Yard speaker planning

blazin

Bronze Supporter
Jul 29, 2017
Franklin, MA
We are in the process of building out our pool and I'm designing our outdoor audio system.

Plan so far...

Unfinished section of basement will hold the following:

2 - MX1260
2 - SMP250
8 - Chromecast Audio

Yard will have this monstrous array:

16:crazy: - LS3-PE
2 - OM-SUB200

Idea is to group chromecasts to provide a "party" mode that allows for all 16 speakers and subs to run the same music ie Spotify, Pandora, whatever can be casted but by having individual, subgroups can be created to have more intimate settings if needed.

Now the insanity is the speaker count. Currently, the main area of my deck has two speakers that are connected to Zone 2 on an aging Onkyo receiver indoors. I will purchase a chromecast for this receiver to tie them into the new system with minimal effort.

Without being to try every speaker out there I'm at a loss for how to evaluate outdoor speakers. Reviews are all over the map, dozens of people love one speakers and other hate them ie these LS3-PE or TIC or the list goes on and on. If I go for fewer speakers of "higher" quality or should I just say, better brand recognition ie Niles, Polk, Klipsch, will there actually be reliability, sound, etc improvements?

I'm aiming for the ability to walk the yard during party mode and not feel like any zone has an overwhelming music volume. Right now, if you sit on the deck beneath the speakers, you'll be washed out from a conversation if you sit by the proposed pool location or other features in the yard.

With the large amount of satellites, I'm still only at $400 due to the low price point, were as some of the big names are starting at or near that price. Being in new england, I could see losing a pair or set of these every 4-5 years regardless of brand, and it'd be easier to swallow at $400 than $2000. Anyone have ideas, experience, or comments?

I have a similar plan. I like the idea of having multiple zones. You can keep the music at a nice background level without being too loud. I’m going with wall mounted on the house and tic In ground speakers around the pool. I’m using tic sub linked to two sub mini speakers. The plan is to hook all of the speakers to a multiple speaker zone switch with individual volume controls. I hope to get good coverage with being overbearing. Speakers will be hooked up to an amp with Bluetooth/Apple airplay access.

Photo of the tic speakers.

bbde74d8b4a80e75b80a3884b9ef0906.heic

I’ll repost once I’m done and let you know how they sound.

My neighbors have a $75k outdoor sound system with subs, rock speakers, etc. The neighbors and their kids/cousins are perpetually screaming because then can't hear each other speak over the music. I am thinking of moving because of their inconsideration. It makes relaxing by the pool and reading a book impossible. Whatever you do, please consider your neighbors in your planning.

Very true. That’s why I like the idea of the speaker switch. Zones can be turned off at night and vol can be kept low. I agree on being considerate of the neighbors. Also have to consider guests. I hate going to a party and having to yell to have a conversation.

We are in the process of building out our pool and I'm designing our outdoor audio system.

Plan so far...

Unfinished section of basement will hold the following:

2 - MX1260
2 - SMP250
8 - Chromecast Audio

Yard will have this monstrous array:

16:crazy: - LS3-PE
2 - OM-SUB200

Idea is to group chromecasts to provide a "party" mode that allows for all 16 speakers and subs to run the same music ie Spotify, Pandora, whatever can be casted but by having individual, subgroups can be created to have more intimate settings if needed.

Now the insanity is the speaker count. Currently, the main area of my deck has two speakers that are connected to Zone 2 on an aging Onkyo receiver indoors. I will purchase a chromecast for this receiver to tie them into the new system with minimal effort.

Without being to try every speaker out there I'm at a loss for how to evaluate outdoor speakers. Reviews are all over the map, dozens of people love one speakers and other hate them ie these LS3-PE or TIC or the list goes on and on. If I go for fewer speakers of "higher" quality or should I just say, better brand recognition ie Niles, Polk, Klipsch, will there actually be reliability, sound, etc improvements?

