After-construction Pool Stairs?

ohaya

Jun 17, 2015
VA
Hi,

We have a 28K gallon, kidney-shaped inground, concrete pool, and I am finding it difficult to get in and out of the pool safely without any help (due to nerve damage, I have very little in my legs/feet below the knees).

The shallow end is fairly level, but it drops off pretty quickly after the stairs, because we built the pool when our kids were a bit older and we wanted the deep end to be deeper than normal.

The pool has built-in stairs at the side of the shallow end, next to the built-in spa.

We do have a ladder near the deep end, but we haven't installed it after the first couple of years.

So, anyway, we are thinking of getting these steps:

Pool Steps

If we get one of them, I would prefer NOT to drill holes into the deck to attach it, but rather just weigh it down with buckets of sand or something, so I am wondering if anyone has used these with an inground pool similar to ours, and how has it worked out?

Thanks,
Jim

One thing you can also do to weigh them down is filling PVC pipe (3" pipe) with cement and capping them. You can then zip tie them somewhere under the steps. You will have to play with them to see when you have enough. They do need to be kind of easy to get off as you will need to take the steps out every once in a while to clean.

What I am doing to keep my wedding cake steps clean is pouring liquid chlorine on the off side of them with the pump on high. My hope is this will make sure the steps are getting "extra" FC. I am doing this about every three days. I will adjust as needed. This is my first full summer with the steps.

Kim:kim:

I think safety on the ladder should be your prinary concern, not a few holes in your pool deck. You already have strength and balance issues that can give you problems even on the new ladder.

Please put your safety first.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.