in-floor cleaners versus other types

Anyone know a good PB in Austin? I’m looking to have someone ‘oversee’ the plan to remove the infloor and make sure hydraulics are in good shape with the reconfiguration that will be done. My current PB is happy to listen to additional thoughts on making this work as if in floor was never installed.

Athena Pools - stellar outfit.
Perhaps you can hire them for a paid consult.

It's perfectly ok for each of us to have a personal opinion as to which cleaning system you prefer, but to say one system is the "stupidest design ever" reveals either a strong one sided bias or a lack of knowledge. Either way, I feel that its counter productive to a meaningful discussion.

Ok, I’ve posted this in plumbing too but thought I’d update this thread. Also updated my Austin build thread.

Attached is his plan for the returns. He will be removing pipe heads for the in floor and covering them up well with hydro concrete/cement.

Would appreciate any feedback on this new plan and anything we may want to add and/or do.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 80366B37-1946-4077-9404-3FF70EEDFE65.jpg
    80366B37-1946-4077-9404-3FF70EEDFE65.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 81
Is there a resource that describes the science behind return placement? In my pool, they are located, and aimed with eyeballs, in such a way to create a circular current, clockwise in my pool. I believe this helps in dragging surface stuff past the skimmer opening, where it can be captured. And I imagine it helps circulate the bottom areas, too, much like stirring a glass of water.

Is that how your return system will work? If not, should it?

Sorry, can only pose questions. I have no answers, especially given the shape of your pool (mine is all curves and lends itself to a circular current).

Bevo, looking at your updated drawing, as the Dirk master said, you need to figure out where to place those eyeball returns so you can get a good swirl in the pool.
Imo, the one on the far right next to the skimmer needs to be moved to the patio wall. The one on your tanning ledge needs to be moved to the left side of the ledge so it can be aimed towards the right skimmer.
With all those sharp angles in your pool, you’ll want to make it hard for debris to collect in those corners. Just my 2.

:edit: And in my plan the swirl is going counterclockwise.

^^^ Yep, something like that there. ^^^

- - - Updated - - -

I would think that each return needs to point at the next one in line, to reinforce the current. Any pointing otherwise will just put the brakes on the motion.

Please qualify the above. Thank you.

First, it increases chance for leaks, harder to open and close pool. If they are broken, very hard to fix. You can use the money to buy a pretty decent robotic cleaner, which is much easier to maintain, much better for cleaning.

I have these in floor cleaner, but almost useless, because I have the variable speed pool pump. Most time I have it run at low speed and the cleaners won’t pop up at all. I personally feel they are useless but no way to get rid of them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.