Starting CYA for the season?

Malico

Bronze Supporter
May 16, 2018
Macomb Twp, MI
Hey all,

Having a little trouble finding the answer to this and naturally previous advice from the pool store conflicts. I know with tablets, CYA will go up over time, but with a SWCG it should never go up correct?

In Michigan, pool season being 4 to 5 months at best, what should I start out with and what should be my target for CYA? Right now I am am at 40 based upon my test, pool store is telling me 28. I bought some solid stabilizer to throw in a sock, but just trying to determine what my target needs to be.

Thanks all!

With a SWG, we usually recommend CYA in the 60-80 range because they generate chlorine more slowly and steadily and the higher CYA protects better against UV burnoff. Plus FC shouldn't yo-yo as much as manually dosing once per day. So a little higher is okay.

But with you being that far north, UV burnoff isn't as much of a concern for you as it is for those of us in southern states. So you could easily get by with your CYA at 40. Just keep track of your FC and make sure your SWG is holding it steady from day to day. If it's slowly dropping, you can either raise the CYA (and your FC target accordingly) or increase the SWG run time/percentage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.