1.5 months into the season, and did a full test after a week of heavy rain (Questions)

summertimesadness

Gold Supporter
Aug 23, 2022
New Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
The rain has been brutal for the past week, and I've had drain the pool back down to acceptable water levels twice just this week.

As I am 1.5 months into the season, and with the transfer of water that happened... figured it would be a good time to do a full workup.

FC 9.0
CC .5
PH 7.6
TA 60
Salt 3000

The salt did drop 400 since I tested it last on 5/29.

The CYA is either 50 or 60.... its hard to tell.

The two questions I have are;

Should I raise the salt at all, or leave it alone and retest in a month?

I hate the CYA test (sorry!). It was 70 the last time I tested on 5/24. It definitely dropped probably with the rain and just naturally through me adding water every few days to a week.

Should I play it safe and add the equivelent of 10 and retest in a week or so? I just don't want to go over 80... and I prefer to stay in the middle of 70 like before.

Last edited:
70 is a nice number for CYA :)
Your device manual says you can keep your salt between 3,000 and 5,000, but ideally they recommend 3500. Per PoolMath you would need 80 pounds of salt to get 480ppm of salt, whereas 120 pounds in your size pool would give you 717ppm.

**Remember though- you dont want the device to be turned "on" if you're adding all that salt. Brush it around to help it dissolve and then turn the device back on the next day. If you need to raise your FC that day use Liquid Chlorine.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: summertimesadness
70 is a nice number for CYA :)
Your device manual says you can keep your salt between 3,000 and 5,000, but ideally they recommend 3500. Per PoolMath you would need 80 pounds of salt to get 480ppm of salt, whereas 120 pounds in your size pool would give you 717ppm.

**Remember though- you dont want the device to be turned "on" if you're adding all that salt. Brush it around to help it dissolve and then turn the device back on the next day. If you need to raise your FC that day use Liquid Chlorine.

Someone here said, IIRC to stay under their recommended amount by a hundred or so.

Should I add the equivalent of 10 for the CYA and then retest? I am not sure I want to add 20 (if it is 50) for 60, as it may actually be 60 and adding 10 would be a bit safer.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
I added 40 lbs of salt, should bring it up to 3200 to 3300. I'll retest in a few days.

Bought a pack of socks and some string. Should I wait till the salt dissolves and add the stabilizer tomorrow or does it not matter?

Those two "play nice" together as long as you're putting the salt into the pool, but the CYA into a sock or stocking hung over the side in front of a return. Don't let it sit on the wall as it can mar the vinyl. You can squeeze the CYA now and then to speed it up- milky fluid will appear. Its harmless to you.

Reactions: summertimesadness
Those two "play nice" together as long as you're putting the salt into the pool, but the CYA into a sock or stocking hung over the side in front of a return. Don't let it sit on the wall as it can mar the vinyl. You can squeeze the CYA now and then to speed it up- milky fluid will appear. Its harmless to you.

Put it in the skimmer awhile ago, turned off the timer (so it can run for 24 hrs) and I go out every hour or so and squeeze it.

Thanks for the help.

Pumps been running with the SWCG since yesterday. CYA sock method was complete around 9 last night.

Tested the FC this am and came in at 8. (Good) CC was 0. (Even better)

When to turn on the SCWG and test the CYA level? I ended up retesting the CYA before I put the sock in, and felt confident it was going to be 50, not 60.. so, I added 20 ppm worth, hopefully bringing it back to 70.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.