New build - Katy, TX (near Houston)

jaymantx

Silver Supporter
Apr 3, 2018
Houston/TX
Hi folks,

Seems like there are quite many Houstonian burb folks in here! Here is another Texas pool build thread.
I signed a contract in early May, but HOA approval took 3 weeks...FML.. We finally broke ground today.

Geometric Pool:
Perimeter: 116'
Width & Length: 15'-17' X 40' (including spa)
5'X7' tanning ledge
1 X bubbler on tanning ledge
3 X 18" scupper water features
Depth: 3.5'-5.5'
Area: 524 sqft
Volume 17,685 gals

Spa:
7'X9'
6 jets
Raised 12"
2 infinity edge spillways to main pool

Reinforcing:
#3 bars 8"x8' o.c. both ways on floor & walls
(4) #4 bars continuous in 12" x 14" bond beam

Gunite:
4000 psi pneumatically applied (6 sack mix)

Coping:
Travertine

Waterline Tile:
6" standard

Plaster:
White Satin Pebble Sheen - (Might switch color)

Equipment (PB will provide part numbers):
Hayward VS 3HP pool pump
Hayward 520 sqft cartridge filter
Hayward 400K btu heater
Hayward Salt System (I asked for the model big enough to cover 40,000 gal)
Hayward 1 hp Water Feature Pump
Hayward 8 function Remote System -> Replaced with Omnilogic and apps
Iphone App Control (PB will confirm if it's Omnilogic)
2 X 5G Color LED Pool Lights
1 X 5G Color LED Spa Light
1 X LED Color globe Light on Tanning Ledge
1.5 hp silencer Blower
Robot pool cleaner
2 Surface Skimmers
5 X 2" directional return inlets in pool
4 X main drains for pool with antivortex covers
2 X main drains for spa with antivortex covers
Paramount UV Sanitizer/Ozonator Combo (I might cancel this) -> Replaced with TX :sun:

Plumbing:
Sch. 40 PVC on all pool piping
Separate main drain line and skimmer lines with valving
Autofill

Deck:
675 sqft Travertine Pavers
4" PVC pipe deck drains out to street

Rendering is little outdated. Spa size has been increased to 7'x9'. Widths of the pool has been increased from 14'-16' to 15' to 17' since the rendering. Also, pergola has been relocated to the right side instead of the center.

- - - Updated - - -

Day 1

Calm before the storm...

Here we go...

Looks great! You have been reading the forum! A rare day a Texas pool shows a SWCG in the equipment list and no puck thing!!

Good job!!

Nice design. I would definitely cancel the ozone thing. There is no need for it.

From your dig pictures it looks like your pool will always have sun on it. You may want to consider an umbrella holder on your tanning ledge. I would also see if they can add one or two into your paver decking in strategic places. This way no umbrella stands needed.

Thanks for the input. I forgot to add sunbrella sleeves in the list. PB is including 2 or 3 sleeves for free.

Nice design. I would definitely cancel the ozone thing. There is no need for it.

From your dig pictures it looks like your pool will always have sun on it. You may want to consider an umbrella holder on your tanning ledge. I would also see if they can add one or two into your paver decking in strategic places. This way no umbrella stands needed.

OH goody!! A pool to help build!! SWEET! Are you going to make me stick to the budget?? hehe

Another member has those sail shades and LOVES them!

What kind of valves? I see some talk of them but not kind.

unions-make sure there will be unions on all pieces of equipment.

Do you have the model numbers yet?

Thanks for letting come along for this journey!

Kim:kim:

I appreciate your input! TFP is definitely not kind to my wallet.. I already asked PB to quote me on color matched drains, glass waterline tiles, and various Pebblesheen colors...

My PB is an old school guy who still hand draws pool design on a grid drafting paper... LOL I repeatedly asked for part numbers, but no luck yet... One heck of a genuine guy with great work ethics though...

I'll ask PB about valve types and unions.. Time to learn about unions... Thank you!

OH goody!! A pool to help build!! SWEET! Are you going to make me stick to the budget?? hehe

Another member has those sail shades and LOVES them!

What kind of valves? I see some talk of them but not kind.

unions-make sure there will be unions on all pieces of equipment.

Do you have the model numbers yet?

Thanks for letting come along for this journey!

Day 2:

Steel beam reinforcement workers didn't show up until 4:30PM today... Apparently their previous job got delayed, so I got bumped back. I didn't think reinforcement is going to get done by today, but these guys put flashlight helmets on and finished it around 10PM! Very impressive!

Sorry about the crappy security cam snapshot pics. I'm actually on a business trip, so I am watching the progress through my security cam... LOL Timestamps in the pics are Pacific time by the way...

