Alkalinity 140...to lower or not to lower???

Jun 18, 2018
Maine
Hi All...
Major pool water drama for the first time in 6 years...but after 95% drain and refill we're back in business. My numbers are all spot on (with the exception of alkalinity) and the pool is crystal clear and smells fresh and clean...hooray!!! The only number we're working on now is alkalinity. I've read on here that sometimes your TA can safely be slightly higher than the 60 to 120 range. I've also read on here that I shouldn't be trying to lower my TA "just to reach a target number". So am I ok with leaving my TA at 140 if I don't have any other issues with my water??? Or am I missing something? My ph is hanging within range 7.3 to 7.5. Thanks for your help!:D

TA will push your pH higher. But if it is not excessive, do not worry about it. Just test your pH each day or two and keep it in the 7's.

I wish I could get my pH to stay in your range! I check daily to every other day as my pH ALWAYS wants to shoot up to the 7.8 to 8 range which leads to the addition of MA to get it back down.

Due to the Texas summer heat I also have to add water at least once a week and my fill water has a high pH value of about 8 and CH of 100. Testing my fill water was/is a good thing...

If your PH is rising that quickly...have you considered adjusting TA? I started off with TA in the 150s this spring. Had to do a drain/refill to fix a patch. PH was constantly high then. Dropped TA to 70 over the course of several weeks. Now I very rarely add MA at all. Currently PH has held steady around 7.5ish for almost a 3 weeks now without any additional MA.

s_vidden all good stuff there! My TA has always been in the suggested target range of Pool Math (60-80) and Im currently at 70. I still have to add MA weekly as a minimum...

Perhaps some day I will figure it out but for now I just go with the flow and wait :)

If your PH is rising that quickly...have you considered adjusting TA? I started off with TA in the 150s this spring. Had to do a drain/refill to fix a patch. PH was constantly high then. Dropped TA to 70 over the course of several weeks. Now I very rarely add MA at all. Currently PH has held steady around 7.5ish for almost a 3 weeks now without any additional MA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.