Brand new pool owner, ready to convert after 3 weeks!

Hang in there you are doing so many things right. You may be at that doubting stage about how much chlorine you are using, don't worry the conversion process works, you will not be disappointed that you made the change. Then when you get into a regular routine of maintenance you will be spending so much less money per year than if you had not switched. Let alone the empowerment gained from your own testing and of knowing how to take care of your pool (rather than the expense of driving to pool store, sheepishly handing a water sample and handing your credit card... what do I need)

I went thru 4 seasons on Baq and now entering the 5'th season on TFP methodology. I love my clear pool. Thanks to TFP.

If your pool water is clear then I would simply dose in the morning and then wait until evening to bring it up to 15ppm. The sunlight (UV) is destroying most of your chlorine because you have no stabilizer in the water. So the biggest bang for your chlorine buck is to dose at night. You can then add some more in the morning to get you through the day but I wouldn’t work at trying to maintain 15ppm while the sun is shining because you’re fighting a losing battle.

If your pool water is clear then I would simply dose in the morning and then wait until evening to bring it up to 15ppm. The sunlight (UV) is destroying most of your chlorine because you have no stabilizer in the water. So the biggest bang for your chlorine buck is to dose at night. You can then add some more in the morning to get you through the day but I wouldn’t work at trying to maintain 15ppm while the sun is shining because you’re fighting a losing battle.

This is very helpful. Thank you!

This is very helpful. Thank you!

Just make sure you’re getting to 15ppm after sunset and then test in the morning before sunrise. That will give you the best measure of overnight chlorine loss which is directly related to how much Baquacil is still left to oxidize. The daily loss is meaningless because it’s almost all related to UV.

I know you plan to change your filter sand eventually but you might want to open the filter if you haven’t yet and deep clean the sand bed. The sand bed can hold a lot of Baquacil gunk which will constantly eat up FC. So you want to get rid of the Baquacil solids as much as possible to get a true reading of FC loss. It’s a hit of messy work for sand you plan to throw out anyway but it can help to reduce the amount of conversion time needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.