Damascus, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I may have found a solution to my lack of a rail needed for older relatives. I found the below while searching for temporary pool stairs on a lark and it would appear to be exactly what I am looking for. I measured my water level where I would want to put these and I think they will fit perfect. Anyone use these?

It was going to be $1200 to have a rail put in my pool with drilling and everything. These are $200 shipped!

Amazon.com : Confer Curve Inground Swimming Pool Steps with Blue Treads : Garden Outdoor

51ikFpq%2B5sL._SL1024_.jpg

Sometimes the gods smile on you... and throw you a bone!

As long as the measurements work, and the deck is able to take tapcons, you should be good to go.

Congratulations on the savings.

:cool:

Sometimes the gods smile on you... and throw you a bone!

As long as the measurements work, and the deck is able to take tapcons, you should be good to go.

Congratulations on the savings.

:cool:

I think this just sits there I was not going to attach it in any way. The stairs are designed to take sand to weigh them down.

If you notice the 2 flats coming off of the top uprights...
Those are there so you can secure them to your deck to prevent them from getting moved while someone with questionable balance is using them, and they don't go for a tumble.
- - - Updated - - -

You can look up the installation instructions online before you make your purchase.

Last edited:
If you notice the 2 flats coming off of the top uprights...
Those are there so you can secure them to your deck to prevent them from getting moved while someone with questionable balance is using them, and they don't go for a tumble.
- - - Updated - - -

You can look up the installation instructions online before you make your purchase.

Makes sense thanks! I hope it goes beyond my stone coping to the concrete then.

OK I got these in today. They take about 15 minutes to assemble. I put them in the pool and I think the height will work very well. Definitely will need sand in them they just float away other wise. The issue that I have is my pool slopes more than they can compensate for with the adjustable feet that are included. I need to raise the front feet (the side furthest from the deck) around 4" to make the stairs level. Any ideas? I was thinking about maybe a couple of stepping stones under the front but I don't want to mar my plaster. Oh - the arms do extend beyond my coping onto the cement so it will be no trouble to anchor these to the deck.

How ghetto are you willing to be for this solution? I am assuming that these are a not super common need since you said needed for older relatives.

I would get some sort of stepping stone, or paver that is 4" high or so. ANd then go to Walmart and get some sort of silicon pot holder, or drawer liner. SOmething that is maybe 1/16" to 1/18" thick and soft. Then glue that to the bottom of the stone to keep this in place. This will protect any marring of plaster. Then you need some way to secure the paver to the steps so they stay aligned. I would try to use cable ties and some strategic holes in the pavers and zip tie the stone to the bottom of the stairs.

This could be more elegant by replacing the stone/paver with somethign else, but the trick is that you dont want something that will float.

I have had those steps in my pool going on 3 years I never put anything under them and my liner has no wear marks.

You definitely need to anchor those two arms to the deck or the stairs move around alot. Even full of sand and water I can pull the whole set of steps out of the water with the hand rails. They are stronger than they look.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I found that 2 regular bricks work perfectly. I think HD sells rubber pavers. If so, I'll get those. I'll use 2 drill in cement anchors. With the 2 bricks it is very solid. Looks good too we will keep it in year round I think.

This link keeping stairs down brought me to this wonderful website when I was searching for how to hold wedding cake stairs.

I know you have found your solution using bricks but I just had to share this link it changed the quality of our daily pool experience into a Trouble Free Pool.

This link keeping stairs down brought me to this wonderful website when I was searching for how to hold wedding cake stairs.

I know you have found your solution using bricks but I just had to share this link it changed the quality of our daily pool experience into a Trouble Free Pool.

This link was great and gave me ideas for hanging the weights on the stairs. Filling with sand makes the unit very heavy so weights are a great alternative. Thanks!

Hi,

I was thinking of getting the same (Confer) stairs to put in the shallow end of our inground pool, but I really DON'T want to have to attach them (i.e., drill holes in the deck).

There were some answers or reviews on the Amazon page, where some folks said they were able to get by just by weighing the stairs down and drilling holes on the bottom. Has anyone been successful with that?

Also, I was thinking that instead of drilling holes on the deck, maybe I could run a strap or rope from the arms to spikes in the ground, just outside the deck itself? Then, cover the ropes/straps with something to prevent tripping?

Other than drilling into the deck, and possibly cause cracking, I am also worried that water will go down the holes during winter, and freeze.

Thanks,
Jim

Hi,

I was thinking of getting the same (Confer) stairs to put in the shallow end of our inground pool, but I really DON'T want to have to attach them (i.e., drill holes in the deck).

There were some answers or reviews on the Amazon page, where some folks said they were able to get by just by weighing the stairs down and drilling holes on the bottom. Has anyone been successful with that?

Also, I was thinking that instead of drilling holes on the deck, maybe I could run a strap or rope from the arms to spikes in the ground, just outside the deck itself? Then, cover the ropes/straps with something to prevent tripping?

Other than drilling into the deck, and possibly cause cracking, I am also worried that water will go down the holes during winter, and freeze.

Thanks,
Jim

What material is your decking? Do you have holes drilled for a safety cover? I think as long as the stairs are solid in the pool that the 2 holes you'll drill should not cause any issues. I have not drilled my holes yet but plan on drilling for 2 anchors and then screwing the stairs into those. You could use these without attaching them as we are doing now but I think if someone actually "needs" the stairs they will have an issue. You could just try weighing them down more but I think that will not be enough to stabilize them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.