How many purges does it take?

I've had hot tub for a year and did not know about purging from go. We've got a serious biofilm issue and I've been doing purges with ahhsome. I will drain refill several times then start feeling guilty for draining the aquphor I'll get to point I balance and we can go about a month before one of us get the itch. So this time I'm vested and committed and I've lost count but if I had to guess I'd say I'm in purge 9 or 10. It's gone from green to brown to black to yellow film. Here is what throws me off. ...I'll run it for half day or so and wipe down sides and it gets to point nothing else is coming out. UNTIL I drain and do process over then it's a whole other level of nasties. Anyone have many purges and when do you know it's OK to stop? We have learned a lot from this thread, many articles and I've even talked to gerry at ahhsome. Is there a color that means your at the end?
Water is expensive and precious but I'm willing to get it completely out if anyone knows more to help I would greatly appreciate
Molly

I've had hot tub for a year and did not know about purging from go. We've got a serious biofilm issue and I've been doing purges with ahhsome. I will drain refill several times then start feeling guilty for draining the aquphor I'll get to point I balance and we can go about a month before one of us get the itch. So this time I'm vested and committed and I've lost count but if I had to guess I'd say I'm in purge 9 or 10. It's gone from green to brown to black to yellow film. Here is what throws me off. ...I'll run it for half day or so and wipe down sides and it gets to point nothing else is coming out. UNTIL I drain and do process over then it's a whole other level of nasties. Anyone have many purges and when do you know it's OK to stop? We have learned a lot from this thread, many articles and I've even talked to gerry at ahhsome. Is there a color that means your at the end?
Water is expensive and precious but I'm willing to get it completely out if anyone knows more to help I would greatly appreciate
Molly

Hi Molly: Yes, I do remember speaking with you a while back. So sorry that it is taking so many purges to rid the plumbing of the build-up. You ask a few very good questions. First, how many purges will it take to get ll the gunk out? Answer, I don't know. However, in most very tough cases, as yours seems to be, we have had numerous hot tub owners that have purged 12-15 times before finally seeing big progress. I recommend that you keep at it and use only half the amount of the gel for these additional purges and not the full dose. Be sure to get the water warm or hot as well when you add the gel for best results. Run the pump intermittently so the flow starts and stops. A minute on, 20 seconds off 5 or 6 times during each purge.

Your second question, color of the gunk? In most cases the easiest stuff to get out will be the brown/black stuff. Next will come the yellow/green gunk. Be sure to soak the filter(s) inside the purge foaming to get all the nasties out from deep within the pleats. Again, I know this can be very frustrating. Remember this: After you are successful in getting your plumbing and jets free of whatever is in there you will be rewarded with the clearest water ever without maintenance hassles. Please contact me again at my office so we can discuss your situation in detail.

Thanks for reply, you've been great help and love the product just wish I knew what I know now back then. Last 3 refills are producing yellow goo that has been the most consistent. I'll keep at it and keep you posted. I should have video this process. No doubt it would go viral lol

i really wish that your dealer and all hot tub dealers would take the time to purge brand new factory direct tubs before they place them in your yard. We have many dealers in North America that purge every single hot tub before delivery. Their businesses are growing big time because happy customers make great ambassadors. Unfortunately, most dealers won’t do this. They just deliver the contaminated tubs and hope for the best. Some actually still feel that sanitizer and good water balance will rid the tub of the biofilm. Sanitizers can only oxidize planktonic biofilm. Planktonic biofilm are the bits and pieces of the biofilm matrix, like plaque in our arteries, that breaks loose and flows into the tub. These are the brownish/black specks you may see. The major biofilm matrix and build-up cannot be eradicated by sanitizers. Too bad all dealers are not informed of this. We really try to educate but it usually falls on deaf ears. Consumers find out as you did a year later.

I going to call you tomorrow . I sucked a magic eraser into tub wiping sides. We took apart and got it out fine but refilled and it was as if I opened whole other level of biofilm. Funny thing is I can see most of tubing etc and it's clear as can be. No idea where this stuff is coming from. I'm so intrigued

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.