Help: Pump wont fill/hold prime??

Avitron

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Jun 21, 2018
Woodbury, MN
New home and pool owner! Everything has been working fine the past few weeks. Today I went to clean the pump filter basket, followed the usual routine, but for some reason I turned the valve that connects the pump to the filter drum off (hadn't done that before), and water flowed back through the pump and I thought nothing of it. Replaced filter basket with lid and noticed that when I turned on the pump and opened suction valves, the water level in the pump would not rise up and the basket would not fill with water. Figured it had to be a priming issue, so I tried priming (with main drain valve closed and skimmers open; cleaned out both skimmer baskets) it by filling the pump basket with a water hose, then a bucket full of water, but the water level in the pump basket would not stay full. I noticed that air bubbles were coming out of the main line when I filled with water. Do I have an air leak somewhere or do I just need to keep filling until those air bubbles stop?? Dreading having to call professionals out tomorrow. As an additional question - should I leave the pump off for the night??
Many thanks in advance for your help.

A,

The reason the pump will not stay full of water is the same reason that you don't fly off the earth and into outer space... It is called Gravity... :p

The water level in your pool is lower than the pump so as you pour water into the pump it is simple running downhill and into your pool.

If your pump was working fine before you cleaned the pump basket, then the most likely reason your pump will not prime now is that the pump lid O-Ring is leaking air.. Maybe because it is not lubed, damaged, missing or the lid is just not tight. Are all the valves turned like they were before you cleaned the pump basket???

Look at those things and tell us what you find..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim,
I guess I need to go back to high school physics! Good point re: gravity. As for the pump lid O-ring, I took a close look and it looks fine, I lubed it, looks like it’s getting a good seal but the pump basket water level is just not rising and I can’t seem to get any water into the filter tank! A picture is attached in case that would help.5C6C334B-C82E-426B-BF6F-98B5F9F30DFA.jpg

A,

I'd want to make sure that all the valves in front of the pump are open... How can you tell? On the other hand at least one must be open as proven by gravity... :p

Make sure all those unions in front of the pump are tight.

Make sure the water level is up to the middle of the skimmer and that the weir doors are working...

What valve are you talking about when you said.. "but for some reason I turned the valve that connects the pump to the filter drum off (hadn't done that before),..."???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Do you guys have an award for stupidest pool owner? I’d like to submit my name
in the running. :p
The valve in question was the one circled in red below, it goes from the pump to the filter tank. For some inexplicable reason I closed it but never reopened it. Just popped it back open, thanks to Jim calling my attention back to it, problem solved.
Sorry to waste everyone’s time, but at least I learned a lot about priming!
7148D48E-066F-42A0-8D80-222FC033CA0F.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.