New build, two quotes, thoughts?

Given you are easily more of an expert than I am...
Don't bet on it. :) If I'm the only one on the whole forum who thinks your heater & filter look too small, then I'm probably not much of an expert.
i assume you are referring to the waterfront quote? Thanks for your input.
Yes, quote #2. You hadn't added the details of #1 when I replied.

Don't bet on it. :) If I'm the only one on the whole forum who thinks your heater & filter look too small, then I'm probably not much of an expert.
Yes, quote #2. You hadn't added the details of #1 when I replied.

I'm not an expert on this stuff, but trying to compare apples to apples, the top one looks better (especially if it's cheaper). I couldn't imagine not having a robot (intentional double negative). I can't vouch for the Polaris, but the Dolphin has been great for me. I would not own a pool without one.

I built a pool at my old house. I planned to stay there 15 years. Circumstances changed, and I had to move 4 years later. I made sure when I purchased my next house that it had a pool as I did not want to incur those costs again. Anyway, the cost of a pool build is market dependent, so I'm not going to comment on what is reasonable and what is not for where you are, because I do not know. However, some of those additions could be added after you put in a pool for much cheaper.

I learned the hard way that I was way overpaying for the extras (e.g., SWCG, VSP, etc.). For the VSP, you kind of have to deal with it because they have to install a pump, so you may as well get what you want. With that said, I purchased essentially the same VSP on Amazon that I had before for my new pool and paid a local company $150 to install. That cost me less than my "upgrade" from the base pump when I installed my first pool, wherein I learned I was paying full price for a pump and install without any credit on the base price for the pump I didn't get. Similarly, a SWCG can be purchased for around $500 (possibly cheaper, but you have a larger pool). The installation is simple. I'd never pay $2,500 for one knowing what I know now.

Again, these costs are a small percentage of the cost of the pool, but they add up.

I'm not an expert on this stuff, but trying to compare apples to apples, the top one looks better (especially if it's cheaper). I couldn't imagine not having a robot (intentional double negative). I can't vouch for the Polaris, but the Dolphin has been great for me. I would not own a pool without one.

I built a pool at my old house. I planned to stay there 15 years. Circumstances changed, and I had to move 4 years later. I made sure when I purchased my next house that it had a pool as I did not want to incur those costs again. Anyway, the cost of a pool build is market dependent, so I'm not going to comment on what is reasonable and what is not for where you are, because I do not know. However, some of those additions could be added after you put in a pool for much cheaper.

I learned the hard way that I was way overpaying for the extras (e.g., SWCG, VSP, etc.). For the VSP, you kind of have to deal with it because they have to install a pump, so you may as well get what you want. With that said, I purchased essentially the same VSP on Amazon that I had before for my new pool and paid a local company $150 to install. That cost me less than my "upgrade" from the base pump when I installed my first pool, wherein I learned I was paying full price for a pump and install without any credit on the base price for the pump I didn't get. Similarly, a SWCG can be purchased for around $500 (possibly cheaper, but you have a larger pool). The installation is simple. I'd never pay $2,500 for one knowing what I know now.

Again, these costs are a small percentage of the cost of the pool, but they add up.
Very informative, thank you for your thoughts on this. I did start looking at the aftermarket prices on some items and their is definitely an upsell there. Hmm.

Quick bump, happy to hear any additional thoughts particularly on the Thatcher build that I am likely to go with. Summary at this point:
1. Consider larger SWCG (60k rating if possible)
2. Consider larger heater
3. Consider adding some of the options after the build to save cost (swcg for instance)

Any additional thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to TFP, here’s a few thoughts/observations:

- Your build seems pretty basic like mine so I would consider dropping the Omnilogic as it’s probably overkill for what you need and go with the AquaPlus & AquaConnect that includes the T-15 salt cell and you’ll have control via tablet/smartphone. Likely about $1000 savings or more.
- Definitely a bigger heater go either 400 or 500 btu, especially in your northern climate.
- Definitely a bigger filter, I have the 310T2 and it’s easily big enough for 20X40 4’-8’ sized pool. Or go cartridge.
- Consider cement for the vinyl covered steps as the steel has a bounce/flex feel to it and feels hollow.
- Purchase the Robot on your own and you’ll like save several hundred $.
- Is electrical hookup included and also the gas hookup can be surprisingly expensive.
- Is decking included, get as much as you can afford so you’ll have plenty of sitting/gathering areas.
- Have a few outlets installed around the perimeter before decking goes in and also consider conduit for speaker wire if you’re into having music around the pool.
- If fencing is needed get several quotes as it can also be very expensive.
- Most important order the TF-100 or K2006c test kit so you can have a TFP!

Salty

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.