Gold Supporter
May 22, 2018
Elmhurst, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am getting some leaking from my side mount multi-port filter valve. It usually leaks a lot when I start up the pool, then slows down and even stops leaking. No leaks right now. This has been going on for a couple of years. When I backwash it may leak again for awhile, then stops. I have a TR60 Sand filter. Both filter and valve are more than 30 years old. Unfortunately, I just replaced the sand (tried Filterglass this time around) so I don't really want to replace the entire filter. In the past I have replaced some of the internal gaskets on the valve and it was better for a while. Also, when, the valve is in any position, there is "play" in the handle (up and down) of a couple of inches. I don't know if that is normal.

Is it time for a new valve? I probably will need to have a pool service company install it because I don't feel that confident about cutting and refitting the PVC piping connected to the valve. Pool service quoted about $600 to replace the valve... $240 for valve; $270 for labor and $50 for misc parts.

Is it time to replace the valve or should I try replacing gaskets again? Is the quote reasonable. Got a quote from Leslie's for $114 for the valve, but haven't asked the pool company if they will install if I supply the valve. Thinking they probably won't. Advice?

You can replace the handle assembly. It shouldn't have any play in it at all, and you probably have a bad spring. The whole top assembly (#1 on parts list) runs about $70 and doesn't require cutting the pipes to replace. If you want to replace the whole multiport, post a picture of your equipment pad including the filter and multiport position relative to the rest of the equipment and we can tell you if you have enough room and pipe to easily swap out multiport valves.

Last edited:
002.jpg003.jpg
Here are a couple of photos of the valve that I took recently. If you need a different shot, please let me know. Thanks for all the help. Would I purchase the E-50-S1 or the E-50 -S1B or another one if I just want to replace the top assembly? I assume this would just be taking out the screws, putting in the new top assembly and re-attaching. is it that simple? Thanks again for the help.

Sorry I posted the wrong information for your multiport valve. It should be this one, part number 20.
Hayward Multiport Vari-Flow 1-1/2 SP-710X, SP-712, SP-711 1976-Current Parts - INYOPools.com

It is more expensive then the one I linked to in the previous post, but still a lot less than a new mpv.

You should be able to unscrew the 6 phillips head screws and pull the old assembly out. Put some silicone pool lube on the new o-rings and install. If you want you can call the company you order from to make sure you have the correct part.

Thanks. I actually did take the top assembly off today, put some lube on the O-ring and the 5-spoke gasket inside and re-assembled. Still leaking, though. :( I have ordered the new assembly and new o-ring and gasket. Got the top assembly on Amazon for $60. :)

Hopefully, will get the parts to install this weekend and we'll see what happens. Do you know if the 5-spoke gasket inside needs to be glued in place or just pushed into the grooves? I will put some lube on the gasket, o-ring and install new assembly and we'll see what happens. It's been leaking for years (off and on) so will be great if this does the trick. I'll let you know. Thanks.

Thanks. Just watched a youtube video re: replacing the gasket by INYOPools. It showed just a dab of glue being applies at the end of each spoke on the gasket..... none near the center or along each spoke of the gasket? Is that enough?

Will any pool store have the Locktite glue recommended?

- - - Updated - - -

Also..... I don't have a "Winter" position on my valve. Should I move it to "Closed" before taking off the top assembly?

The gasket needs to be tight on the spokes, so it doesn't shift when the valve changes positions, so I would probably add a few more drops of glue. Any hardware store should have Locktite wherever they keep the adhesives and superglue. Putting the valve in closed position should be fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Changed the spider gasket and top assembly on my Hayward SP710 filter yesterday and it is running like a charm.... no water leaks or air leaks. Seems to be filtering better, as well.

First time in years that I haven't seen water around my pool equipment. I also noticed that it is holding vacuum from the skimmer line when I turn off the pump, even without closing the skimmer line valve. Should have done this repair a while ago! Pretty easy job. Thanks for the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.