28762867958_b0fe3631c6_b.jpg

41917982204_3099988d53_b.jpg

41917980574_e9aeb41477_b.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When you get home go out to the pool with plans and a tape measure in hand. Is it long, wide, deep, etc enough? NOW is the time to fix/tweak as needed.

LOL on finishing by head lights............they had to be beat!

Great photos! Your pool is huge! That’s unbelievable that they worked with flashlight helmets until 10pm. That would never happen here. Tradies knock off at 4pm or earlier and you’re lucky to get a half day out of them on a Friday. Hopefully they continue to push the work out for you.

Finally got home last night. Woke up this morning and checked out the pool build. Everything seems to be in good order except the 2 sides of the spa that is supposed to have the infinity edge spillover... They setup the steel beams so that there is a significant angle sloping down towards the pool like this..

41986277524_2520b493d0_b.jpg

What I want is this:

41804619725_ee56dfd388_b.jpg

Luckily my PB was near by my house, so we hashed it out. Steel beams will be fixed before the gunite...

Plumbing workers came by Friday and put pipes in to be ready for gunite.
Apparently, now is one of the busiest pool building season in Houston.. Gunite companies are fully booked for 2 weeks out. In fact, I have a neighbor who broke ground 1 week ahead of me, but they still don't have gunite yet, and my build caught up... PB says we are booked for gunite this coming Tuesday. #crossfingers

Here are some better quality pics of the build...

42655247612_f7ddff62db_b.jpg

41804622295_f6044aa582_b.jpg

42655248362_f85e8ebccf_b.jpg

Nice big pool!

Do my eyes deceive me, or did you have a trampoline recessed into the ground?

Good thing I did what you recommended.. I caught the infinity edge mistake... WHEW...

When you get home go out to the pool with plans and a tape measure in hand. Is it long, wide, deep, etc enough? NOW is the time to fix/tweak as needed.

LOL on finishing by head lights............they had to be beat!

- - - Updated - - -

HAHA, yeah you saw it right. It's gone now...

Nice big pool!

Do my eyes deceive me, or did you have a trampoline recessed into the ground?

- - - Updated - - -

Nice references! These sun sails give that modern style outdoor vibe that I like... I have the same problem as you. I need to put in a significantly sturdy metal or lumber beam possibly with a concrete base. I also plan to go without for awhile and see if we can manage it..

I love the sun sail idea. We may do that in the future, but the dimensions of our yard meant we were going to have to do some pretty serious supports. Wanted to live with the pool a bit to see if it was worth it to us.

You probably don't need any more inspiration, but these are some of my favorites:

Our Work

Palm Springs Residence

Grounded - Modern Landscape Architecture - Modern - Landscape - San Diego - by Grounded - Richard Risner RLA, ASLA

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, these workers don't mess around... ;)

Great photos! Your pool is huge! That’s unbelievable that they worked with flashlight helmets until 10pm. That would never happen here. Tradies knock off at 4pm or earlier and you’re lucky to get a half day out of them on a Friday. Hopefully they continue to push the work out for you.

I have one more dilemma.. I asked my PB about the shape of the three 18" wide scuppers going in, and he said he builds them out of travertine... This took me by surprise, because I thought I was getting scuppers made out of stainless steel... What do you guys recommend? Should I just stick with scuppers made out of travertine, or get those slick looking stainless steel scuppers? What's the pros and cons between the two?

I also found these made out of composite plastic material.. I don't mind this either since these can be nicely hidden away under the coping...

https://majesticwaterspouts.com/col...omaso-24-smooth-water-cascading-spillway-gray

Pentair 581102FSW MagicFalls Waterfall Sheet Standard 1in. Lip 2' White

And THAT is why I say to measure!! GREAT CATCH!!!

Scuppers-what does your contract say? I would prefer the man made material. After a while the stone will wear from the water flowing over it....how long would it take??? who knows but..........better safe than sorry.

OR you can use one of these: https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=lighted+waterfall+spillway&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=233127435986&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5454778597467752067&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9011580&hvtargid=kwd-307483310840&ref=pd_sl_44guqunw1m_e PRETTY!!

Contract just says 3 18" scupper water features... Good thing I asked what material it's made out of... Travertine scuppers look dull and outdated... I shoot off an email to PB asking if we can use the composite plastic scuppers. I like the fact that plastic scuppers can be tucked away just below the coping, and are significantly cheaper than the stainless steel ones.

And THAT is why I say to measure!! GREAT CATCH!!!

Scuppers-what does your contract say? I would prefer the man made material. After a while the stone will wear from the water flowing over it....how long would it take??? who knows but..........better safe than sorry.

OR you can use one of these: https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&k...argid=kwd-307483310840&ref=pd_sl_44guqunw1m_e PRETTY!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.