Mineral Springs Model MS-20/21/22/23 issues

May 28, 2018
Destin, FL
Hi all,
New to pool ownership...a
about a year and a half....1st year or so, no issues. My wife has the water tested every 2-3 week and we have had no problems at all till a couple of months ago.
At test 3 weeks ago, the pool place told us that the SWG was not producing and the cell needed to be inspected and cleaned. I removed the cell, took it in and had them check it and clean...no issues found. Added salt and shocked the pool...readings at 3200.
At test last week, we were told that it was still not producing, needed to be shocked and needed acid.
Readings:
Total Chlorine 1.0
Free chlorine 1.0
Salt 3900...even though the system shows 3200

The SWG lights read:

Power>>>ON
Generating sanitizer>>>OFF
Sanitizer boost>>>OFF (I have it on auto at 90%)
No flow>>>OFF
Check minerals>>>OFF
High minerals>>>OFF
Inspect cell>>>OFF

The system is set to run for 6 hours on the timer. Question about that, should it be running at the same time as the pool pump?

Your help will be greatly appreciated,
Pete

Welcome to the forum!

The SWCG must be set to run when the pump is running. The SWCG has a flow switch to detect flow before it will generate chlorine. The flow switch is a secondary safety device. The SWCG could explode if it generates chlorine without water flowing through it.

Look around the forum. We advocate pool owner testing with a proper test kit. No pool stores. And your mineral device is not doing you any favors.

Take care.

Readings:
Total Chlorine 1.0
Free chlorine 1.0
Salt 3900...even though the system shows 3200

What is your CYA?

Salt at 3200 vs 3900 measurements is not a big deal. Pool store and cell use differ ways of measuring, none of which are very accurate. As long as they are in the range of what your SWG needs you are good.

Get your own test kit. Recommended is TF-100 http://tftestkits.net/Test-Kits-c4/. Pool store tests have no credibility.

The SWG lights read:

Power>>>ON
Generating sanitizer>>>OFF
Sanitizer boost>>>OFF (I have it on auto at 90%)
No flow>>>OFF
Check minerals>>>OFF
High minerals>>>OFF
Inspect cell>>>OFF

The system is set to run for 6 hours on the timer. Question about that, should it be running at the same time as the pool pump?

SWG needs to run when pool pump runs.

First thing I would do is set the pool pump and SWG to run 24 hours. Get the timers out of the equation. Are your pool pump and SWG on the same or different timers? You need the FC to be produced anyway.

Then turn sanitizer boost on for 24 hours.

Your Mineral Springs SWG manual is here -- http://www.parpool-spa.com/Page/Help/TechMan/BioGd-MinSpring-MS20-21.pdf

Once you get your test kit and know your CYA we will have a better idea how much FC production your pool needs.

BTW, I had a Mineral Springs SWG in my pool. I eventually figured out Beginnings and Renewal is just expensive pool salt and borates mixed in a bag. No magic formula. When my MS SWG failed I replaced it with a Pentair Intellichlor and using pool salt that you can get for $5.50 - $6.50 per 40lbs bag from Wal-Mart or Lowes. And then added boric acid from sources discussed here at TFP.

Read articles here at the Pool School tab and get familiar with PoolMath and take control of your pool chemistry.

Welcome to the forum!

The SWCG must be set to run when the pump is running. The SWCG has a flow switch to detect flow before it will generate chlorine. The flow switch is a secondary safety device. The SWCG could explode if it generates chlorine without water flowing through it.

Look around the forum. We advocate pool owner testing with a proper test kit. No pool stores. And your mineral device is not doing you any favors.

Take care.

Thanks so much...i will reset once Alberto storm moves through!

- - - Updated - - -

Cell is a Hayward Turbo Cell GLX-CELL-5...pool is 10k gallons

- - - Updated - - -

the pool pump and SWG have different timers in each unit.
Thank you so much!!!

What are the diagnostic readings?

Diagnostic Displays
Sequential pushes of the small "diagnostic" button next to the LCD display will cause the Mineral Springsto display the following information:
1 Pool temperature (xx degrees Fahrenheit or Celsius)
2. Cell voltage (typically 22.0 to 25.0 volts when sanitizer is being generated, otherwise 30-35V)
3. Cell current (typically 4.50 to 7.80 amps when sanitizer is being generated,
otherwise 0 amps)
4. Sanitizer Output Control % ("0P" -- "100P" depending on knob position.
5. Instant mineral level ( -xxxx ppm or -x.xx grams/Liter)
6. AL-0, AL-1, AL-2 will display (not applicable for MS-20/21/22/23 models)
7. Software revision level (r1.xx)
On the 8th push of the button the display will revert back to the default mineral display. Also, if the button is not pushed for 30 seconds, the display will revert back to the standard mineral display.

1 Pool temperature (xx degrees Fahrenheit or Celsius)>>>82
2. Cell voltage (typically 22.0 to 25.0 volts when sanitizer is being generated, otherwise 30-35V)>>>>27.1
3. Cell current (typically 4.50 to 7.80 amps when sanitizer is being generated,>>>>>4.18
otherwise 0 amps)
4. Sanitizer Output Control % ("0P" -- "100P" depending on knob position.>>>90P
5. Instant mineral level ( -xxxx ppm or -x.xx grams/Liter)>>>>3000
6. AL-0, AL-1, AL-2 will display (not applicable for MS-20/21/22/23 models)>>>AL_6
7. Software revision level (r1.xx)>>>R140

Ok, those numbers indicate that it is working. Is the generating light on?

If the salinity reading is beginning to read lower than actual, the cell is probably failing.

How old is the cell?

AL-6 and AL-7 are used on the aquatrol, which is an aquarite with a timer for above ground pools. So, you have a rebranded AquaTrol, which is similar to the Aquarite.

The timer in the Mineral Springs box should control the pump.

Which model do you have 20, 21, 22 or 23?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, those numbers indicate that it is working. Is the generating light on?>>>light is not on, but the timer is not set at the same time of the pool pump timer

If the salinity reading is beginning to read lower than actual, the cell is probably failing.

How old is the cell?>>>>cell is 18 months old

AL-6 and AL-7 are used on the aquatrol, which is an aquarite with a timer for above ground pools. So, you have a rebranded AquaTrol, which is similar to the Aquarite.>>>we have inground 10K gallon pool

The timer in the Mineral Springs box should control the pump.>>>>2 different separate timers

Which model do you have 20, 21, 22 or 23?

The amps indicate that the cell is making chlorine. The cell is a bit undersized for your pool and won't keep up if the chlorine gets behind. 6 hours is probably not sufficient for even routine fc maintenance.

You should follow the SLAM process to get the water back under control and then maintain fc at about 10% of CYA.

The salt system timer should be set to run within the pump runtime window.

I recommend the K-1766 salt test kit to monitor salinity independently of the box.

The generating light should be on if you show amps. If it's not, I suspect that the generating led has burned out.

You can do a warranty claim for a new display board if the led has failed.

The system will make about 9 ppm per 24 hours at 100%.

At 6 hours at 90%, the system will make about 2 ppm.

2 ppm is not enough during summer or when the fc gets behind.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.