Is the control box for my Dolphin waterproof?

JimMarshall

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 5, 2017
Oil City PA
I added a Dolphin S50 to my pool cleaning Arsenal last week. Wondering if the control box is able to be exposed to water without concerns of damage?

for example, if I throw the robot in the pool before I leave for work and an hour later it starts to rain, am I at any risk of damage to the robot, etc?

Jim,

In theory it is water resistant, but I would not let it continually be out in the rain. Mine are all outside and exposed, but under the eve of the houses, so they don't get soaking wet. At one pool there was no protection, so I built a simple "dog" house to keep it dry...

Thanks,

Jim R.

They have gaskets for basic water resistance, yes. However water ingress on anything that is affected by electronics heat cycling is almost inevitable. Plus the socket for the amphenol plus isn't waterproof at all. Better safe than sorry, so don't leave it out if rain is in the forecast.

It’s occurred to me that when not using the robot, I store it in a large plastic tote underneath the deck..... I’ve realized that I can just hook it up and then use the same plastic tote as a “roof” overtop if it while in use

They have gaskets for basic water resistance, yes. However water ingress on anything that is affected by electronics heat cycling is almost inevitable. Plus the socket for the amphenol plus isn't waterproof at all. Better safe than sorry, so don't leave it out if rain is in the forecast.

I just took my controller apart as it was exposed to water. There is NO gasket whatsoever on my unit (less than a year old). The way it is designed it sure looks like there is supposed to be a gasket inside. They could have easily made this more water proof with a 25 cent rubber gasket.

My dolphin power unit has to replaced after my caddy blew over in a storm (cleaner was in the pool) and water intrusion occurred. I assume from the bottom in the case, but who knows. Since then the caddy stays bungee corded to my pergola and the power unit is under the caddy cover. I was pretty surprised that happened.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.