I'm aiming for the ability to walk the yard during party mode and not feel like any zone has an overwhelming music volume. Right now, if you sit on the deck beneath the speakers, you'll be washed out from a conversation if you sit by the proposed pool location or other features in the yard.

With the large amount of satellites, I'm still only at $400 due to the low price point, were as some of the big names are starting at or near that price. Being in new england, I could see losing a pair or set of these every 4-5 years regardless of brand, and it'd be easier to swallow at $400 than $2000. Anyone have ideas, experience, or comments?

we do arrays now and then. People don’t want to spend the money. I’m doing nuvo technologies speaker array. I was going to do triad but even for my price it was kinda nutty. I’m doing 6 speakers and 1 sub for the pool on 1 zone. My other 2 zones have proficient inceiling causexthey r a pool house and covered patio. I also have access to Russound array and sonance but I don’t think they r any better. If I went higher end it would be triad. My theatre and other media room is triad. They r the best I fell but for outside. I think I will be fine with nuvo.

So r u really going to keep adjusting 8 zones? How big of an area or dedicated areas really? I would be sticking 6 or 8 on a Zone. Unless u have a crazy huge space with multiple seating areas. U have a pic. I can’t imagine having 8 outside zones and if u do I would think you would need more than 2 array speakers in that zone.

Pics or drawings. I have done backwards that are over an acre of livgrass my space and even then I usually have 2 or 3 zones.

But having miltiple zones is the way the way to go.

Nice thing about the nuvo units we use is we can party mode them so same music plays and we can adjust each vol on its own slider or 1 master slider. Or we can break out each zone on it’s own with its own music. Also nuvo along with Sonos have agreements with Spotify so u can have multiple diff streams on 1 account. With chrome cast u need 1 premium account per chrome cast to have diff music playing. With our nuvo music port I have 1 account but can stream 4 diff songs to 4 zones.

- - - Updated - - -

My neighbors have a $75k outdoor sound system with subs, rock speakers, etc. The neighbors and their kids/cousins are perpetually screaming because then can't hear each other speak over the music. I am thinking of moving because of their inconsideration. It makes relaxing by the pool and reading a book impossible. Whatever you do, please consider your neighbors in your planning.

cost doesn’t really matter a cheap system can be laid out poorly and you can have the same issue. I can also design a system for a couple grand that will blow ur eardrums out if u want. Bit ya think about ur neighbors. That’s why multiple zones and speakers in each zone helps for keeping cool lower bit at proper levels in the listening area. Also placement is huge.

Agreed, the point of having the speakers is to keep everything as ambient and at lower volume across the spectrum so speakers are not in their distortion area which can add to perceived "loudness" to most people.

That being said 2 side of my property are 20+ acres of woodlands, 1 is frontage on a circle, and the last is a neighbor.

I will be biasing my outdoor space towards the wooded area to take advantage of privacy and natural back drop.

So yes understand and I will ensure we are not the annoying ones for music at least, nothing can be done about loud children enjoying a pool.

we do arrays now and then. People don’t want to spend the money. I’m doing nuvo technologies speaker array. I was going to do triad but even for my price it was kinda nutty. I’m doing 6 speakers and 1 sub for the pool on 1 zone. My other 2 zones have proficient inceiling causexthey r a pool house and covered patio. I also have access to Russound array and sonance but I don’t think they r any better. If I went higher end it would be triad. My theatre and other media room is triad. They r the best I fell but for outside. I think I will be fine with nuvo.

So r u really going to keep adjusting 8 zones? How big of an area or dedicated areas really? I would be sticking 6 or 8 on a Zone. Unless u have a crazy huge space with multiple seating areas. U have a pic. I can’t imagine having 8 outside zones and if u do I would think you would need more than 2 array speakers in that zone.

Pics or drawings. I have done backwards that are over an acre of livgrass my space and even then I usually have 2 or 3 zones.

But having miltiple zones is the way the way to go.

