Deck ideas

If you could get true square drive deck screws id use those all day long. Short insanely expensive stainless screws there are no true square drive deck screws from the big box stores.

I think the torx drive are second best. And would use those over Philips or the combination Philips sqaure drive screws. Torx drive better and smoother with the 18/20v 1/4" impact drivers. A deck is a good excuse to get one of the DeWalt brushless 20v max driver it's an awesome tool. The brushless version is worth the cost.

Linda how long has your deck been in place? And mr. B that looks like a good alternative. We wanted to be able to sit and watch the water or the kids when they came. But looking at this picture it seems that you can still view the water on the lower deck. Since I gave up trying to level the ground by hand, mainly because my rotortiller wouldn't stay running, I am going to rent a bob cat, and hopefully will be able to dig the pool down enough to build a lower deck.

We bought the pool in 2010 and the deck build was started the summer of 2011. We are on vacation now and I only have a few pictures available now, but here are a few of the beginning of the build.
medium.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Never got an answer back as to what type of pool cover you were talking about. But in any case CJ? I notice your pool deck rides out over top the rim of your pool. I like this for my pool, but I don't know inches from your pool top cap to the bottom of the deck. I assumed you did leave space here to accommodate the pool cover. If this is true, how much space needs to be allowed? And would you change that height now that yours has been established? Is it hard to get the cover secure, and has it whipped around in off season winds, and caused chaffing on the cover from contacting the over hung deck? Anything you can add, that would be a better way of handling this in your opinion, would be appreciated. Thanks

There is about 1/2 inch between the plastic trim pieces and the deck which leaves about 3/4 between the metal rails and the deck.

That is just enough to get the winter cover in place. It's a little snug to get the cover in there you also need to get under the deck as well to set the cover on the side of the pool under the deck.

I've never had an issue with the winter winds taking the cover off but it does blow around from time to time.

It is very important to keep melted snow and rain water off the cover when it melts. Too much water weight on the cover can hurt the pool.

At the end of the day I am very happy with how the deck works with the pool. It's nice to jump off the deck into the pool the extra height makes for better cannon balls.

The warning about jumping, or diving actually, is about protecting people.

There is no diving in my pool or going head first.

A jump where you butt hits the pool first I fine. Even as a large adult I can jump as high as I want off the deck so long as I cannon ball or spread out when I hit the water.

If you go feet first straight in you will hit bottom like the water wasn't there as an adult. Kids get away with more.

Did I mention NO diving or going head first.

I was wondering, if I had a deck all the way around my pool that over hung the pool. What kind of cover would you buy, if you did not want to, be crawling under the deck. Are there ways to affix a cover to the deck, that would protect the pool, and not tear up the deck with whatever would be needed to attach cover, for proper protection.

The most direct way would be an oversized winter cover that you cover the opening in the deck with and weight it down with either sand or water bags.

The sand/water bags will get very tiresome after a year or two so some sort of tapped anchor into the deck would probably be in order.

A solid cover will catch rain and snow and will become very heavy. So you need to have a cover big enough so that it rests on top of the water in the pool. If there is no slack in the cover one minor rain event will just pull the cover into the pool. Solid winter covers should have any excess liquid water pumped off of them whenever possible.

An alternative to a solid cover would be a mesh cover. The mesh covers allow water to drain thru them so they don't get as heavy and don't need pumping. Sounds great but they tend to let small bits of organic matter into the pool over the winter which leads to dirtier spring openings. Also you will need to watch the water level in the pool and drain it if it gets to high. You don't want ice to damage the skimmer or top rail.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.