 and 0.7.

pH has been holding steady at 0.8 and 0.7.

I've been following your thread just about every day, Hayseed. Looks like you've been having some headaches with the install but I think it'll be really nice once you're running it over the next couple of months. I'm excited to see how you decorate the place!! LOL

Regarding your tests though..... Usually we see pH numbers slightly over 6.5 but also under 8.5. Like around 6.8 or 7.4 or 7.8 so let's check to make sure you're reading the meter correctly.

Once you put your pool water in and you've dropped five drops of reagent into the tube, you shake it up for a few seconds and look at the color on the side of the container. Just try to match the color as best as possible. Like, for this example I've attached below, the pool water is really too light of a color to call it 7.2 but it's really just a little bit darker than I would consider to be 7.8 so in this example, I would call it a pH of 7.5. Next time you run the pH test, just try to match the color as best as you can and read the number on the left side of your pool water. That is your test result.

pH_test.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.