Nice thing about the nuvo units we use is we can party mode them so same music plays and we can adjust each vol on its own slider or 1 master slider. Or we can break out each zone on it’s own with its own music. Also nuvo along with Sonos have agreements with Spotify so u can have multiple diff streams on 1 account. With chrome cast u need 1 premium account per chrome cast to have diff music playing. With our nuvo music port I have 1 account but can stream 4 diff songs to 4 zones.

- - - Updated - - -

cost doesn’t really matter a cheap system can be laid out poorly and you can have the same issue. I can also design a system for a couple grand that will blow ur eardrums out if u want. Bit ya think about ur neighbors. That’s why multiple zones and speakers in each zone helps for keeping cool lower bit at proper levels in the listening area. Also placement is huge.

I definitely won't be adjusting 8 zones and I don't plan on playing different sources within them. The layout is more to be able to keep volumes minmized and targeted.

For example,

At night in the spa, speakers in that zone only.

Fall by the firepit, that zone only.

Dinner on the deck, that zone only.

Day at the pool, spa, firepit, and some other pool speakers zones on, but maybe deck off.

Party mode, all the zones on.

Now why so many zones where I only listed 4? Well, for one the are free. I really want to build an array around the yard and to achieve this with lower priced equipment put me into a multizone amplifier that gives me 6 zones each.

If I went russound, nuvo, triad, or any big name a speaker pair would be more than my amp.

All in my design is about $3k I could pare it down to get it below 2k I'm sure, and I probably will build it slowly.

Plan is to walk the yard with the system dry running and then lock locations, pull wires through pre-laid tubes, and if it means fewer speakers? So be it, but definitely not interested in a entry level unit in a high end brand they are often super limited until you shell out.

I love my TIC 8” DVC speaker, it sounds great and you can’t beat the price. I also have a pair of Polk atrium 5 speakers which have held up great in the Florida weather. I also have 2 pairs of cheap dual outdoor speakers which haven’t been too bad considering they were CHEAP. I only have 4 zones outside but I get great coverage in my 50’ x 90’ backyard. I considered chromecast but ended up using play-fi. I have reviews and links for the speakers in my sig.

I definitely won't be adjusting 8 zones and I don't plan on playing different sources within them. The layout is more to be able to keep volumes minmized and targeted.

For example,

At night in the spa, speakers in that zone only.

Fall by the firepit, that zone only.

Dinner on the deck, that zone only.

Day at the pool, spa, firepit, and some other pool speakers zones on, but maybe deck off.

Party mode, all the zones on.

Now why so many zones where I only listed 4? Well, for one the are free. I really want to build an array around the yard and to achieve this with lower priced equipment put me into a multizone amplifier that gives me 6 zones each.

If I went russound, nuvo, triad, or any big name a speaker pair would be more than my amp.

All in my design is about $3k I could pare it down to get it below 2k I'm sure, and I probably will build it slowly.

Plan is to walk the yard with the system dry running and then lock locations, pull wires through pre-laid tubes, and if it means fewer speakers? So be it, but definitely not interested in a entry level unit in a high end brand they are often super limited until you shell out.

ok ur zones. So r u going to have a sub associated with each zone? Or just 2 array speakers. Cause they usually aren’t full range. So if u only have 2 satrilites u are not going to be getting the full signal to them vs a pair of rocks for example. Technically each array area or zone would have a sub. Pretty much we have learned over the years to lay them out according to square footage of a zone. As the zone getting larger the speaker count increases along with the sub or subs placement. It equalizes the space out. So like around my pool. It’s a 40x 25 area let’s say. 6 with 1 or 2 subs would cover me. But then if I used an array in another area I would have a multiple count for hat space with its own sub also. But since hat gets nuts other speakers would be used.

SO here is my set up.

