Freeform in MA

blazin

Bronze Supporter
Jul 29, 2017
Franklin, MA
Finally our pool begins!

EM6LT2b.png

Today was dig day.. finally.. long over due!

We were slated to start 5/1 and being about a month over has been frustrating but we're finally digging. :D All was going well and then we hit ledge.. :( good news is it was not cost prohibitive, our overall base is solid and doesn't require extra fill, and our very difficult yard is going to benefit from some of the large rocks and ledge rubble in the final regrade.

Pool Specs:

19'x34' freeform gunite 3-6' depth 16740 Gals
7' diameter spa attached

We've tentatively decided on White Diamonds Pebblesheen finish, Blu 60 Shale Gray pavers/coping, but are TBD on our waterline tile.

Equipment:

Pentair Whisperflo Pool Pump 1.5 hp
Pentair Mastertemp heater 400k BTU
Polaris 280 robot
Jandy RS8 Pool and Spa controller
Spa blower and booster 1.5 hp each

Pictures to follow..

Unfortunately, we don't have much choice, it's not grout but it'll be polymeric sand. It does "wash out" over time becoming a bit more dirt/gray color, but I agree the tan/bluish gray does not go well IMHO

- - - Updated - - -

Pick me, pick me, pick me!!!! Pick me to help you pick out your waterline tile!!!! PLEASE!! :angel:

I can't wait to see pics!!

Kim:kim:

I'll post our top front runners.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Updated first post with CAD. We had some 3D renderings from a landscape designer; however, they don't reflect our new plans at all as they flaked...

This process for us has been really trying. Landscapers in New England could make a killing if they did one thing, do what they said they would.

Anyways, I'm excited to get home today and see what progress has been made on hammering the ledge they discovered.

Pics later!

Dig Day:

pre8vEv.jpg

Day 2 after ledge removed and layout complete

HYjAuPn.jpg

View from 2nd floor

Z4ySj8F.jpg

You can see on the back left a bump out that shows where the spa will sit. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but on the far right there is a tree with a pink ribbon. From that point to the original paver height was a drop, down towards the tree, of about 6-7 feet over 10 feet? This was the result of some fill used to build up the area when the house was first built, the natural grade was no where near as steep, but we are going to try and regrade for a nice level yard that has a good mix of grassy areas for the kids along side the pool and patio.

Can't wait...

Anyone have an opinion *opens the floodgates* on LED vs Incandescent? I'm a fan of LED but by trade I'm all too familiar with the shortcomings of the companies that make the units.

My biggest concern is LED driver failure. If you're not familiar, LEDs themselves should last 50k hours, which is wonderful; however, the driver circuits used to create the right conditions ie constant current are often the weak link.

That being said, my PB is currently building in a 500W incandescent fixture. I'm thinking we can buy an LED replacement bulb to drop in to reduce the energy consumption. This should allow us to toss a new bulb into the fixture if the driver in the bulb fails vs if the driver/electronics in the LED fixture (no replacement available) fails. ie Cost of new LED bulb - $50 vs entire fixture $500.

This is the same problem I have with things like Ring Floodlight cam and other products that are now integrating LEDs. If those drivers fail, the whole hundred+ dollar fixture is trash. Do I smell a right to repair type scenario on the horizon?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.