Abandoned Pool - Suggestions Please

Pool Depth - The Novel

If I may jump in, I second the concurrence of the ~45k pool volume estimate. Actually, that's probably high. I say that because, while I have many other things I probably should be doing/have done, I decided instead to take this pool volume question as a challenge, and spent the past few too many hours trying to figure out how to accurately deterimine said volume.

For the tl;dr crowd: only 38,224 total gallons

For those with nothing better to do or live for other than to read the wild ramblings of a mad man, read on!

To begin, with any complex problem, the first step is to break down the problem into smaller pieces. In this case, the difficult part is determining the volume of the "deep" end. And even then, just the pyramid part below the base of the block wall.

Because pics say so much, here is a drawing I created using some sophisticated architectural cad/cam software known as mspaint:

abandoned_pool_size.jpg

The overall measurements, besides those provided in an earlier post, were determined by counting cinder-blocks. It's a little tedious, but accurate. Because, including the morter between them, on average, cinder-blocks are 8" high x 16" long. So, that is the "unit" I used for "measuring" the pool (along with a couple of off-the-cuff-ball-park-gestimations for the depth of the deep end).

Anyway, on to those measurements...

For starters, the cinder-block walls are only 4 blocks high, or 32 inches, ignoring the deck / coping. And the maintained water level will probably be a few inches lower, so the skimmer can skim. So, keeping the estimate a little high, let's say 30 inches (2.5 ft) for the effective water height of the block wall.

Now, for the width, I count 18.5 blocks, which comes to 24.666666667 feet, give or take a few atoms.

For the length, I was unable to find a pic that clearly showed countable blocks for the entire length. So, we'll use the 50' value provided in an earlier post, which is 37.5 blocks. However, I was able to count the number of blocks along the length of the sloping part of the pool bottom: 24 blocks, or 32 feet.

Now, let's get an easy part out of the way, and calculate just the 2.5' depth for the entire pool:

50' x 24.6667' x 2.5'
~= 3083.33 cubic feet
x 7.4805 (gallons per cubic foot)
========
~= 23,065 gallons.

Now for the steps, we'll take 1/2 (the L x W of the steps x the 2.5' water depth):
1/2 x (5.5 blocks) x 6' (per earlier post) x (2.5' depth)
= 1/2 x 7' 4" x 6' x 2.5'
= 55 cubic feet
========
~= 411 gallons

Now for the "hard" part - the "bowl". Fortunatly, said "bowl" appears somewhat centered in the "deep" end. And IMNSHO, it is no more than 8 feet deep from the pool "surface". But, I'll round to 8 feet from the base of the wall for the next part ('cause that's what I've already drawn in the pic above...).

Ignoring curves etc, the afformentioned bowl of the deep end is basically an inverted pyramid. And the formula for the volume of a pyramid is (I looked it up):

1/3 x (Area of the base) x height

And remember, for the height, we're just measuring from the base of the block wall to the bottom of the deep - our "gestimated" 8 feet.

So: 1/3 x (32 x 24.666667) x 8
= 1/3 x (739.33333) x 8
~= 1971.6 cubic feet
x 7.4805
========
~= 14,748 gallons in the "inverted pyramid" of the deep.

Also note that the pool's actual bottom doesn't go all the way to the "tip" of the pyramid, so that calculation may be a little high. Although, water in all the pipes may make up for that difference, so we'll just assume it does!

And now, (drum roll.....) for the Grand Total:

23,065 + 14,748 + 411 = 38,224 total gallons!

If you get a better measurement of the depth of the bowl *from the base of the wall*, just plug it into the variable D in the following simplified formula for a new estimate:

( 1843.5 x D ) + 23065 + 411

As a final note, all of the above assumes that various assumptions assumed reasonable assumptions.

Hope that helps!

PS: Did your cat photo-bomb one of the pics with the diving board? Or was that an intentional portrait? Either way, good shot!

Attachments

• abandoned_pool_size.jpg
    abandoned_pool_size.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 364
Re: Pool Depth - The Novel

Those are some mighty fine measurements Self Evident! If the water level does turn to to be 2 1/2 feet at the shallow end the water will be mighty warm for that part of the country. Oh well just hang out in the deep end on a float and all will be well.

If I may jump in, I second the concurrence of the ~45k pool volume estimate. Actually, that's probably high. I say that because, while I have many other things I probably should be doing/have done, I decided instead to take this pool volume question as a challenge, and spent the past few too many hours trying to figure out how to accurately deterimine said volume.

For the tl;dr crowd: only 38,224 total gallons

For those with nothing better to do or live for other than to read the wild ramblings of a mad man, read on!

To begin, with any complex problem, the first step is to break down the problem into smaller pieces. In this case, the difficult part is determining the volume of the "deep" end. And even then, just the pyramid part below the base of the block wall.

