Pulled the SWG Trigger !!! Pentair IC 60 on the way :)

Jul 12, 2011
Hey TFP !!!! After many years of the BBB I have finally decided to make the switch over to a SWG this season. I pulled the trigger on a Pentair IC 60. The pool store I bought it from was adamant that I didn't need anything that big and tried to sell me on the IC 40. I said NO...give me the IC 60. The pool is getting opened this week and the SWG is getting installed a week after.

I have read over the Pool School about the proper setting for the SWG. I have a 29,000 gallon pool and wanted to have my salt on hand when the installer is thee and ready to go once the SWG is installed. How many bags of salt should I get and have on hand to put into the pool???

I am pretty excited that my runs for bottles on chlorine will be significantly diminished :)

I was looking for our location and I found it in your signature. Any chance you could put it in your Member profile under Location?

Good choice on the SWCG size.

You need a salt test kit to see how much salt you have in your pool now. A K1766. TFTestkits.net sells them.

Use PoolMath for how much salt. If you have been using Sodium Hypochlorite for awhile, though you probably drain some water for winter, I would guess your current salt will be near 1000 ppm.

Take care.

Pat,

If your pool had zero salt, you would have to add 840 lbs. to get from zero to just under 3500 ppm...

The problem, as Marty has pointed out, is that your pool likely already has some salt in it now. The first thing you need to do is find out your current salt level..

One 40 lb. bag of salt, in your pool, will increase your salt level by 165 ppm...

You will want to add the salt and then, with the pump running, wait about 24 hours before firing your cell up...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Start putting in the salt now even before the cell is installed. Turn the cell on only after the salt is fully dissolved and at the correct ppm. If possible put in the purest salt you can buy. Use the Taylor test with a Speedstir to determine your salt level

Walmart sells 40lb Morton pool salt for around $6.50/bag.

013600769406_08020733.jpg
$5.67
NSI_Lowes_logo_no_tagline
works very well just dump in and brush around takes a few minutes for each bag my 29k pool took 18 bags it was only 1 year old and had close to 1000 ppm salt already so deff test before adding all the salt

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.