in-floor cleaners versus other types

SwimmingBevo

Gold Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
Austin, Texas
I have a build going on in Austin. I found out they are installing and infloor cleaner. My only concern was the number of small drains/spouts I would see.

There are two on every step and several throughout the pool. Attached are an image of pool and image of the spout/drain and pool coating we chose.

Questions:

1. Will I be ok with this type of system and what it looks like in the pool?
2. Should I be considering any other type of system? The pool builder is happy to change if I would like somehting else.

Appreciate any thoughts!
IMG_2135.jpg

IMG_2130.jpg

When they work, they are wonderful. When they don't, they are frustrating.

Many on the forum use robots. Cleans the pool without having to run the pump. So significant electric cost savings. An in-floor needs higher pump rates.

I do know that A&A is mentioned often for in-floor cleaners. It is imperative that they design the system for it to work properly.

Take care

I'm Very happy with my A&A Venturi pop-up cleaners. They run well on much lower rpms than older designs. We've had our pool running just over a year now, and I've never had to vacuum or brush for dirt or debris. It's nice to have a perfectly clean pool without anything in it, ie: robots, hoses etc.

Most here will tell you not to use them, but we like ours.

Also it depends on your environment and what kinds of debris needs removal. In PHX, sand and dirt with a few leaves and bugs here and there are no problem for our system.

They do cost a lot in extra plumbing and equipment. So normally you would save a bunch by not using these systems, but it looks like you are already plumbed, so not sure how much it would save you. Good luck.

P.S. as far as warranty, A&A has lifetime warranty on all popups, and water actuated valve parts for original owner.

My mother's pool is 32 years old and has had many free replacement parts over the years when they wear out.

When they work, they are wonderful. When they don't, they are frustrating.

Many on the forum use robots. Cleans the pool without having to run the pump. So significant electric cost savings. An in-floor needs higher pump rates.

I do know that A&A is mentioned often for in-floor cleaners. It is imperative that they design the system for it to work properly.

Take care

Thanks for this thought. Do you plug your robot in and how often? Also, does it do stairs, benches and tanning areas? IF not, what do you do for those?

I've got 24 pop-ups in the pool and 5 in the spa. They are charcoal grey, the legacy color, in our 1 year new Tahoe Blue Quartzscape. For us they look fine and don't ruin the look of the pool. But I think that is largely a personal kind of viewpoint, i.e. to each his own. Your grey-on-grey should be disguised better than ours.

As far as whether or not to have an in-floor system, after having one the past ~4 years, I would probably not install one in a new build, but get a robot instead, as Marty suggested. However, since yours is already plumbed, I agree with MG above that there may not be any credit or money back from your PB to make it worth it to abandon it. He probably hasn't installed the valve controller yet, but that is not a large part of the cost.
Added: I forgot that you would save the cost of popups if you abandon this, which in your pool looks like about $1500 worth depending on PB markup. Plus $500 or so for the valve. So abandoning may have some financial benefit.

Your pool looks like it may be a Sports/Play pool, i.e. not a traditional shallow end and deep end. Is that right? If yes, I will add a few comments about that since that is also my configuration. I know there is a user on here who feels that in-floor systems don't clean well in Play Pools. I don't agree or disagree with his viewpoint. For me, the jury is still out on that.

Summary:

Disadvantage - have to run high pump speed (cost) for cleaning to work
Hit/Miss - some systems in some pools work better than others; in other words, your mileage may vary
Advantage - better circulation, particularly when heating the water (not sure how much you heat your water in Austin)

Last edited:
I'm Very happy with my A&A Venturi pop-up cleaners. They run well on much lower rpms than older designs. We've had our pool running just over a year now, and I've never had to vacuum or brush for dirt or debris. It's nice to have a perfectly clean pool without anything in it, ie: robots, hoses etc.

Most here will tell you not to use them, but we like ours.

Also it depends on your environment and what kinds of debris needs removal. In PHX, sand and dirt with a few leaves and bugs here and there are no problem for our system.

They do cost a lot in extra plumbing and equipment. So normally you would save a bunch by not using these systems, but it looks like you are already plumbed, so not sure how much it would save you. Good luck.

P.S. as far as warranty, A&A has lifetime warranty on all popups, and water actuated valve parts for original owner.

My mother's pool is 32 years old and has had many free replacement parts over the years when they wear out.

Appreciate your comments on this. I assume most use the robot because it's easier to use and less chances for not working? As mentioend one of my concerns is the number of these in the pool and on the stairs, it might bug me to see these but they may go away once everything is done and water is in the pool and I may not worry about it? Thanks again for your comments.

Thanks for this thought. Do you plug your robot in and how often? Also, does it do stairs, benches and tanning areas? IF not, what do you do for those?

I leave the robot in the pool and it runs every other day.

It does stairs and walls. It needs 10" of water depth to operate. I have areas it does not get too. Right now, it does not matter as we swim every day (most times multiple times per day) so all areas are moved around pretty good and stuff gets onto the floor for the robot.

In the winter I will need to brush a bit more.

SB,

If you had asked me before you had the pool built I would have recommend not adding an in-floor system..

Now, in my opinion it is a little late... I would go ahead with the installation. The heads will be flush with the plaster and should not be in the way at all.

Keep in mind that they have a lifetime warranty for a reason.... :cool:

Thanks,

Jim R.

