Slam my pool and it’s raining!

Closing it up may cause the CC to not dissipate, so you may see it spiked if you test immediately after opening it.

How much rain do you expect? An inch or two won't make much difference. The aeration caused by the rain hitting the surface may drive pH up a little, but that's about it.

I’m not sure how much it’s going rain. Rain water won’t mess up my pool water? I’ve always been told not to let it get in the pool. My water got really cloudy after I added the chlorine. How long does it usually take to clear? I was shooting for a FC level of 24 and when I tested it, it was 21. I added another jug based on pool math calculator.

I’m not sure how much it’s going rain. Rain water won’t mess up my pool water? I’ve always been told not to let it get in the pool. My water got really cloudy after I added the chlorine. How long does it usually take to clear? I was shooting for a FC level of 24 and when I tested it, it was 21. I added another jug based on pool math calculator.
Surface runoff into the pool is not good. Plain old rainwater that lands in the pool will have no CYA, no Calcium and no Alkalinity.

A typical SLAM takes about a week. If it's not too bad, less. If the pool is black and gooey, maybe two weeks. So what do you mean by cloudy? Was it clear and now it's cloudy, or was it green and now it's grey and cloudy, or what?

It was clear and then started to get cloudy. I can’t see the bottom anymore but it is not green or anything. We had been swimming in it and it seemed fine. My alkalinity is high and I’ve been working at bringing that down. My ph went down too as a result and when I brought that up things started to get cloudy again. I’ve been using the Taylor chemicals but only just got the fas/dpd test.

Pool is still cloudy but is a little better. I backwashed and lowered water by four inches and added new water. I’m still attempting to slam.
My current numbers are:
FC 18
CC 1.0
ph 7.2
TA 210
CYA 90

I don’t understand why CYA is high. I have only been using liquid chlorine.
I’ve been checking the levels frequently and I’ve brought the CC down from 1.5 to 1.0. Now am I supposed to add the amount of chlorine based on the cya/chlorine chart or the pool math calculator? They tell me different things. Do I wait to get CC down before I start working on TA? I’m using the FAS/DPD test.
Thank you for helping me.

CYA is added to the pool. Have you ever used pucks/tabs/trichlor, powdered shock called dichlor, or stabilizer/conditioner? All of those contain CYA.

I used them the first two summers and when I opened this year. But I switched to liquid chlorine at the end of May. On June 15 my cya was 45 and on June 20 it was 60. I just got two new bottles of the reagent so I’m going to try the other one and see if I still get a high reading.

I used them the first two summers and when I opened this year. But I switched to liquid chlorine at the end of May. On June 15 my cya was 45 and on June 20 it was 60. I just got two new bottles of the reagent so I’m going to try the other one and see if I still get a high reading.
Remember there's no shame in pouring the mixture back and forth between view tube and mixing bottle and taking multiple readings. For me, when I get three in a row within 5 of each other, that's my CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.