Very Confused!

Jun 18, 2018
Monroe, LA
Hey everyone! I'm brand new to TFP, and so far I really like it! My boyfriend and I recently starting renting a house with a pool. We both have no experience with pools and quickly learned how difficult it can be. We have brought water samples to 3 different pool stores and have gotten 3 different values and ranges. I know pool stores are the devil lol but we just needed somewhere to start. Our level are all out of wack! We have a pool kit on the way and are going to start doing tests ourselves. I'm all about this site because I like the fact I know what I'm putting in the pool and it's a huge money saver. However, my boyfriend may need some convincing.

My question is: how can all 3 different pool stores and TFP have such varying values for everything? For example, one pool store says cya should be 40-150 and the other says 40-100, whereas TFP says 30-50. I may be naive but shouldn't everyone be on the same page with values?? Thanks so much!!

CYA level dictates the FC level you need. See Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

High CYA alone is not a problem. But it makes keeping the required FC level difficult. Most pool stores don’t understand the relationship and let owners struggling to maintain high CYA pools. Or they dont want to tell customers that the pucks they are selling you are adding CYA and now you need to extensively drain your pool to lower CYA.

The fact that you got 3 different answers from 3 different pool stores should be enough convincing for me that I shouldn't trust them. Remember they are in the biz to keep you on the never ending circle of unneeded chemicals which lead to them telling you to drain the pool and start the circle over. They are masters at solving problems only they create. I've never worked at a pool store, but as I understand it they base some of their recommendations on archaic pool maintenance knowledge. From personal experience, I've been using TFP for 12+ years and it's been a breeze and have never had algae outbreaks during the swimming season or ever needed to do any of their "weekly shock" BS. You've properly taken the first step and gotten a test kit. When that comes in post up the full test results and we can see where you're at.

FC - Free Chlorine
CC - Combined Chlorine
pH
TA - Total Alkalinity
CH - Calcium Hardness
CYA - Cyanuric Acid (stabilizer)

My question is: how can all 3 different pool stores and TFP have such varying values for everything? For example, one pool store says cya should be 40-150 and the other says 40-100, whereas TFP says 30-50. I may be naive but shouldn't everyone be on the same page with values?? Thanks so much!!
You'd think so, wouldn't you? Where's the money in that?

I think it's part of their business model. Even in sunny California, they need to make most of their money between May and September. They sell you pucks that leave behind CYA and salt, and the weekly "shock" that leaves behind more CYA and salt, or Calcium and salt, and then who knows what in the way of miracle snake oil algaecides and clarifiers and so on, ka-ching ka-ching ka-ching, until your pool goes green. They they load you up with even more stuff and when it doesn't work, tell you there are too many total dissolved solids in the water -- mostly salt, CYA, and Calcium from the stuff they've been selling you -- so you need to drain and refill. And you'll want this pool start-up kit, ka-ching.

Go hang out outside the pool store on a Saturday morning. See the helpful clerks wheel large purchases out to the car for the now-impoverished customers. I've been in line at the cashier and seen people drop as much in one trip as I'll spend in a year. If my pool cost that much to maintain, it would be filled in.

You're doing well with a test kit. It will save you playing Wheel of Spend-a-fortune. And if you don't play, you won't need to buy that vowel.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks so much for all your responses! My kit finally came in. Here's my numbers:

PH- less than 6.8 (don't know the exact number)
TA- 30
CYA- over 100
FC- 10.5
CC- 0
CH- 120

I know our biggest problem is our CYA. We're considering draining the pool pending our landlords approval. We figured we'd need to drain roughly 15,000 gallons, refill and go from there. We inherited this pool, so we're thinking it's never been properly maintained. Do y'all think draining and starting over would be the best option? Thanks!

Thanks so much for all your responses! My kit finally came in. Here's my numbers:

PH- less than 6.8 (don't know the exact number)
TA- 30
CYA- over 100
FC- 10.5
CC- 0
CH- 120

I know our biggest problem is our CYA. We're considering draining the pool pending our landlords approval. We figured we'd need to drain roughly 15,000 gallons, refill and go from there. We inherited this pool, so we're thinking it's never been properly maintained. Do y'all think draining and starting over would be the best option? Thanks!
Yes. And if I were you, I'd repeat the CYA test using the dilution method Step 8 so you don't drain a bunch and then find out it's still not enough. You also do not want to drain below the first step, lest the liner shift.

Your PH is an issue too. Once you figure out how much you need to drain and do so, retest everything, and if PH is still that low we will work on it.

Add a box of baking soda - it will raise your PH and TA.

I've never drained my pool when my CYA got a little out of hand. Just stop adding any additional (use bleach). Here in PA, it's wet enough that I need to periodically lower the water so I get a little bit of drainage that way. Secondly, I've observed that CYA does drop over time. I know it's not supposed to but it does. Just stop adding CYA and get your PH in balance using baking soda until the PH gets to 7.5ish.

I've never drained my pool when my CYA got a little out of hand. Just stop adding any additional (use bleach). Here in PA, it's wet enough that I need to periodically lower the water so I get a little bit of drainage that way. Secondly, I've observed that CYA does drop over time. I know it's not supposed to but it does. Just stop adding CYA and get your PH in balance using baking soda until the PH gets to 7.5ish.

That works if you stop adding the CYA soon enough. But once you pass 70 or 80 ppm CYA, it gets difficult to manage. Not impossible, but difficult.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.