New Build KY

I add a few bags (2-5) per summer. Depending on how much the dogs swim (has become a lot now) because they drag gallons of water out each time they exit it seems, and how much rain we get where I didn't have the autocover closed. With an autocover, you will have the benefit of being able to keep unneeded rain out which will help with dilution of chemicals like salt and CYA. That has been beneficial this week as we've received 9" since Saturday. The BWI airport has logged 15" in the last week. Many are needed to pump out pools. Overflows are not always installed here. You won't need an overflow per se, because you have an overflow due to the autocover. In fact, you will lose water when you don't want to because it will splash over the lowered end wall. Just a fact of life with an autocover. The higher you keep the water, the quicker you will lose it over the wall. The lower you keep it, the more likely you are to have it get too low and have your pump sucking air if its on high. One of our skimmers is also 1/2" or more lower than the other, so the low one is the weak link so to speak.

More than you asked about but...

Why oh why didn’t I invest in a bug zapper sooner? I just bought and received my flowtron diplomat and hung it by the barn and it is going to town! Mosquito lure loaded too!

Many thanks to those on here who have discussed bug zappers because it’s how I even thought of it!

adf2ed3617ce9c0d193d91163429396c.jpg

regarding salt additions- In 7 years I've only had to add salt like twice, and no more than 2 bags at a time.

It seems some folks need it more often than others.

Maddie :flower:

You must squeegee yourselves off when you get out of the pool!

Yesterday’s progress was difficult to see in a photo but today steps are vermiculited (yea im a grammar Nazi and I know this is wrong). Deep end has concrete and vermiculite. Plumbing was done. I was at work so I didn’t get to take the photos and label underground like I wanted. I’m hoping son in law remembered I wanted pics. Gravel down to prepare for concrete on 2 sides. Looks like they are going to have to bring in a couple of loads of dirt to build up back end.

260293c7935477939f06e81bdd83375b.jpg

5c195fe9c67afaa65055cb960bfb0f17.jpg

Hazel says hello!

75e63c203c4d28deaee86a5073b206ba.jpg

54cc6090c4c1994ed85c78beda2fa559.jpg

The far side of the pool is going to have to have odd shaped decking. My main power comes in over that way. I wanted 12 feet concrete but can’t dig down over top of power line soooo. I’m going to have to get creative.

5c6382859e7c483265f85663f0478909.jpg

Also I am going to have to have a small retaining wall at shallow end of pool due to the fall of the land.

da1bc78008b2d893db0bb00a3e13ee93.jpg

It’s ok just a little more expense. I have had a pool full with mud because of a too short retaining wall. Not doing that again.

I’m also going to have to get creative to avoid erosion on the back side of the pool where they dig down to do the deep end where my land falls. I’ve got quit a hill of dirt. I do not want a retaining wall poured or otherwise. Poured will be ugly and the others are a pain if not done perfectly and expensive.

So I may end up with a big grass hill that someone not me will have fun mowing.

11fdd37bf1342abae21adbf1695fb71f.jpg

And finally the view from my house

d773de3c87a2a0376e1c4a24d0a38a6f.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
oh you know Kim and I gotta see pics of the puppies.... :kim: :flower: Pleasssssse?

Maddie :flower:

Thanks Maddie. I’m trying to decide how much to store. I hate going to town on my off time and always want supplies on hand. I guess I’ll see how much my pool wants over time and store a couple of bags until then.

There are many plants you could plant on the back of the pool that do not need to be mowed. Mondo grass is a purrfect example. Pretty, easy to care for, does not need to be mowed=SCORE!

The retaining wall will make for some wonderful seating and laying out areas. It can also be oh so pretty if done right as I know you will from the looks of your house!

Do you have your test kit yet? If not you need to get on that as it will not be long before you will need it!

Kim:kim:

There are many plants you could plant on the back of the pool that do not need to be mowed. Mondo grass is a purrfect example. Pretty, easy to care for, does not need to be mowed=SCORE!

The retaining wall will make for some wonderful seating and laying out areas. It can also be oh so pretty if done right as I know you will from the looks of your house!

Do you have your test kit yet? If not you need to get on that as it will not be long before you will need it!

Kim:kim:

I received the test kit a couple of weeks ago and have already tested my water! I used the tft test kit with my last pool. It’s the best! One of my favorite classes in undergrad was qualitative chemistry so it’s great fun. The speedstir makes it that much better. I also got the ph meter. I just need to calibrate it.

I thought about mondo grass but we would need a ton and a lot of weeding until it took off. But that’s a consideration.

I have a small hill by my barn with rip rap and thought about large river rock stones but that will also be a weed issue I think. It would look pretty though.

We had a monsoon (felt like one) last night so no pool work today As long as the wet stuff doesn’t fall from the sky they will resume tomorrow. On the flip side my grapes are happy [emoji2]

97dbcb3e317dc26014c29ebecdb2efd6.jpg

It’s looking like a pool! Auto cover box and coping installed, slide put together, met with electricians again. A plan is made for when they hit the water supply [emoji38]. Going to turn off water down at the meter and my plumber is on standby! The main electric is going to run from our barn to the pad and they have to cross 2 water lines.

I think the liner may be going in tomorrow or Friday. My daughter picked out the liner so I’m sure it will be great!

e26d3a3c22de8515388394d3e1775b3b.jpg

fb00ee08824732df5eb2f38f30546418.jpg

64985c766bd19c294c7ecd485807e0b2.jpg

5c597655298f25df310846abea7d66c5.jpg

f124bfd9df4c005c4ba43b8bf15fcbbb.jpg

7d6209f4dfd2e2948b945a3caa447202.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.