Pump stops pumping after ~ 4 hours, backwashing resets it

dan52

Jun 3, 2018
Hamilton, NJ
I have an Intex pump on an 18 ft above ground. The pool & pump are only 1 year old. When I turn the pump on, it works fine, but slowly pushes less and less water until about 4 hours in it's pushing almost nothing.

Backwashing resets it. The backwash is a bit dirty, although not nearly as dirty as was normal last year.

The pool is very messy right now (the cover split over the winter, so tons of crud to clean out). So I do expect to backwash a bit more frequently - but multiple backwashes per day seems way out of line.

Any advice? How to I get the pump to stop "winding down"?

So, the motor stays running and the output gets lower and lower or does the motor slow down to a stop? If it is the first, then you may need to open up the filter and give it a good cleaning (deep clean). If it is the latter then I would suspect a bad motor that will need to be replaced. I am guessing it is the clogged up filter that needs a good cleaning. You may also have a bad alge problem going.

dan

complete your signature and list out the spec's of your pool equipment and pool type and dimensions... have you done any tests on your water chemistries and have you added anything to your pool? sounds like you have all types of things going on which each one needs to be addressed: test and treat water properly, clean pool out, clean out filtering system, then test water again...

Thanks for all the replies...

"So, the motor stays running and the output gets lower and lower or does the motor slow down to a stop?" - It stays running.

"Do you have a pressure gauge?" - Yes. The pressure only goes up modestly. From about 8 to about 11. Into the low end of the yellow zone. It is not straining or overheating.

"have you done any tests on your water chemistries and have you added anything to your pool? " - Had the chemistry tested at the local pool store. Everything was good - just needed more stabilizer. (Phosphates were a tiny bit high, but I'm not treating that yet.) I also have some basic test strips chlorine/ph/etc. They show chlorine is a bit low, but that's expected since I can't run the chlorinator all day.

"sounds like you have all types of things going on" - Strange as it may seem, the pump weirdness is the only thing. The pool is getting cleaner (slowly, since I can't run the pump 24x7).

I might try a 'deep clean' like in the pinned thread.

Thanks for all the replies...

"So, the motor stays running and the output gets lower and lower or does the motor slow down to a stop?" - It stays running.

"Do you have a pressure gauge?" - Yes. The pressure only goes up modestly. From about 8 to about 11. Into the low end of the yellow zone. It is not straining or overheating.

"have you done any tests on your water chemistries and have you added anything to your pool? " - Had the chemistry tested at the local pool store. Everything was good - just needed more stabilizer. (Phosphates were a tiny bit high, but I'm not treating that yet.) I also have some basic test strips chlorine/ph/etc. They show chlorine is a bit low, but that's expected since I can't run the chlorinator all day.

"sounds like you have all types of things going on" - Strange as it may seem, the pump weirdness is the only thing. The pool is getting cleaner (slowly, since I can't run the pump 24x7).

I might try a 'deep clean' like in the pinned thread.

If you’re going from 8-11, you’re reaching the 25%increase that tells you you need a backwash. How does your water look? Just how much are you filtering out?

4 hours seems awfully fast unless 1: Your Pool is having a massive bloom and you’re filtering out a ton
2: your filter is severely undersized,
or
3: Something’s messes up with your sand. I’d recommend you go through the deep cleaning procedure ASAP.

If you’re going from 8-11, you’re reaching the 25%increase that tells you you need a backwash. How does your water look? Just how much are you filtering out?

4 hours seems awfully fast unless 1: Your Pool is having a massive bloom and you’re filtering out a ton
2: your filter is severely undersized,
or
3: Something’s messes up with your sand. I’d recommend you go through the deep cleaning procedure ASAP.

Hi Jim,

I did the deep clean, and it was gross, like you guessed.

Reassembling it, there's an issue.

It's an intex sf 80110. The vertical tube inside has vented 'feet' attached at the bottom. These were under the sand, but came up when I opened the filter. Now I have to get them back under the sand. I can get them down a couple inches by wigging the tube around, but getting them to the bottom is really hard. Is there some trick to it? Or do I need to dump the sand, position it, and put the same back in?

Thanks,
Dan

Not familiar with that filter, but I don’t think that the standpipe and laterals should have come out when you disassembled. Regardless, the sand will need to be removed, the filter reassembled, and then refilled. Be sure to fill the filter halfway with water before re-adding your sand, tape over the. Top of the standpipe so that no sand accidentally goes down it, and ensure the laterals stay on the bottom and the standpipe remains centered while filling.

After youre done refilling, reassemble the filter, hook up your plumbing, and backwash for a minimum of 2 minutes. Then “rinse” for another 2 minutes before switching back to filter mode. Make sure to shut your pump off when moving your multi port valve. Also, now that you’ve completed your deep clean, make note of your clean filter pressure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.