Because pics say so much, here is a drawing I created using some sophisticated architectural cad/cam software known as mspaint:

View attachment 83099

The overall measurements, besides those provided in an earlier post, were determined by counting cinder-blocks. It's a little tedious, but accurate. Because, including the morter between them, on average, cinder-blocks are 8" high x 16" long. So, that is the "unit" I used for "measuring" the pool (along with a couple of off-the-cuff-ball-park-gestimations for the depth of the deep end).

Anyway, on to those measurements...

For starters, the cinder-block walls are only 4 blocks high, or 32 inches, ignoring the deck / coping. And the maintained water level will probably be a few inches lower, so the skimmer can skim. So, keeping the estimate a little high, let's say 30 inches (2.5 ft) for the effective water height of the block wall.

Now, for the width, I count 18.5 blocks, which comes to 24.666666667 feet, give or take a few atoms.

For the length, I was unable to find a pic that clearly showed countable blocks for the entire length. So, we'll use the 50' value provided in an earlier post, which is 37.5 blocks. However, I was able to count the number of blocks along the length of the sloping part of the pool bottom: 24 blocks, or 32 feet.

Now, let's get an easy part out of the way, and calculate just the 2.5' depth for the entire pool:

50' x 24.6667' x 2.5'
~= 3083.33 cubic feet
========
~= 23,065 gallons.

Now for the steps, we'll take 1/2 (the L x W of the steps x the 2.5' water depth):
1/2 x (5.5 blocks) x 6' (per earlier post) x (2.5' depth)
= 1/2 x 7' 4" x 6' x 2.5'
= 55 cubic feet
========
~= 411 gallons

Now for the "hard" part - the "bowl". Fortunatly, said "bowl" appears somewhat centered in the "deep" end. And IMNSHO, it is no more than 8 feet deep from the pool "surface". But, I'll round to 8 feet from the base of the wall for the next part ('cause that's what I've already drawn in the pic above...).

Ignoring curves etc, the afformentioned bowl of the deep end is basically an inverted pyramid. And the formula for the volume of a pyramid is (I looked it up):

1/3 x (Area of the base) x height

And remember, for the height, we're just measuring from the base of the block wall to the bottom of the deep - our "gestimated" 8 feet.

So: 1/3 x (32 x 24.666667) x 8
= 1/3 x (739.33333) x 8
~= 1971.6 cubic feet
x 7.4805
========
~= 14,748 gallons in the "inverted pyramid" of the deep.

Also note that the pool's actual bottom doesn't go all the way to the "tip" of the pyramid, so that calculation may be a little high. Although, water in all the pipes may make up for that difference, so we'll just assume it does!

And now, (drum roll.....) for the Grand Total:

23,065 + 14,748 + 411 = 38,224 total gallons!

If you get a better measurement of the depth of the bowl *from the base of the wall*, just plug it into the variable D in the following simplified formula for a new estimate:

( 1843.5 x D ) + 23065 + 411

As a final note, all of the above assumes that various assumptions assumed reasonable assumptions.

Hope that helps!

PS: Did your cat photo-bomb one of the pics with the diving board? Or was that an intentional portrait? Either way, good shot!

Wow! Good job. I used the same general concepts to get my estimate, but without near as much detail or time spent. It looked to me that the floor in the shallow portion sloped away from the walls some, so I assumed a 3' depth there even though it's only 28-30" water depth at the edges. I can't remember what depth I assumed for the pyramid, but I think it was similar or slightly less. I also rounded up to account for the curves in the bowl/pyramid and the steps. I think before rounding up I was at ~42k gal using my slightly different assumptions. Looking again, I don't think the shallow portion slopes down as much as I'd assumed, and the curved portions inside the pyramid are likely similar in volume to those outside of it, so your estimate is likely closer.

If they can turn that giant hole into a functioning pool for $8K, that'd be the deal of the century. It'd be a deal at twice that.

They are coming out next week for a walk through and measurements to get a firm quote . . . let's see how close it is to the phone quote.

If I may jump in, I second the concurrence of the ~45k pool volume estimate. Actually, that's probably high. I say that because, while I have many other things I probably should be doing/have done, I decided instead to take this pool volume question as a challenge, and spent the past few too many hours trying to figure out how to accurately determine said volume.

Hope that helps!

Wow . . . just wow - My husband was trying to give me a geometry / volume calculation lesson yesterday (he had the same pyramid theory as you), but I just glazed over. I did find a worksheet and will be doing more measuring today - and Pool Company coming out next week for measurements.

Yes, our animals tend to follow us wherever we go; to supervise. I believe that cat is Shelby - she's one of our feral cats, yet she follows us around the property - just keeps a distance. I think there's also a photo where a dogs head gets in there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

My husband was trying to give me a geometry / volume calculation lesson yesterday (he had the same pyramid theory as you), but I just glazed over. I did find a worksheet and will be doing more measuring today - and Pool Company coming out next week for measurements.

Well, I'll be able to help you get a very accurate volume number come fill time (using a flow meter). But that doesn't solve for estimating the volume now, so that you can properly plan for the equipment. That's means math. Great job by Self Evident. He just needs a few numbers from you to finish his calc's. Then you can compare that to your worksheet to the Pool Company's estimate. Should get pretty close with an average of all those!

