Your thoughts on closing a bit ealry this year

rmclain73

Silver Supporter
May 18, 2013
Needham, MA
I know its still early in July but I am trying to plan ahead and would like some input from others on this board. I usually close my pool around Oct 5th -10th. This year my wife and I will be traveling to Italy the last two weeks of September. Usually by the last week of September I have trees that are already dropping leaves, the pool water takes longer to heat up, and the daily maintenance becomes more involved. The latest we have swam in the past is the last few days in Sept. It then takes about a week for the pool temp to drop into the 50s and then close. I am wondering if I should just close around Sept 12th just prior to leaving for our trip. I know that the water will not be in the 50s, but I fear that being gone for the last two weeks of September will be a bear to come back to only to close it a week later. If it were you, what would you do? I don't really have anyone that could come by often enough to keep the junk out of it. Also no one will really be using it while we are gone so the meter will just be running. The only option I can think of would be put the winter cover on, but keep the filter going. Then take the cover off when I get back and do a proper close. However even that seems like extra steps. I just worry about opening to a mess in the Spring. I do open as early as I can.

While I don't typically close in my area, if it were me, I'd bump it up to SLAM level, drop a floater in the water with some tabs, cover it, and take care of final winterization when I got back. I'd feel more comfortable waiting as long as I could to close to make next year's opening that much better.

Many folks in the Northeast only run their pools from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Lots of pools start getting closed after Labor Day.

My regular routine is to put the cover on when the leaves start to fall. I leave the pump hooked up and run 2 hrs a day. I wait for the water temp to drop below 60 degrees before I blow the lines and pull the pump. That’s usually late October. I keep an eye on the chlorine and shock it the day before I pull the pump.

I had the same dilemma last year (also went to Italy the last 2 weeks in Sept). I also live in Mass. I kept the pool running and just put the winter cover on. When I got back, I closed it 2nd week of October. The only extra work was putting on and taking off the cover an extra time. Small price to pay for not having to worry about the pool while I was in Italy.

Or close it and POLYQUAT 60. I usually close in Sept too. and add the POLY as insurance until water cools down. I have not opened to green mess, but you have to open early. I am usually Mothers Day.

We live Long Island NY. I close the pool early September and open end of May. 8 months! I asked this same question and thanks to all the high tec guys here said. Polyquat 60. I did the slam ran the pump for 3 days then added polyquat 60. Get that one - very important. I did add 3 tabs to a submarine that sat on bottom of pool. When I open the pool it looked sparkly. This part I added @@@@ I have two filters that I removed when adding poly 60. Ran the pump for 1 day and closed.

You can close your pool in the middle of September, but a lot has to do with the cover you are using. If you have a mesh cover, then after closing the pool, go out and purchase very inexpensive tarps that match your cover. Consider you have 14' * 28' Kidney, you can get away with covering the pool with a solid cover. Tie securely and leave areas open so water can drain in the pool. Come towards the end of November, you remove the tarps or leave on. This will help a lot, even with keeping leaves and debris off your cover.

Open up as early as possible next year. It only takes about an hour a day to keep the pool clean (pump running). Can you please advise if you have a solid tarp, mesh safety cover or mesh solid cover. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Are you not afraid of staining on the liner with 3" tablets? Are they floating in the water or sitting on the floor bottom?
Sitting on the floor. There are 3 tabs in it. It does start to float up when there are 1/2 way dissolve. We have two bottom drains and over the years it did turn color but I think that’s because I use to leave those drains open - when running the pump. Now I close them to get better suction at skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.