SB,

If you had asked me before you had the pool built I would have recommend not adding an in-floor system..

Now, in my opinion it is a little late... I would go ahead with the installation. The heads will be flush with the plaster and should not be in the way at all.

Keep in mind that they have a lifetime warranty for a reason.... :cool:

Thanks,

Jim R.

I’m on mobile and thought my reply went through. My pool builder is a good guy and he would do whatever I wanted including capping and redoing the hydraulics at no additional cost. No equipment has been purchased yet. So with that knowledge it sounds like you would robot?

- - - Updated - - -

I had posted my specs in another thread on this board a year ago and no one saw the in floor...so he knows I was not totally aware of what it would look like or how it would function. Hence why is will work through cost with me if we don’t do this.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
SB.

I have three pools that all have robots... I love them...

On the other hand they are not set and forget units like the in-floor system is. I put my robot in the pool at my house about every two to four days just depending on how things look. I generally put it in let it run and then take it out when done or the next morning. I do this just because I don't like looking at it in the pool... :p

Robots are not going to do those steps... maybe the bottom one...

You do have to clean the filters in the robot and you can't set it to work for more than a week. If you are the type of pool owner that is gone a lot, or only wants to use the pool, but not maintain a pool, then a robot is not the best option for you.

What kind of pool owner do you think you will be?

Thanks,

Jim R.

SB.

I have three pools that all have robots... I love them...

On the other hand they are not set and forget units like the in-floor system is. I put my robot in the pool at my house about every two to four days just depending on how things look. I generally put it in let it run and then take it out when done or the next morning. I do this just because I don't like looking at it in the pool... :p

Robots are not going to do those steps... maybe the bottom one...

You do have to clean the filters in the robot and you can't set it to work for more than a week. If you are the type of pool owner that is gone a lot, or only wants to use the pool, but not maintain a pool, then a robot is not the best option for you.

What kind of pool owner do you think you will be?

Thanks,

Jim R.

i think I’m probably I want to swim/play and have a pool company maintain.

a friend with infinity says he does not have in floor or robot and just uses pool co.

Is is that enough?

i think I’m probably I want to swim/play and have a pool company maintain.

a friend with infinity says he does not have in floor or robot and just uses pool co.

Is is that enough?

Really depends on what the pool company offers and what you want to spend. Getting once a week service may be fine for you but balancing chemistry and keeping the pool clean don't really work so well on a once a week schedule. Chemistry can go off in a couple of days and a storm or other conditions may require off-schedule cleaning.

Using a robot is pretty effortless and requires a commitment of maybe five minutes (if you take the robot out after each use), or if you leave it in all the time, then maybe a couple of minutes every few days to clean the basket.

I have a build going on in Austin. I found out they are installing and infloor cleaner. My only concern was the number of small drains/spouts I would see.

There are two on every step and several throughout the pool. Attached are an image of pool and image of the spout/drain and pool coating we chose.

Questions:

1. Will I be ok with this type of system and what it looks like in the pool?
2. Should I be considering any other type of system? The pool builder is happy to change if I would like somehting else.

Appreciate any thoughts!
View attachment 81373

View attachment 81374

Read this thread here. https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/147191-In-floor-cleaning-Worth-the-money

Ok, my PB has agreed to redo my system and hydraulics. I’ve read more cons especially for same depth pools...it wasn’t that way when we started and I changed it during the dig.

For Pool builders on this board...how hard will it be for him to get this to a non in floor system? He says he will have to do some demolition work but has been a really good guy and feels bad he never explained this to me in order to research etc...

i will I’ll lean towards a robot now...should I add a suction too in case?

appeciate the thoughts.

Here’s my 2 cents on a suction side port. I have one, and my vac bot lives in the pool when we’re not in it. If I was building a pool from scratch would I add one? Most likely.
I know others on here (as I type this I guarantee Dirks hair is standing up on the back of his neck) would disagree with me as they DO pose a potential hazard if not properly looked after.
With that being said. If you have little kids that will be using your pool, then no, don’t install one, stick with the robot.
Now again, for ME, I like being able to toss my vac bot in the pool and it’s doing its thing whenever I’m away. It’s just me and the wife, so no little kids in the pool. And it also acts as a back up water source for my pump, should the skimmer ever get plugged. (My main drains are plugged as well)
When my aquabot dies, I’ll probably grab a robot vac from there on.
Just my 2 cents.
~Rob

What? Who me? If I was building a pool, I would include a suction port. They can be made 100% safe if you decide you don't want to use it (just remove the "safety" flap and thread in a plug). They don't even have to be plumbed in at the pad until later, if you choose. But maybe you'll want one down the road and you can't add one later. Let the robot vs in-floor vs vac debate rage on! Put in the port and run the pipe and have it if you ever need it.

Have had an AA in floor for 9 years, works flawlessly. Advantages, excellent circulation as well, nothing to charge, put in, take out, or leave in, no parts to replace or clean. Disadvantages, pump has to run at a higher RPM, and occasionally one will step on a popped up head, but it just continues to work. There are plenty of threads concerning problems with other cleaners; I guess it is an owner’s preference.

Anyone know a good PB in Austin? I’m looking to have someone ‘oversee’ the plan to remove the infloor and make sure hydraulics are in good shape with the reconfiguration that will be done. My current PB is happy to listen to additional thoughts on making this work as if in floor was never installed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.