Fortunately, as long as you're close, it won't hurt to overbuild a little. Bigger SWGs and bigger filters will last longer and need less maintenance, so you can't really go too wrong there. If you get a variable speed pump (or two?), you just dial them in as needed to optimize energy efficiency. The only mistake would be to go too small on something, so size up.

I like Dirk's idea of touching base with the mega backyard pool owners. Schadenfreude hasn't been on the board since February, although it would be worth sending him a PM (some people leave their settings to give them a notification for Pm's).

Here is another big pool. It's a little larger than your estimated size, but might give you some ideas. The pool owner was here in June, a month ago. Try sending him a PM, too.

New Build in West Houston Area - PB - Page 15

I like Dirk's idea of touching base with the mega backyard pool owners. Schadenfreude hasn't been on the board since February, although it would be worth sending him a PM (some people leave their settings to give them a notification for Pm's).

Here is another big pool. It's a little larger than your estimated size, but might give you some ideas. The pool owner was here in June, a month ago. Try sending him a PM, too.

New Build in West Houston Area - PB - Page 15

Wow, that is a big pool! Did he ever finish it? To advise on how the equipment is working, etc? You know you got a big pool when you have to get altitude just to take a picture of it!!

Wow, that is a big pool! Did he ever finish it? To advise on how the equipment is working, etc? You know you got a big pool when you have to get altitude just to take a picture of it!!

That's what I was thinking..... get reports on what he's happy with and not, etc. I didn't go through the end pictures, but unless he removed them, he did have post Hurricane Harvey pictures on the thread. We had watched the build from the beginning. It made me cry to see (or not see) the flood pictures of his pool and area. I believe his flooding was caused by releasing waters from a couple of dams/resevoirs. I may be wrong, but from his location and the pictures, it looked like it. Many people were flooded due to dam releases. Places not in the flood zones who had never flooded from other hurricanes and tropical storms. Heartbreaking.

Sorry to get off topic. My apologies, TW.

I just scanned a few of the last pages of this guy's thread. I'm going to shut up about my stupid acid-wash accident now...

No need to apologize, Suzfrom Texas. That pool was beautiful - so thankful their family made it out safe; things are things, people irreplaceable.

~ TW

Hi there TWAcres! Read through the thread this evening - looks like an interesting project. I can’t speak to the ins and outs of a vinyl liner as I’ have only seen gunite/plaster builds done in my neighborhood.

Equipment-wise... if the pool is in-fact around 42,000 gallons - I would feel pretty comfortable with a single equipment set.

Are you planning on heating the pool at all? If not, that will save you ~$4-$5k in equipment, gas line and install costs.

So from an operation cost perspective:

Electricity: I basically run 2 intelliflo VS pumps 24/7 at around 45gpm (90combined per the flow-vis meters) into 2 quad de 100 filters. It burns around 882 watts/hour for the pair, so it costs me roughly $0.07 an hour to run. So figure $51 a month of electricity.

Water: Roughly 5,000 gallons a month lost in evaporation @ $6/1,000. So figure $30 a month for water

Chemicals: Mainly Bleach... plus tablets when the CYA needs raising.... so 2 gallons of 10% bleach a day comes to $3.62/day. So figure $110 a month for chems.

So all told, about $190 a month during summer. Cut that in half in the winter.

If you got the same performance and had similar water and electricity rates and a cheap source for industrial bleach, I would say you could be somewhere in the $100-$120/month range in the summer.

On the equipment itself, I’ve been happy with the intelliflo VS + Pentair quad DE 100 filter. Low maintenance, easy to clean and efficient.

I don’t have experience with other solutions though so this is a very limited perspective.

If you can find a good industrial bleach source (find out who supplies the local water treatment plants):
I really like my 30 gallon Stenner/tank combo for sanitizing: Once I figured out the daily dosing, I just set the run time and it does its thing each evening. I just have to fill up the tanks about every 4 weeks. (2x30 gal)

67bd9794138701a63517744a59bc247c.jpg
2b635eb1e039f61fbeaa0cd8ed2ba1c7.jpg

For cleaning pool, I use dolphin M500, solar breeze NX2 (this also doubles as a tablet dispenser), and on occasion a 2” inch vacuum hose plus head. Seems to do the trick for us - keeping the pool clean and clear.

Hope this helps. Let me know if there is anything else I can share my experiences on.

Good luck - I’ am looking forward to seeing the progress on this build.

Great info, back_yard_lap_pool. Are both Stenner setups chlorine? Why two? Can you share why you went Stenner instead of SWG?

Are you running two completely independent setups, or do they share some plumbing? Your pic shows both injectors in the same pipe. Are those the chlorine injectors?

Did you have to go with the Intellitouch over EasyTouch because of the complexity of the "two of everything?"

Just looking to give the OP a sense of what they're in for... Any other pics to share? Would love to see the whole setup...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.