Iowa
Hello all,

checking some similar numbers....

TC. 0
pH. 8
TA. 150
total Hardness. 160-170
CYA. Zero.

Just opened this pool, been open for 4 days to super hot temps (air=100^ F avg. temp for all 4 days) and had one family/kid party.
Now, that’s all over and I wanted to arrive at, and maintain a TFP. I cannot get these numbers to parallel, even a little ( I mean TC of 0??) to those on poolmath. I will enter these in again, having the re-read the instructions. ?

Poolwater is clear but...

Hello,

TC. 0-.5 ppm (nill actually, barely yellow if at all)
TA. 150ppm
TH. 160ppm (calcium most likely?)
pH. 8.2 (at least)
CYA. Zero ( results were clearwater)
WaterTemp. 82 at current (nighttime)
HTH 6way drop test.
5,230 gals, AG, vinyl, and this...
We have well water but Filled with city water that had a strong chlorine smell the FD couldn’t smell)
Super hot for the 4days the pool has had water - the atmospheric avg temp is 100+
I’ve read through the poolschool sections on water chemistry and have a couple holes...

—> How do I get my FC if I only have TC. (Missing a variable due to the cheapo test I’m using perhaps??)

—> Added 32oz of granular 53%calhypo (shock) but still reads basically nill
...thought about oclt but it’s only been up 4 days so...gotta be the sun right? Which means I have to ADD CYA because of the supernatural loss of Cl but that seems troublesome...??? Like a beast let out of its cage? CYA only leaves with water loss.

Poolwater is clear, 2100gph intex sand filter/pump - good pressure and have backwashed and rinsed (as a combo task) once a day.
I wanted to know if it’s all to be expected (my numbers) or are they off??

Ok, i’m hitting the post button now, kinda nervous...

Last edited by a moderator:
Add 30 ppm CYA. Keep FC at 3 ppm as the lowest that occurs all day. Use Liquid chlorine to add FC.

Consider getting a proper test kit.

- - - Updated - - -

Adjust pH to 7.5 with muriatic acid.

I added your HTH 6 way kit to your siggy. With this kit you cannot measure anything other than TC. That is the biggest draw back. Then there is the fact it can only test up to 5 or 10 (I forget which one) for the TC.

If you smelled a big chlorine smell it was NOT the chlorine you smelled. It was the CC (bad guy). CC=Combined chlorine which is an intermediate breakdown product created in the process of sanitizing the water. CC causes the "chlorine" smell many people associate with chlorine pools/water.

Think of CYA as "sunscreen" for you FC in your pool. You do need some. Just control how much you put in. Shoot for 30 using the power CYA and we will go from there. Put the powder in a sock (like you wear) and walk around and squeeze it until it is all dissolved or have the kids do it!

I would start using liquid chlorine/bleach. It is cheaper and faster working. See if a pool store around you sells liquid chlorine. You might have to put a deposit down on the jugs but it would be worth it as they chlorine is stated to be 11% but mine is always higher so win-win. If not pool stores a close you can use the Walmart "pool shook". It is liquid chlorine said to be 10%. It is kept by the pool supplies.

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.