1. Wire- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071W2DRVY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2- 4 Rock Speakers Niles--- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0008D70XE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3. AMP-https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...tailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4. Speaker Selector https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K2GAZI4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

5. Sonus Connect https://www.amazon.com/Sonos-Wireless-Receiver-Component-Streaming/dp/B001CROHX6/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1528745099&sr=1-3&keywords=sonos+connect

Quick Review-

Crown Amp can be bridged.

Each speaker is on its own zone. I did this so I can control the volumn of each speaker

Sonus Connect- Use this for Spotify control from my phone.

Nile Speakers- The best sounding rock speakers out there for the price. Cant go wrong with these and are built to last.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
SO here is my set up.

1. Wire- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071W2DRVY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2- 4 Rock Speakers Niles--- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0008D70XE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3. AMP-https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...tailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4. Speaker Selector https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K2GAZI4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

5. Sonus Connect https://www.amazon.com/Sonos-Wirele...&qid=1528745099&sr=1-3&keywords=sonos+connect

Quick Review-

Crown Amp can be bridged.

Each speaker is on its own zone. I did this so I can control the volumn of each speaker

Sonus Connect- Use this for Spotify control from my phone.

Nile Speakers- The best sounding rock speakers out there for the price. Cant go wrong with these and are built to last.

Your amp link got clobbered, care to share again? Thanks

I'm interested in rock speakers too. I'd love to get by with something that has enough low end to bypass the subs completely. I really just want clean sounding ambient music that allows people to have a conversation without screaming over the volume at any location in the yard. I may be able to fill in with a few omni speakers, but I'm thinking overlapping narrow beam rocks or landscape speakers will perform better at the edges of the activity areas. No sense in putting a 360 degree speaker on a property line...

It was a Crown Amp. sorry, not sure what happened.
Your amp link got clobbered, care to share again? Thanks

I'm interested in rock speakers too. I'd love to get by with something that has enough low end to bypass the subs completely. I really just want clean sounding ambient music that allows people to have a conversation without screaming over the volume at any location in the yard. I may be able to fill in with a few omni speakers, but I'm thinking overlapping narrow beam rocks or landscape speakers will perform better at the edges of the activity areas. No sense in putting a 360 degree speaker on a property line...

I used to just have two speakers on garage and would need to turn it up to hear on other side of pool. But now with rock speakers on deep end side I can keep the volume lower and one can always hear it. I always try to be considerate, most of the time

Good to hear, I just installed a 4 speaker array at my parents pool, 1 zone, it sounded a bit anemic so I'll definitely need a sub for my own solution.

I installed the speakers across the face of the pool pointed towards seating area, turned the volume to 60% on the amp at 100% in the Google home app it is very loud!! Just no low end whatsoever.

Distance from speaker to seating is ~25 feet. Definitely won't need as many as I thought. Wish I had a chance to preview some rocks maybe they have enough low end to make it sound rich

The bass is these best buy rock speakers i think are very good. A sub would help, but the sound I get always is impressive and I don't recall them being expensive. This is summer 2 or 3 with them. Bring on the heat wave!

I can’t have bass with an array speaker. They need to be paired with a sub. There is no way u are getting any low end out of a tweeter in an array speaker. The point of an array is to light up a large area with multiple speakers so the volume can be equal all over the area. U then fill the area with subs as needed to get a full range setup. If u don’t want to use subs u pretty much can’t use array satellite speakers.

I just picked up 4 of these for 57% off on Amazon in like new condition. I almost pulled the trigger the other day for $168/ea but held off and then today at $129/ea, I pulled the trigger. I was looking at speakers in a similar price range, but from what I've read these blow them away. Picked up some budget amps (xmp100) to run them, and speaker wire. Had $500 in gift cards lurking around since 2017 that I tossed at this for a dent of $285 after some other little goodies.

So.. I got my entry into my outdoor speaker system for $285 (cost to me) which includes:

4 - AWR-650-SM
2 - XMP100
250 ft - 16/4 (runs are ~50ft max)

Normally would be about $1500.. pretty good deal to me.

AWR650SMRockGrey_635043068521180000_medium.JPG

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.